April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (Krag 1902, Fudd, LeFusil, 1 invisible), 401 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,207
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
67galaxie, BrentD, Prof, David Williamson, Drew Hause, earlyriser, Geo. Newbern, John Roberts, mc, Parabola, SKB, Stanton Hillis, Tamid, Ted Schefelbein, Tim Cartmell
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#641300 01/25/2024 6:36 PM
by Tamid
Tamid
I recently picked up an Ideal Long Range with ejectors and 3" chambers, mfg 1925 with London steel barrels. Patterned using 2.5" loads 1 1/8 oz and 3 drams BP I got 91% and 94% at 30yds with a 30' circle. Its in very good condition, shows good case colors, minimal wear and no cracks in the stock. Since it has 3" chambers and is the Long Range I expect it could take a higher psi load than a normal 2.5 or 2 5/8 chambered gun of the same vintage. Trying to decide on an appropriate 3" load for it. What would be the maximum 'safe' psi I should be cautious of?
Liked Replies
#641556 Jan 30th a 11:16 PM
by Drew Hause
Drew Hause
Desperately attempting to compose a coherent sentence but will try

This is Bro. David's pattern, which was published in the DGJ Volume 24, Issue 1, Page 137, 2013.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

The Long Range was introduced in 1923, but Hunter Arms records show that one was made in 1921 and an Eagle Grade Long Range in 1922. Only 14 were made in 1923. Total production of Long Range shotguns (1921-41) was 2,606, and of Wild Fowl 98 (1940-42).

Not all LRWF were made with 3 inch chambers, and should be marked "CHAMBERS 3 INCHES" in a semi-circle if so. And most, but not all, have the "reinforcing wedge barrel loop support"

In a 1927 Western Cartridge Co. advertising flyer for the "Super-X Long Range Load" by Capt. Chas. Askins, the "Sea and Bay Duck Load" is described as 1 1/4 oz. with 3 1/2 Drams (Dupont Oval) with a muzzle velocity of 1400 fps (modern numbers are measured 3 feet from the muzzle and would be about 1330 fps) and a breech pressure of 3 3/4 Tons or just below the current SAAMI 12g maximum of 11,500 psi.

I agree with everyone that the primary issue is cracking the head of the stock and would also agree having the stock glas bedded would certainly allow use of today's (non steel) waterfowl loads with confidence.

BTW: still plenty of women and children in Guatemala. We gave food to this family - 3 sisters and 10 kids, and another on the way, living in grandma's shack, with one man around. Some of the men who go to the U.S. return, but most start "2nd families' in the U.S. and never come back. Money sent home 1st goes to the man's parents.
The economy has recovered from the pandemic. There is hope with the election of an anti-corruption/reform President, but they've heard that before.
Until the curses of corruption, alcohol, gang crime/violence, and the machismo culture is cured by the transforming power of the Holy Spirit there really is no hope for the women and children however.

Happy kids with their gift bags

Lots more pics on our ministry Facebook page. I'm not selling anything so won't be sending my $12 to Dave keith wink God's gift of salvation by the atoning sacrifice of Jesus is free to sinners...who know they need a Savior
https://www.facebook.com/drew.hause.77
5 members like this
#641368 Jan 27th a 12:46 PM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
In the absence of low pressure reloads there is at least one commercially available load that I would not hesitate using in it continually. That is the B & P Comp One load, a 1 oz. load that has chamber pressure in the lower 8000 psi range, as I recall. Very mild recoil and velocity listed at 1160 which, IMHO, may be very nearly the perfect velocity for best patterning of target and upland birds. For even less stress on the old wood they offer a 7/8 oz. load as well.

https://baschieri-pellagriusa.com/competition/competition-one/

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
4 members like this
#641333 Jan 26th a 12:25 PM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Before I used any heavy loads in that Smith I'd have a tiny bit of relief done behind the lock plates and have the area glass bedded. I had one done like this some years ago and it has held up fine. No sign of the work is apparent from the outside and, if done properly, it prevents the almost inevitable cracking behind the tail of the lockplates.
2 members like this
#641385 Jan 27th a 07:19 PM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by earlyriser
Stan,
Is that an Iver Johnson in your photo? The shape and pin locations look like an Iver Johnson. If so, it appears to be in great shape, perhaps refinished?

Larry
It is Larry. It's an I. J. Special Trap. 32" full choked barrel. It was the only SBT made in America with an external hammer. I've got another I need to restore. I've got new wood semi-inletted for it.

Cool old poor man's trap gun. That one may have been refinished but if so it was a long, long time ago.

