April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (cpa, JDH, Jimmy W, Pwog, MD2, 1 invisible), 351 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,226
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
28 gauge shooter, battle, campero, DAM16SXS, DropLockBob, GLS, ithaca1, John Roberts, Jtplumb, Karl Graebner, LeFusil, mc, Mills, NCTarheel, Parabola, Stanton Hillis, Ted Schefelbein, Tim Cartmell
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by ed good
ed good
what have been your experiences?
Liked Replies
by battle
battle
There are no cons...
5 members like this
by Bob Cash
Bob Cash
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

6 lbs even with either 28 inchers and a BTFE of 30 inchers and a SFE
4 members like this
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
My only 28 gauge. I’ll shoot it more, someday, when I’m old.

Best,
Ted

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
4 members like this
by DoubleTake
DoubleTake
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I took a 28 gauge Rizzini to northern Iowa today. I haven't had the gun very long and this is the result of my 3rd shot. The first opportunity was a real close one and I missed with both barrels. Ugh! I berated myself for a while for taking an unfired gun, let alone a 28 gauge. We then had some wild flushes that were in the next area code. Finally Zeb worked a runner out of a frozen grassy creek and ended up pointing it in an adjacent CRP type field and this time I didn't miss. I used the modified and improved modified tubes and in the end plain old IC/Mod would have been fine for the shots were close. I've taken plenty of pheasants this year so I was prepared to forgo the long shots.The load was the Fiocchi Golden Pheasant 7/8 oz 6's.

Pros: The 28 was a delight to carry.

Cons: None today!
4 members like this
by Lloyd3
Lloyd3

My affordable solution to the 28-gauge question, a Turkish "Dickenson" (their 28-gauge version on the .410 frame). Not a "fine" gun but decent-enough just the same and a good introduction to the gauge for me. I have a now-older buddy that uses it when he flys up to visit me in the North Country in October and he simply loves it. At 14 3/4 LOP, 28-inch tubes and 5 1/4 lbs it fits most adult males and the shells look more-like .410s than 20s. A pocket-full of them weigh almost nothing and should carry you all through a full day of hunting. I had to have the heavy triggers lightened (by their service rep who balked a bit at the weights I wanted) and I then had to add some oil to the original finish (which was pretty thin) but otherwise, it's quite serviceable now. This one even has .410 tubes (which I've yet to really use.)

Upon delivery...

When a 6-lb gun becomes too-much for me...
3 members like this
by Mills
Mills
28 and 16 are my two favorite upland gauges.
3 members like this
by battle
battle
One of my little 28 bores. MacNaughton round action. Weight is 4-9oz.

3 members like this
by keith
keith
Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof
Originally Posted by Fudd
Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof
What's going on in the piercing in the top lever?

Skeletonized. Like drilled accelerator, brake, and clutch pedals in a race car. "Add lightness."

Yes, I realized that.

However, there is a tang bolt going down to the trigger bar, but what is the second bolt head behind it?

Most knowledgeable gun guys call those things screws, not bolts. The English call them pins... but certainly not bolts. When we see a round headed fastener with a screw slot, we don't call it a "bolt head". They are tightened or loosened with screwdrivers (or turnscrews). The average housewife might call them bolts, or even nails. And we would be mildly amused.

The Nutty Professor, who gets all picky about Ted referring to his carelessly blown up Rock Island built Springfield Model of 1903 rifle as a "Springfield", ought to be more precise with common gun terminology. How can someone who thinks he is so smart and superior be such a total doofus on a regular basis?
3 members like this
by John Roberts
John Roberts
The 28 gauge is for relief of boredom. A 20 ga. with 3/4 Oz. loads neutralizes any need for a 28 ga. Yes, it's a hair smaller across the breech face, and yes, the shells are a wee bit smaller in the pocket. Nothing really worth much. There are some really slim and trim 20 gauge guns that will match a 28 gauge's handling qualities. Otherwise, it's just a boutique gauge with guns to match. It serves no other practical purpose. But since when does practicality matter to anyone who wants a 28 gauge?
JR
2 members like this
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
..lit has become my second favorite quail/woodcock gun, with 3/4 ounce loads.

Yes, but, what's your favorite. Mister Hillis? Because this could be interesting.

My favorite is a A H Fox 20 ga. Sterlingworth Ejector with 28" barrels. I had Dean Harris open the chambers to 2 3/4", and also opened the chokes to .006" R and .016" L. It fits like a glove. I pondered the choke constriction for awhile before deciding on those, and have been well pleased with the choice.

Regarding weight ....... I do not need a bird (quail/woodcock) gun any lighter than it is. I have some lighter, but I shoot the Sterly 20 better than the ultralight ones.
2 members like this
by LeFusil
LeFusil
Or….its skeletonized so you can view the Crystal window for the cocking indicators.
The lever is unusually long as well, necessary because the action is cocked by the lever.
2 members like this
by Fudd
Fudd
I have two side-by-side 28s. I can carry an entire Skeet round's cartridges to the line in my mouth, as might a chipmunk. No need for a vest. They weigh about as much as Mary Poppins's bumbershoot. The ammunition's more expensive than 12-gauge, though, but I simply eat ramen all winter. They are very small, and I often have to resort to a loupe to find them in their cases. Assembly prior to joining the line requires the assistance of a watchmaker. They often cause other shooters to suspend their disbelief. "Is that some sort of Weirauch?"

