April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Mike Harrell), 200 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,483
Posts545,257
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
HistoricBore, Parabola
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Fudd
Fudd
Fudd has subsequently been declared fiscally irresponsible and is now a ward of the state. (Don't fret; not your tax dollars, most of you.)

I still don't know what compelled me, aside from getting old and 'You only live once.' But I gone and done it. The specifications of this particular example may have had some motivating effects, though. To wit:

Rizzini BR550 round body, 28-gauge specific
28" barrels
Ejectors
Pistol-grip butt, splinter forend
Single selective trigger
Non-automatic safety
Interchangeable carbon steel flush chokes, nickel-plated, in the five usual constrictions
Weighs under 6lbs, per the sales literature (ain't actually weighed it yet, but I don't figure they were fibbin')
Interesting, somewhat idiosyncratic wood with a great big knot in the buttstock that reminded me of my father's sporterized Lee-Enfield No. 4
Lovely but wholly impractical wooden buttplate

I was staring at the ad, staring at the pictures, reading the manufacturer's website, and thinking, It's like they've built my platonic ideal of 28-gauge clay pigeon shotgun. Well, for Trap, anyway. Hrrrm. I rubbed my chin for a while, and finally sent a cautious enquiry. Does it have rabies? Which chokes does it come with? Is it cased? Is there any Turkish writing in the rollmarks, anywhere at all? Will I suddenly develop an addiction to bucatini? Do you accept payment in Maria Theresa silver thalers?

What sealed the deal was, when I squintily asked the dealer if flush Skeet chokes were available for it, he immediately checked with the mother ship and told me they had a half-dozen on the shelf. I asked him if he'd throw a pair of 'em in. He averred that he would.

He also picked up the postage and insurance -not inconsiderable money.

Ka-ching.

So. It has arrived, and weather and circumstances finally permitted me to shoot the thing today. Four rounds of Trap; I didn't like the hubbub going on at the Skeet fields today; there were groups going through, and I didn't want to be getting to know a new-to-me shotgun with a party going on behind me. Besides, Trap, for me, encourages rhythmic, deliberate, ritual thought. It's like Free Pistol compared to Skeet's Rapid-Fire Pistol, by my lights. And I've enjoyed shooting both. But if I want to get to know a new firearm.... Slow things down a bit.

Good decision.

Full disclosure: I'm not a competent shot with a shotgun. Yet. I'm deliriously happy when I break more than 18/25 at Trap, whether with 12-gauge or 28-gauge.

First round: Shot like a plug. A dirt-clod. A self-propelled sandbag. An oxygen thief unworthy of owning such a pretty, well-made firearm. Second round, I said 'machts nichts, the shotgun can't be the problem.' I settled my mind and analyzed and refined my technique. I more than doubled my score. Third and fourth rounds, I improved by a satisfying margin, and I was pulverizing the porcelain penguins most of the times I hit them. They'd just cease to exist. Right out of the house, many of them.

Seeing that tiny little cartridge wreak such devastation on wee-little flying objects... This was a pretty decent Saturday.

And I've said this about the Browning Superposed Skeet I received just before this Italian job arrived, but it bears repeating: The shotgun was transparent. None of it ever got in the way, in any way I could tell.

Verdict: Should someone ever hand you a 28-gauge BR550 and offer you a go at Trap with it? It might not be a waste of your ticket.

Just choke it at least Modified. And you'll make those snarky orange saucers disappear without trace.

Next time out, I intend to use the delicate little thing for Skeet. Should be interesting.
Liked Replies
by Shotgunjones
Shotgunjones
I enjoy my Rizzini SxS.

If they haven't changed the design since mine was made in 2007 the forend latch release button shaft is secured with a 1.5mm hex drive set screw.

I highly advise you obtain the correct wrench and reset that in with thread locker.
1 member likes this
by Shotgunjones
Shotgunjones
That one.

You will note it stops the rotation of the threaded rod on the end of which is the Anson latch push button.

Believe it or not if that screw is loose the rod can rotate enough to fall out.

Mine did, and apparently this is a known issue.

I have no clue if they Locktite those at the factory now. They should.

Fortunately I found the part on skeet station 7. The gun won't come apart without the button.

A mid-bead from a Krieghoff is still out there.... someplace.

You'd think for what this hardware sells for they wouldn't fall apart...
1 member likes this
by Fudd
Fudd
Merci. Merci beaucoup. I have a 1.5mm hex key in hand. Just tried it, fingertip pressure, just to see if it'd move, and the grub screw rotated immediately. No evidence of thread-locker.

You're very kind to point this out. Time to (1) reach for the duct tape and (2) write to their export sales manager, whose name I have.
1 member likes this
by Fudd
Fudd
Originally Posted by Vol423
...the 16s are built on 20 ga frames...

Ooh. That's my way of thinking, if the engineering math permits it. To clip-quote Colin Chapman: "Add lightness."

That should be a very interesting shotgun.
1 member likes this
by HistoricBore
HistoricBore
I was in a local English gunshop two years ago for a tiny repair on the Webley, and the owner stuck a 16 bore BR550 in my hands saying "You need one of these..." It was indeed a fine gun, with great wood, built on the 20 gauge frame and so with fixed chokes, which I prefer. As Covid was rampant I deferred.

Then my wife said, out of the blue:" I'll buy it for you - it looks nice".

Big mistake - I said no. They don't seem to be importing many now...

HB
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.