April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Mike Harrell), 413 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,229
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
canvasback, earlyriser, FallCreekFan, Geo. Newbern, GLS, graybeardtmm3, Hammergun, John Roberts, Karl Graebner, Lloyd3, mc, Parabola, SKB, Stanton Hillis, susjwp, Ted Schefelbein
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#640150 01/01/2024 8:35 AM
by Parabola
Parabola
Wishing All in the Forum a Very Happy, Healthy and Prosperous 2024

Parabola
Liked Replies
#640167 Jan 1st a 05:36 PM
by Lloyd3
Lloyd3
New Year's Eve oysters with champagne...gotta try that one sometime! Com'on Ted...average? Every year is a gift that needs to be lived to the fullest-extent possible. Fight all the battles that need to be fought and then... make the time to celebrate your life in your own way. Be it in the forests, fields & streams, or on on the lakes and oceans, get out there and drink in the sights and sounds. Heck, I still get a thrill rolling down a nice lonely stretch of road in my now-ancient muscle car, listening to the throaty roar of a big cubic-inch American V-8 coming up through the gears. The smile of a handsome woman, the laughter of a happy child, the wind through the trees above you, the waves on a shore, connect to these things and be part of the living world, and not just on it. Hunt & fish, break bread with your friends and family, drink good beers & fine wines with your meals, sit in front of fires and appreciate the heat and the light. Let the tempests blow around you and know that a new dawn will break for you the next day.

I would wish all of these things for everybody gathered here, people who appreciate beautiful things with a form that follows function. Tools with art and history and perhaps even a little magic folded into their making, that serve generations, faithfully and well, and that become heirlooms in their own right.

Make 2024 count
10 members like this
#640155 Jan 1st a 01:15 PM
by Argo44
Argo44
Happy New Year 2024 from Chincoteague Island looking SW towards Maurtania from whence the Sun rises.
1) oysters & champagne evening 31 Dec. (Chincoteague oysters are the saltiest and arguably the tastiest.)
2) When Dawn's rose fingers first touched the sky (Illiad) - nautical twilight 1 Jan;
3) Civil twilight 1 Jan.
4) Dawn of a new year.
(No filters on that I-phone. The colors are exactly what were presented to us by God).

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
7 members like this
#640162 Jan 1st a 03:46 PM
by Der Ami
Der Ami
2024 has started great for us, we have a new granddaughter in law, and our other granddaughter in law will give us our first greatgrandchild in April. Life is good.
Mike
4 members like this
#640366 Jan 6th a 01:41 AM
by Argo44
Argo44
I'm sure the bird on the top of the dead tree is the Merlin.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Falcons and Hawks. My close friend from Karachi days Jerry Anderson (well known on carpet boards - now deceased) in the mid 1970's trained, manned and sold Peregrins and Saker falcons to Arab Sheikhs during the hunting seasons in Pakistan. Here he is with a Saker. I once sat for 3 hours with one of his wren falcons on my wrist "manning him." She flew and when I tapped a piece of meat on the glove she came at full speed from a hundred yards and landed softly. It was like having a cruise missile in your hand.

and since they have a SxS weapon (talons) this is apt for the board. And I'm thinking the "Wren Falcon" I manned in Pakistan was in fact a Merlin also known as a Pigeon Falcon.
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Merlin/overview#

Merlins are widespread, particularly in migration and winter, but seeing them is unpredictable. They have two modes: scanning open areas patiently from a treetop, and cruising at top speed in pursuit of small birds.

https://www.merlinfalconry.com/training-merlins

Stanton, they will hunt doves for you.
4 members like this
#640437 Jan 7th a 03:59 AM
by Argo44
Argo44
Since we've wandered from Happy New Year to Falcons, I'd like to make one last off-the-cuff comment on landscape photography. For the low-lands, marshes, grass prairies of the east coast especially Florida, Georgia, and NC, the quintessential "horizontal landscapes," I sort of take the advice of the "Luminists" a 19th century school of landscape painters which wasn't really a school, just a body of knowledge. . .Emphasize the sky, low horizon - 1/3rd or less of the painting, and try to have some small human scale element in the foreground to give it relevance (This from 19th century landscape prints.)