Distillation: I'm ambivalent about the 28-gauge.
1 member likes this
by Fudd
Fudd
I regret that my comment offended you. I was certainly being silly, but I meant no insult.
1 member likes this
by Fudd
Fudd
Merci. Peace.
1 member likes this
by DropLockBob
DropLockBob
The sideline pundits are easily confused. Some of them have only read half the brochures. If that.

Perhaps if you actually read the "brochures" you speak of, you possibly would know that Weirauch made target rifles, in addition to air guns. I own one.

Loved your post. Right up until your silly insult.
1 member likes this
by Jimmy W
Jimmy W
Red Label!! Its a shame they didn't keep making those. I have seen a few Gold Labels recently in really nice shape that I would love to have, but a $5000.00 price tag is a bit steep for me. Glad to hear that your son does so well with his, Bob. Good luck!!
1 member likes this
by BrentD, Prof
BrentD, Prof
Originally Posted by campero
It's been my favorite caliber for many years. When I discovered it, I thought it was a smaller caliber. When you start with this caliber, you go through moments of great satisfaction and disappointment for not hunting or shooting with larger calibers. Pieces that you think you could have charged with the 20 or 12 are missing, but the key is that you have to know this caliber, its benefits and limitations. So far I've owned six 28-gauge shotguns: parallel, juxtaposed, and semi-automatic. Now I have my companion for life: a very special hammer shot from the 19th century.

Once you go through the first stage with this caliber, when you go from a larger caliber to this delicious caliber and in which you still don't know it well, the days of hunting and enjoyment arrive. Every cast is a bigger challenge; Each piece charged is valued much more and, in the end, what matters is the quality and not the quality. It is a caliber that I consider the younger brother of the 16 caliber because of its forcefulness and great punch, even with fewer grams of pellets.

ADVANTAGES: The cartridges weigh less, shotguns usually weigh less than those of larger calibers, the casts and the pieces charged are much more valued and the enjoyment of hunting and breaking targets is, for lovers of this caliber, much greater. In addition, there is a wide variety of cartridge models.

DRAWBACKS: The price of cartridges, although now in Spain the price of other larger calibers has skyrocketed.

P.S. I'm sorry I didn't know how to write all this in English.

P.S. 2: Long live the 28 caliber!

I hope the translation is about right. You sound a lot like Bill Hannus when he was trying to convince me to hunt pheasants with a 28 gauge. I've never tried it. I'm sure it works for those that are very good shots and very patient to wait for the best opportunities. But I feel more comfortable with more lead in the air.

Maybe someday, I'll take the plunge. Until then, I'll admire the enthusiasm of the 28 gauge guys.
1 member likes this
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
My only 28 is a FAIR Verona O/U that is part of a 28/.410 set. I bought it with the intention of using it for sub-gauge events at NSCA sporting tournaments. It has served well in that regard but I have found that it is a wonderful quail gun. It's 30" barrels are no hindrance at all to quick, covey-rise shooting, and it has become my second favorite quail/woodcock gun, with 3/4 ounce loads.
1 member likes this
by GLS
GLS
Surprisingly (at least to me) a box of 7/8 oz. 20 ga. Federals weighs only 4.2 oz. more than a box of 28 ga. 3/4 oz. AA's. I would have guessed the difference to be significantly more. Most of the weight difference is obviously in lead (3.125 oz.) Gil
1 member likes this
by Lloyd3
Lloyd3
Researcher: For me, the solution to "whippy" lighter guns is longer barrels. I'd like my little Dickenson even better if it had 30-inch barrels. I'd guess that in any lighter gun, no-matter the gauge, longer barrels will help that.
1 member likes this
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by John Roberts
The 28 gauge is for relief of boredom. A 20 ga. with 3/4 Oz. loads neutralizes any need for a 28 ga. Yes, it's a hair smaller across the breech face, and yes, the shells are a wee bit smaller in the pocket. Nothing really worth much. There are some really slim and trim 20 gauge guns that will match a 28 gauge's handling qualities. Otherwise, it's just a boutique gauge with guns to match. It serves no other practical purpose. But since when does practicality matter to anyone who wants a 28 gauge?
JR

My 20 gauge Darne V19 actually weighed less than my 28 gauge V19. Seems like the wall thickness is thicker on the 28.

Wasn’t it ChuckH who said that once you drive past a Kentucky Fried Chicken any notion of practicality in this entire endeavor is out the window?

I haven’t hunted the 28 I own, just took it out and missed a few clay birds with it.

Demanding little mistress.

Best,
Ted
1 member likes this
by BrentD, Prof
BrentD, Prof
Originally Posted by battle
Originally Posted by DropLockBob

That's a nice'un! Wanna sell it? 2 1/2 chambers, I presume?

Well if I did, I’d need a bunch.

No doubt. That's a heck of a beautiful gun and at that weight, I bet it is fun to shoot.

What's going on in the piercing in the top lever?
1 member likes this
by ed good
ed good
1 member likes this
by DropLockBob
DropLockBob
Originally Posted by DropLockBob

That's a nice'un! Wanna sell it? 2 1/2 chambers, I presume?

Well if I did, I’d need a bunch. I do have this new in box & cased AYA no2 28 I would sell.

Aya's are nice guns. I'm tempted, but I already have one in .410. I'm kinda in english shotgun mode at the moment. Love that MacNaughton.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.