April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jtplumb, Marks_21, fab500, Fudd, 2 invisible), 451 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,159
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
BrentD, Prof, Drew Hause, graybeardtmm3, KDGJ, Parabola, Ted Schefelbein
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Vol423
Vol423
I don't think I've ever encountered proofs marked this way. And the chambers are marked 2-5/8". What time period would they have been applied? Photos: https://imgur.com/gallery/C6xSCOi
Liked Replies
by gunman
gunman
For some reason Westley's unlike other Birmingham Makers got the proof house to stamp on the barrel tubes , A hang over to earlier times . Never knew why .
As for sleeving 99.9% sure its all original as -
1 its not marked sleeved .
2 sleeving was under 1954 rules of proof as it was not common practice until the early 60's
3 it would not have been marked up this way with all the trade marks
4 members like this
by KDGJ
KDGJ
The gun was ordered with a rubber cheek pad and rubber butt pad. These were replaced with wood inserts. It also has a greener safety. This is the number 1 gun of a pair.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ken
2 members like this
by Drew Hause
Drew Hause
Unfortunately low resolution & small image
IF that is 1 1/8 to the R of the NITRO PROOF the marks would 1925-1954 with the (odd) chamber length
Probably just the terrible image but could there be sleeve lines at the arrows?
It looks suspiciously like the flats were polished and old proof marks removed?

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Another WR from 1928 also with Westley Richards Special Steel (but a different mark) also with the proof marks on the barrels. Reproof marks are on the flats as expected

Maybe just a WR thing?
1 member likes this
by KDGJ
KDGJ
Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof
Originally Posted by Drew Hause
1933 2" WR with proof marks on the barrels

Drew, is this one marked "FOR 2" CASE ONLY" on the top of the right barrel or the rib? I'm don't think it is a Skimin and Wood 2" but perhaps I'm mistaken. I think Wesley and Richards made 2" guns later than some of the other makers and probably with their own actions? I recall seeing one or two for sale somewhere that were definitely not S&W actions.

BrentD,

This my gun and is a best WR boxlock not a Skimin and Wood. It was made for the Maharaja of Alwar.

Ken
1 member likes this
by KDGJ
KDGJ
No I don’t have the number 2 gun. It would be interesting to see it turn up, but not holding my breath. The gun has 27” barrels.

Ken
1 member likes this
by BrentD, Prof
BrentD, Prof
Originally Posted by KDGJ
No I don’t have the number 2 gun. It would be interesting to see it turn up, but not holding my breath. The gun has 27” barrels.

Ken

In the unlikely event I see it, I'll be sure to let you know. Quite a gun.
1 member likes this
by Parabola
Parabola

A Greener side safety combined with Westley Richards lever work is certainly unusual, but not unheard of.

This J.V. Needham, made by W.W. Greener in the late 1880’s with a first model Facile Princeps action, is an earlier example.

1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.