April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (griz, eightbore, ClapperZapper, Jtplumb), 1,313 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,143
Members14,409
Most Online1,319
Apr 27th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
earlyriser, LetFly, mc, Recoil Rob, Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#641351 01/26/2024 8:11 PM
by LetFly
LetFly
Just acquired this used Skeets gauge. A couple of questions. One, can I remove and replace the dial micrometer with one of newer higher quality? If yes can i simply pull the dial out and insert a new one?Two, how do I go about calibration? The unit came with a piece of what appears to be pvc pipe. Not certain. Any help on use appreciated.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Liked Replies
#641440 Jan 29th a 01:14 AM
by eightbore
eightbore
Good luck with the .410 gauge.
2 members like this
#641507 Jan 30th a 01:31 AM
by LetFly
LetFly
Thank you for your replies. I have changed out the dial indicator for another higher-end digital indicator that I have as surplus. Indicator is a friction fit and pulls out quite easily. As this unit did not come with the calibration ring I have used a quality choke tube of known diameter +0.700 for calibration. This appears to work quite satisfactorily.
2 members like this
#641463 Jan 29th a 02:54 PM
by eightbore
eightbore
My solution to the .410 bore choke gauge situation is to use a "small hole gauge" and a micrometer. Both can be found on the internet for short money. Way cheaper than another bore micrometer. Maybe Stan will tell us what he uses to measure his .410 chokes.
1 member likes this
#641359 Jan 27th a 02:27 AM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Why would you have need to replace the gauge? Is it faulty or is there something about it that you just don't like? I've had two Skeet's gauges for many years and have never seen the need to replace anything on them. Just curious.
1 member likes this
#641384 Jan 27th a 07:14 PM
by Fudd
Fudd
Originally Posted by LetFly
...The unit came with a piece of what appears to be pvc pipe...

I suspect that slice of white pipe is a storage and/or transport protector for the measuring head. I'd certainly not rely on it for calibration.
1 member likes this
#641417 Jan 28th a 03:42 PM
by AGS
AGS
I have a two head model that I purchased new from Brownell's years ago. It came with the tool, two PVX protectors and two blued steel calibration rings. One is .700 and one is .600. With those two it will measure from 28 ga to a standard 10 ga (barely). Chambers only go through 12. I tried the PVC tubes and they are not even close to calibration. After years of use, then only problem is that one of the heads tends to slip loose under use so I stick on a piece of tape. When I get a chance I intend to put a set screw through the brass mount to get rid of depending on the slip fit. The small dial on the face of the main indicator is important to keep in order to correctly read the tenths since the dial runs over several revelations across the gauges. I have never found a need to change or remove it, so don't know exactly how the dial is attached. If you elect to change it be sure you use a multirevolution dial indicator. Anyone with a lathe should be able to make a calibration gauge. The stock ones are more of a tube form; smaller in OD and longer. The longer form is much easier to use in practice. It could be made from any piece of appropriate tubing and bored to ID.
1 member likes this
#641435 Jan 28th a 05:57 PM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
I have always thought that white ring, that is used for transport and storage, as Fudd said, was made of ceramic. I'll look a bit closer at it. I'm still curious as to why the OP wants to replace the gauge, unless it's faulty.

So, I am also wondering, did Dean Harris at Skeet's Gun Shop, in Oklahoma, make the Skeet's Bore Gauges ? I sure would love to have a tiny one to use on .410s.
1 member likes this
#641466 Jan 29th a 03:19 PM
by Daryl Hallquist
Daryl Hallquist
I have a 3 decade old Skeet's Bore Gauge. The sizing ring is .700" diameter. That ring fits somewhat loosely on the end of the gauge, so the smaller plastic ring was supplied to keep the sizing ring from falling off of the gauge when carrying it.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.