April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Jimmy W, earlyriser, 1 invisible), 423 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,231
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
bushveld, Drew Hause, DropLockBob, Lloyd3, mc, SKB, Ted Schefelbein, Tim Cartmell
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Vol423
Vol423
I have a Westley Richards Gold Name with nitro proofed Damascus barrels. The bore dimensions are marked 12 over1 and the bores both measure .739. Am I correct that 12 over 1 is .729 + .010 for a total of .739? The bore are bright and shiny. Is there any reason I should not use RST, Gamebore and B&P 2.5 inch ammo in the gun? How about Winchester 2-3/4" extra light?
Liked Replies
by FlyChamps
FlyChamps
Originally Posted by ed good
nothing lasts forever...

the more you shoot an old gun the sooner the old wood will crack and the metal parts will fail...

BS!

I have a Joseph Lang non-rebounding hammer gun completed March 6, 1866 and rebarreled in Damascus by James Woodward around 1872.

I've shot over 6,000 of my reloads and RST cartridges in it since I've owned this gun with no damage to wood or metal and have made no repairs. And I will continue to shoot it in the future and fully expect to leave it in shooting condition to my grandson or granddaughter, whoever wants it the most.

Well made old guns will stand up to multiple human lifetimes of shooting, provided the gun is not abused by an idiot.
5 members like this
by bushveld
bushveld
Drew;

I went back and edited my wording above to say that the original OVERBORE work from 13/1 was likely done in the mid-1920s according to the unreadable Birmingham viewers mark----Which is what I meant to write. Your complete analysis of the life of the barrels by viewing the proof marks is correct.
1 member likes this
by Vol423
Vol423
I much appreciate all the technical input. The other comments...not so much.
1 member likes this
by bushveld
bushveld
Originally Posted by Vol423
Here is the photo of the proofs. Unfortunately upside down but I didn't want to wait 4000 seconds to repost

https://imgur.com/gallery/WsJWhDu

In viewing the proof marks on the barrel flat photo you supplied, I see the Birmingham viewers mark with the letter "E" on the left of the crossed sceptres indicating that this gun was re-proofed in the year 1954. There are other marks associated with this re-proof such as 2 1/2" and the 12 inside the angle pointed square. The 2 1/2 inch and the 1 1/8 oz marks leads me to believe the gun was reproofed early in 1954.
1 member likes this
by Lloyd3
Lloyd3
If you wish to be ruled by fear, so be it. Life will always have risks. My personal rule-of-thumb is 20-thousands and up is "safe" for modern shells provided the tubes are in good shape (no deep pits, no bad dents). However, IMHO the real risk of "modern" ammunition in old guns is the shock back through the head of the stock. 100-plus year old wood is unpredictable at best. If screws are turning and gaps are appearing then re-evaluate your use.
1 member likes this
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
Go hunting. You’re good.

Best,
Ted
1 member likes this
by Vol423
Vol423
Yes, chambers are still 2-1/2". I will only use RST and B&P 2-1/2" factory ammo until I find a reliable low pressure handload.
1 member likes this
by Tim Cartmell
Tim Cartmell
Thanks Drew. Maybe it was a hit and miss thing with some of the marking. I know I had emailed the Birmingham Proof Master a few years back asking him about when the date mark stamping started re: post 1921, he said "in theory" the date marks were used starting in 1921. To me that meant maybe they were hit and miss until the new 1925-1954 Rules.

This is one of my other threads showing barrel flats 1904-1925 without the Max, Shot, Ounces, etc. Barrel Flat Markings

My understanding from the above UK Proof website link is that for Nitro Proof marking between 1896-1904, Max, Shot and Grains or combinations thereof were used. Between 1904-1925 only the load designation mark was used, ie: 1 1/8 or 1 1/4; Max, Shot or Grains were not used. Between 1925-1954 the load designation and ounce mark were used.

________
TC
1 member likes this
by Drew Hause
Drew Hause
This is from Dig's chart that you linked

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

The Supplementary Nitro Proof Revision of 1904 is here from The Gun and Its Development, 1907
http://books.google.com/books?id=3HMCAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA280
p. 291 mentions the 1896 Rules "Maximum" mark, and p. 292 shows the MAXm. powder grains and shot mark. I don't know when that was discontinued and only the "oz. Shot mark" was stamped.

https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/magazine/rules-of-proof-5-london-

This is an 1896 Lancaster marked “E.C.” (No. 1) 42 grains = 3 Dram with MAXm. SHOT 1 1/8 oz.

A Tolley 1896-1904 1 1/4 oz MAXm but not the grains

1904-1925 London Proof - no oz. SHOT
https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/magazine/rules-of-proof-6-london-
1904-1925 Birmingham reproof - no oz. SHOT
https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/magazine/rules-of-proof-8-re-proof-
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.