April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (j7l2, Steve Nash, canvasback, cpa, earlyriser, 1 invisible), 498 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,160
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
DaveB, earlyriser, Jimmy W, NCTarheel, Parabola, Ted Schefelbein
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#638423 12/02/2023 6:02 PM
by Argo44
Argo44
DaveinMaine asked me to post this for him: His analysis:

The gun is from Aime Maisonnial. S/N 12xx Best estimate is mid-20s or maybe 30s, given the Art Deco-ey carving. Barrels are Jean Breuil, 28+ inches (I'll say 71 cm - no metric ruler in my house), choked full and full, swamped rib, perfect bores and lots of meat in them. It's double-proofed at St. Etienne, with Birmingham proofs atop those. 12 ga, 2.5 inch. Strong ejectors, in time. Automatic safety. Good lockup - very solid.

I took it in to be checked out by Steve Dalzell. He really, really liked it. The cheeks of the stock showed vise marks, which Steve repaired. It came with the original horn butt plate which was really ratty. I needed about 3/8 or 1/2 inch more LOP, so Steve did an ebony butt plate to match the existing wood. There was a bit of grit in the safety, making it hard to push. That was fixed. We believe the receiver was French grey from the start - there is no sign of CCH anywhere. All the internals are finished to a high polish and numbered to the gun. Best guesstimeate is it was a bespoke gun, probably sold through Paris. May have been a pigeon gun. Made its way to England at some point, then was imported by someone in Maryland. They put it up on gunbroker.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My analysis pretty well echos Dave's:

French Markings:
. .On barrel flats:
. . . . .-- Jean Breuil – Saint-Étienne barrel maker
. . . . .-- SGDG - "Sans Garantie du Gouvernment" - patented but not guaranteed by the government.
. . . . .-- CANONIER ST. ETIENNE - Barrel maker Saint-Étienne
. . . . .-- Choke Rectifie Delalle – Barrels bored by Delalle
. . . . .-- 65 – 2 ½” chambers in mm (post 1921)

. .On barrels
. . . . .-- 18.3 – 12 Gauge
. . . . .-- Originally Double proofed in the Saint-Étienne proof house for PT powder
. . . . .-- *JB* - Jean Breuil
. . . . .-- A. MAISONNIAL – Likely Aime Maisonial. See information and video on this line:
https://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=605133&page=1
. . . . .-- 1245 – Either Maisonial’s or Breuil's SN
. . . . .-- left barrel: Canon de Surete - Garantie - Double Epreuve = Safety barrels - guaranteed- double proofed
. . . . .-- right barrel: Crochets encastrés - xxxxxbloc-yyerence Parfait = Fitted lumps - "xxxbloc" (photo not clear) - Perfect "yyerence" (photo not clear)
. . . . .-- Marque Depose - registered trademark

Scroll back filed boxlock receiver; minimal engraving
Uses the VC "Helicegripp" system top lever
Barrels likely are the standard French 27 1/2"
Nice wood on the stock with standard French half grip.
Someone has removed the standard French sling swivels from the stock and forend.

UK Markings
. . . . .-- Reprooved in Birmingham, England between 1945-1989: (Wonder if this is a war trophy gun?)
. . . . .-- 2 ½” chambers,
. . . . .-- .729” – 12 gauge
. . . . .-- 3 tons
Liked Replies
#638467 Dec 3rd a 01:23 AM
by Argo44
Argo44
Left out a really good photo Dave sent:

5 members like this
#638428 Dec 2nd a 07:07 PM
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
If the bores still measure .729 and the chambers haven’t been opened past 2 1/2”, that is a victory right there in an old French gun.

Fab likely knows where that action was produced, it is a very common boxlock, usually sold in the white, that was used by everybody in France and Belgium. You don’t see many with ejectors, fewer still with single triggers, but, both are out there.

Nice gun. In the ball park on age, take it out hunting or to the club.

Best,
Ted
1 member likes this
#638435 Dec 2nd a 08:37 PM
by Dave in Maine
Dave in Maine
Thanks for the kind words. The bores are perfect and the chambers 2.5". This is a double-trigger gun. It seems clear the swivels were removed. The pictures don't show it, but there's an insert that might be ivory but is more likely white plastic in the hole where a swivel once graced the buttstock. The swivel on the bottom rib, OTOH, was nicely, cleanly removed and not a trace left by whomever did it.

I like the gun. It is quite lively in the hand and carries light. At the same time, there's enough weight and the balance is a bit forward of the hinge such that when it swings it does not want to stop swinging.

The 1245 is most likely Maisonnial's s/n. Also not pictured, the number is repeated on the action flats, inside the fore-end and on the internal parts.
1 member likes this
#638477 Dec 3rd a 03:13 AM
by Argo44
Argo44
There are known posts for Delalle - this one has the 6.5mm chamber in cm which we've been looking at - pre 1919? or 1921?

Also mentioned in previous BBS posts:
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=98663

had three sliding breech shotguns. One was a Darne: one of the others was a Charlin Automatique. Proofed in St Etienne, double proof (the Darne had treble proof). I don't know what the 'automatique' was about. The other was a Delalle, also St Etienne proofed (single proof). The Delalle was dated 1914. All had mechanisms identical to the Darne.

The fact the Delalle was boring barrels in the 1900's - 1910's would seem to push the date of the gun to the 1920's. Perhaps FAB500 can tell us who was Delalle.
1 member likes this
#638478 Dec 3rd a 03:33 AM
by Steve Nash
Steve Nash
Great style on the ‘pistol’ grip, I must say. Really goes well with the engraving pattern. Thanks for sharing.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.