May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (HMAK, liverwort, 1 invisible), 1,039 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,507
Posts545,622
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Jimmy W, John Roberts, Karl Graebner, Parabola, Stanton Hillis, Tim Cartmell
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Fudd
Fudd
Offered for discussion.

I've been on a bit of an acquisitive tear in the past couple of months, and as a result, have three new doubles to my name- a disparate pair of over-unders built for serious skeet, and a weird, delicate Italian side-by-side farm implement built for, umm, looking pretty and possibly scaring ruffed grouse and spruce grouse out of their feathery little wits. During this period of "take my money", I naturally examined several dozen sales ads on numerous sales and trading fora, and bricks-and-mortar shop websites. The number of times I read an advert and had to contact the seller to ask basic questions such as "How long are the barrels?" "How's it choked?" "Is that a selective or non-selective single trigger?" "Do you think it'd stop a Yukon Gold potato in a charge?" still amuses me. So I've been wondering what this hive mind would consider the bare minimum of data required in a double-barrelled shotgun sales ad. For the general and possibly-interested market, I mean.

I'll start. Were I to list my old Browning B-SS (which is for the moment damned unlikely) on a site that doesn't permit photo upload and I had no photo hosting service available, this is how I'd do it:

FOR SALE: BROWNING B-SS 12-Gauge Shotgun, 28" barrels

Browning B-SS shotgun, side-by-side, 12-gauge, 2-3/4" chambers, 28" barrels

• Condition: Wrecked. Off-face. Clatters like an old Zippo.
  • Serial number places it beyond the salt-wood era.
  • Rollmarks state "MADE IN JAPAN ASSEMBLED IN CROATIA"
  • Single non-selective trigger
  • Choked Modified and Full. Modified (right-hand) barrel usually fires first.

Of course, if it had screw-in chokes...

• Comes with the following Triley-Breague Unscrewable® flush chokes: Cylinder, Cylinder, Skeet, Skeet, Disapproved Cylinder, Modified Cylinder, Modified, Modified Penguin, Penguin, Penguin, Full Penguin, Light Musk-Ox, Full Musk-Ox, Full, Extra-Full, Too Full, Reverse Venturi, Buick

(Sorry. Back to regular programming.)

• 17.5" length of pull
  • Original hard black plastic Browning buttplate with a picture of John M. Browning straightening his tie; stock appears unaltered
  • Forend and buttstock free of cracks, chips, and other defects that may invite derision or incite disgust
  • Comes with original maker's case. Original case-maker not included.
  • Exact round-count is unknown to me, but figure 500000 to 700000 shells
  • Pictures available to your rotary phone.

So. Did I miss anything important?
Liked Replies
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
What do you mean by "a site that doesn't permit photo upload"?

Here's my old B-SS, in a photo that I just uploaded.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
4 members like this
by skeettx
skeettx
Photo hosting is FREE here

https://www.jpgbox.com/

Osage Missourian Canoe
17 feet, square stern, 9.5 Johnson Outboard
Drafts 1 inch and is my duck canoe smile

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
2 members like this
by keith
keith
Originally Posted by Fudd
I'll start. Were I to list my old Browning B-SS (which is for the moment damned unlikely) on a site that doesn't permit photo upload and I had no photo hosting service available, this is how I'd do it:

Fudd, as Stan and others have stated, posting photos here is fast, easy, and free. The additional time required to upload a pic to a free photo hosting site, and then copy-and-paste it into a post or advertisement here is minimal. Stan says it takes less than 60 seconds, and he's absolutely right. If I already have the photo stored in my PC, it takes about 20 seconds or less. Posting photos directly from my Android phone might take a full minute. The tens of thousands of photos posted here over the years should be proof that it isn't at all difficult.

Most of the guns I've bought online were at least as described, and sometimes better. I pay attention to details and ask questions. If I don't get good answers, I don't buy or bid. One Lefever stock was broken during shipping, the fault of FedEX, and the seller gave me the option of returning it or giving me a partial refund. I kept it and took the refund, so never had to make a return. I considered returning another Lefever once because it was said to have fluid steel tubes, but they were Damascus. Robert Elliot advised me to keep it because almost all were fluid steel. He said it was a rare variation of an already scarce gun. Your biggest impediment in selling a gun here is being Canadian. Most buyers would incur a large fee and long wait to import it. Another impediment would come if you had guys like the Nutty Professor dislike you. Then they would Troll and intrude on every For Sale thread you posted here, and repeatedly do all they could to disrupt your sale. They also would claim to be civil members who never break the rules they complain about others breaking. This mentality is also why Dave would be nuts to have photo hosting here. If the system ever crashed or got hacked, the crybabies who lost images would blame him for all eternity.

I liked your list of various chokes. But you forgot one that is even tighter than Too Full, Reverse Venturi, or Buick. Gladys Kravitz choke is so tight, you couldn't get a greased sewing needle through it with ten times proof pressure.
2 members like this
by canvasback
canvasback
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
IMO, the important thing is to NOT use any of those hosting sites to STORE your images. From what I have gathered that's what so many were doing with photobucket, and they lost them. This infuriated some, but I never trusted them to store mine anyway, especially for free, so I lost nothing. Good riddance, to them (photobucket) I say. Store your images somewhere secure and just use jpgbox as a guest. I use our desktop Apple/Mac to store mine. I suppose they go to "the cloud", whatever that is. It's worked perfectly for me, for a great many years, so far.

But, maybe I've just been lucky.

I think this is so true. I use a portable hard drive that is almost permanently attached to my desk top IMac. Many of them are also on my Mac/iPhone/iPad and in the cloud as Stan suggests. But if it’s a photo I want to keep……it’s on the hard drive.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.