Edited to add: The 1931 Iver Johnson catalog listed it at $16.00 retail.
2 members like this
#641334 Jan 26th a 12:46 PM
by David Williamson
David Williamson
All 12 ga. L.C. Smith's were 2 3/4" chambers unless ordered differently and then the barrels water table would have the chamber length stamped on it.
In my opinion shooting near maximum psi in these old guns now is not a good thing.
1 member likes this
#641330 Jan 26th a 03:25 AM
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
Do you actually believe the head of the stock of that gun is up to 3” loads?

Have you had one apart?

Best,
Ted
1 member likes this
#641347 Jan 26th a 06:55 PM
by Tamid
Tamid
By a safe load I mean a load I can continually shoot and not have to worry about first, cracking the stock, and then loosening the action or bulging a barrel. I do agree with you Stan. On any suspect older guns I've always had them glass bedded. I'm also quite aware that advertised loads on a new gun 100 years ago may not be the best thing with the same gun 100 years later. I would be surprised if in the roll out of the Long Range models the advertising didn't mention what loads or psi could be used. Perhaps Darrel H. has some advertising material he could post. That would at least give me a starting point.
1 member likes this
#641377 Jan 27th a 04:44 PM
by Researcher
Researcher
The gun was made for the progressive burning smokeless powder, high velocity, 12-gauge 3-inch shell with 1 3/8-ounce of shot --

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

The 1 5/8-ounce, 12-gauge, 3-inch magnum load came out in 1935 along with the Winchester Model 12 Heavy Duck.
1 member likes this
#641339 Jan 26th a 03:24 PM
by docbill
docbill
I believe the Super Fox was used by Winchester to develop the Super X loads.
1 member likes this
#641367 Jan 27th a 12:31 PM
by Mills
Mills
The others beat me to it . . . The stock is the concern. There are plenty of lighter to moderate loads that will get the job done just fine
1 member likes this
#641380 Jan 27th a 05:21 PM
by Borderbill
Borderbill
Drew is in Guatemala at the missions now. He'll be back in a few days. The reports sound like it's been hard tiring trip.
1 member likes this
by Tamid
Tamid
Thanks Drew.
1 member likes this
#641397 Jan 28th a 03:36 AM
by keith
keith
Originally Posted by Borderbill
Drew is in Guatemala at the missions now. He'll be back in a few days. The reports sound like it's been hard tiring trip.

I'd imagine the hardest thing for the Preacher is finding people in Guatemala... since most of them are being lured by the anti-gun Democrat Joe Biden to illegally enter the U.S., at our expense. And you all wondered where those Trillions of "Build Back Better" dollars went.

He might find it far easier and less tiring to just become a Chaplain in the Texas National Guard. Then he could preach to Guatemalans, Hondurans, Venezuelans, Nicaraguans, Columbians, Bolivians, Syrians, and even Chinese illegals. And he won't have to give any immunization shots, since the illegals don't appear to be required to have the same vaccines as any young natural born U.S. citizens entering public schools. Think about that. I'm sure glad we no longer have to worry about communicable disease transmissions... except when we go to the polls to vote!

Then we need fear-mongering and lots and lots of absentee ballots, that take weeks to tabulate. Nothing to see here, so shut up and believe what you are told by CNN and MSNBC.
1 member likes this
#641584 Jan 31st a 03:24 PM
by Drew Hause
Drew Hause
Biden has typical Dementia-related gait changes (DRGC), not dystonia
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2515920/#:~:text=Gait%20disorders%20are%20more%20prevalent,an%20increase%20in%20support%20phase.
His confabulation (repeating false stories over and over), inappropriate behavior (esp. towards children) and emotional lability (going off on reporters and staff) are very bad signs

3 patterns keith, but I agree 10 would be better.

One of my favorites Steve. Clothing tossed in bins in the U.S. are bundled on pallets and shipped to Guatemala for sale. This kid (and his proud mama) was in the middle of nowhere in SE Guatemala with a KC Royals t-shirt from the 80s smile

1 member likes this
#641604 Jan 31st a 09:10 PM
by Drew Hause
Drew Hause
Hunter Arms affixed the loop with a screw and solder

Interesting x-ray showing the loop. Ignore the arrow indicating the bulged chamber from inexpert chamber lengthening frown

It was soon found that the loop did not survive a steady diet of 1 1/4 oz. 4 Dram Live Bird and Waterfowl loads

This is an early Fulton loop support

another

a version immediately the post-1913 "New Designs"

Most, but not all, LRWF had a more elegant 'reinforcing wedge'

As did most Trap and Skeet doubles with BTFEs

1 member likes this
#641605 Jan 31st a 09:14 PM
by Drew Hause
Drew Hause
Even the lowly Crescents had a crude reinforcing wedge

An A grade Fox

From The Parker Story

1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.