Martin Heade is my favorite painter and in the mid 1880's he moved to Saint Augustine and became "Florida's painter". This is my favorite "The Great Florida Sunset" 4' x 8' plus - it used to be in the Flagler Hotel in Saint Augustine but now resides in Winona, Minnesota in a museum which paradoxically houses some of the great paintings of the 19th and 20th century. (In a Boy Scout camp in 1959 we had to swim a mile across the Saint John's and knowledge of that country maybe led me to Vietnam).

3 members like this
#640151 Jan 1st a 08:58 AM
by Fudd
Fudd
I shall happily echo your sentiment. May the coming year treat you all better than the previous one did.
1 member likes this
#640164 Jan 1st a 04:05 PM
by Karl Graebner
Karl Graebner
The very best for the New Year!
Karl
1 member likes this
#640177 Jan 1st a 10:32 PM
by canvasback
canvasback
Originally Posted by Lloyd3
New Year's Eve oysters with champagne...gotta try that one sometime! Com'on Ted...average? Every year is a gift that needs to be lived to the fullest-extent possible. Fight all the battles that need to be fought and then... make the time to celebrate your life in your own way. Be it in the forests, fields & streams, or on on the lakes and oceans, get out there and drink in the sights and sounds. Heck, I still get a thrill rolling down a nice lonely stretch of road in my now-ancient muscle car, listening to the throaty roar of a big cubic-inch American V-8 coming up through the gears. The smile of a handsome woman, the laughter of a happy child, the wind through the trees above you, the waves on a shore, connect to these things and be part of the living world, and not just on it. Hunt & fish, break bread with your friends and family, drink good beers & fine wines with your meals, sit in front of fires and appreciate the heat and the light. Let the tempests blow around you and know that a new dawn will break for you the next day.

I would wish all of these things for everybody gathered here, people who appreciate beautiful things with a form that follows function. Tools with art and history and perhaps even a little magic folded into their making, that serve generations, faithfully and well, and that become heirlooms in their own right.

Make 2024 count

I knew I liked Lloyd for a reason. What a great way to start the new year.

Thanks Lloyd and thanks to all my other friends here. Happy New Year to you all.
1 member likes this
#640194 Jan 2nd a 07:22 PM
by Lloyd3
Lloyd3
You're welcome James. I had to go back and re-read that to make sure my pain meds weren't making me too-loopy, but it seems to be ok.
1 member likes this
#640178 Jan 2nd a 03:05 AM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
You too, James.
1 member likes this
#640283 Jan 4th a 04:08 AM
by Argo44
Argo44
Just to finish the New Year at the usual haunt on Chincoteague. Here are two photos from January 1 of the beach and the wild horses. (there was a lady next to me getting out a yard long lens saying, "It's a Merlin, my life is complete." I can't identify that bird from this photo but it's surely there (there is a bird perched on the tip of the dead tree in the center but it looks too large to be a "Merlin").

1 member likes this
#640383 Jan 6th a 01:16 PM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
A very interesting hawk to watch in my neck of the woods is the Harrier. Their ability to hover, with the wind in their face and providing lift, is amazing to watch. The Marine Corps fighter jet, which a VTOL aircraft, is justly named for this hawk. Their flight is seemingly effortless. Another type that I enjoy watching, when they migrate through here in the late spring, is the Mississippi and Swallow-Tailed Kite(s).

I and convinced, after a lifetime in the fields and woods observing raptors, that no commonly seen hawk is as efficient in catching it's prey as the Sharp-Shinned Hawk (Blue Darter) and it's closely related family of smaller, woods dwelling hunters like the Cooper's Hawk. I have been sitting in my truck in the edge of a field watching wild quail feeding on the field edge, or border, and had a Blue darter come from behind me at top speed, right over the roof of my pickup, and nail a hapless quail in a cloud of feathers. Big hawks like Red-Tails miss their prey very often, but the smaller ones I mentioned are so maneuverable in flight that almost nothing can escape them. They also prey heavily on songbirds, IME. I often see a pitiful Towhee or Cardinal desperately trying to escape a Blue darter by flying at full speed through the tree limbs, dodging and jiving, but the BD will inevitably be within 6 ft. behind it matching every turn. The outcome is almost always not good for the songbird.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.