April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 410 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,229
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
earlyriser, John Roberts, Stanton Hillis, Ted Schefelbein
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#640710 01/12/2024 8:23 PM
by Carl Baird
Carl Baird
Bought a nice LC about 10 years ago with the receiver in the white...partial renovation. Sent it to my gunsmith to be charcoal case colored. Came back perfect. Put it in a sock and stored it away. Took it out several times over the course of 5 years and then left it alone. Recently, I pulled it out again and all the color has gone black on it. You can still see some color on it but basically it looks like it was re blued. My gunsmith uses Galazan lacquer and he has never heard of this happening...have any of you?
Liked Replies
#640814 Jan 14th a 08:13 PM
by Carl Baird
Carl Baird
Well, the results are in...it was the lacquer, the color is back. Before I send Ted updated pics, I'm gonna do a thorough cleaning.
Carl
2 members like this
#640715 Jan 12th a 10:05 PM
by Der Ami
Der Ami
Carl, Try running it through a sonic cleaner.
Mike
1 member likes this
#640739 Jan 13th a 03:55 PM
by Kutter
Kutter
Take a small part off of the gun that is CCH and has turned black.
A couple screws, or the forend latch plate if it has one.

Try cleaning just these small part(s) with something like acetone and see if the black disappears and the Colors re-appear underneath.

Acetone shouldn't harm any real case hardening colors.
It will cut through any lacquer or most any clear coat finish applied over it.
Maybe just that clear coat has turned color for some reason.

This will let you find out w/o disassembling the entire gun or having to take it/send it somewhere to have someone do a super-sonic cleaning.
1 member likes this
#640740 Jan 13th a 04:13 PM
by Der Ami
Der Ami
There was an older discussion about sonic cleaners and several mentioned that they brighten the colors on CCH actions. My intent was to try the least destructive methods first.
Mike
1 member likes this
#640747 Jan 13th a 06:39 PM
by John Roberts
John Roberts
I have seen a '50's vintage J. P. Sauer on which the lacquers were flaking and the case colors were coming off with the flakes. You could peel pieces off with your fingernail. What was left underneath was a dull French grey.
JR
1 member likes this
#640824 Jan 14th a 09:16 PM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
My opinion is, screw the lacquer. I don't use it on my guns with case color remaining and don't intend to. Keep a light coating of oil on them and keep it them in the dark.

Congratulations, Carl. Glad you had a successful outcome.
1 member likes this
#640829 Jan 14th a 10:56 PM
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
A long time ago, maybe ten years, I threw a bid on a 16 gauge Lefever Nitro Special, that was listed on gunbroker, with poor photos that showed barrels with furry rust on them. I regretted doing so almost immediately, but, consoled myself with the fact it was the first bid, and probably wouldn’t be the last.

I was wrong. I ended up winning the gun, a late production 2 3/4” with 26” tubes choked cylinder and mod, for $257. 6lbs, 2 ozs, for those silly enough to ponder such things, on a $250 gun.

When it got here, I was stunned. Yes, the barrels had some rust, but I turned those over to Ken61, a poster I haven’t seen in a while, and they looked like new when he was done. I had to tell him not to go finer than 320 grit, he thought they were nice enough to go London best, which, wouldn’t have been right in this gun. The stock finish was about 100%, as were the case colors. Stunning, stunning old gun.

I dismantled, cleaned, lubed and lacquered the case colors. I used the artist grade Krylon crystal clear in the can, laid it on a bit too thick, stripped it off in a pan of gun cleaner grade lacquer thinner, and then laid it on too thick again. Left that be.

The gun looks phenomenal. Working grade guns usually end up as beaters, and this one is anything but. I’d do it again in a heartbeat, but, not to a typical old gun.

I take it out to a spot that requires non toxic shot, I have a small stash of heavi-metal 1 oz loads, and enjoy the fact that my C R eligible 16 gauge is my non toxic gun.

I’ve lacquered a few. Depends on the gun, I wouldn’t do it to just any gun, but, some things that come my way that are very nice, I try to be a bit of a curator, rather than the guy who used it up.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Best,
Ted
1 member likes this
#640851 Jan 15th a 05:29 PM
by Bluestem
Bluestem
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
My opinion is, screw the lacquer. I don't use it on my guns with case color remaining and don't intend to. Keep a light coating of oil on them and keep it them in the dark.
I've got a Cole custom Beretta that was color case hardened by Doug Turnbull. I emailed Rich Cole about putting lacquer on it and here was his reply: "Even with a coat of lacquer the case colors can wear. I have also seen where moisture has gotten under the lacquer and rusted the surface metal. I am not a fan of coating the case colors of a gun."
1 member likes this
#640852 Jan 15th a 05:30 PM
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
Carl got his colors back:

Looks better, no?

Best,
Ted
1 member likes this
#640892 Jan 16th a 11:27 PM
by Carl Baird
Carl Baird
I put good old Tree Wax on. That's good stuff and has carnauba wax in it...tough wax. Anyone heard of it harming finishes?
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.