April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (FlyChamps, Fudd), 417 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,230
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
BrentD, Prof, bushveld, Dan S. W., earlyriser, Hammergun, Imperdix, Karl Graebner, mc
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Vol423
Vol423
I just acquired this John Dickson round action 12 ga. It has a set of American made barrels. They are a little on the heavy side for me, making the gun weigh 6 lb 12 oz. Of course it has a 1" recoil pad for 15-1/4" pull that weighs probably 8 oz. A thinner, lighter pad will help, but I'm thinking of a new set of barrels. Is there anyone in the US who could make a set? I've asked what a set costs from Dickson. I'd like to get the gun down to 6 pounds. I believe this gun is an antique, based on the patent use number of 228. Will that make it easier to ship back and forth to Scotland?

Link to photos: https://imgur.com/gallery/LQo9oHy
Liked Replies
by DoubleTake
DoubleTake
Why not have the barrels re-struck? Take some meat off the set you have.
2 members like this
by Owenjj3
Owenjj3
The gun is nice, but I would agree with others here and advise to start over. You could find a really nice original example for the cost of the new barrels + sale price of this one. Someone else has already done what you plan to do and rebarrelled a thin barrelled RA. Profit from their mistake and find that gun. Patience is key.
2 members like this
by bushveld
bushveld
Originally Posted by Buzz
It would be nice to find a set of barrels from a 2-barrel set that someone would be ok with parting with. However, I’ve heard they just won’t fit any old Dickson and fitting them can be a big task, at least that’s what Dan Morgan told me. He also told me good Dickson RB guns with lots of case color are only worth about $15,000 in todays market….that statement shocked me. If that’s true, I wouldn’t go overboard with a new set of barrels unless you want to keep her forever cuz it sounds like you’d never be able to recoup your money???

It is true.

I do not know why anyone would buy a clunker today and expect to turn in to a silk purse by having new barrels built. Just look at this Dickson round action jewel at the current Holt's sale (27Nov2023) that has replacement chopper lump barrels with bores of .727"/ .728" and wall thickness of .032"/.031. Plus look at the stock--it could have a 3/4" leather covered recoil pad on it and make it more than 15 inches LOP. Dan Morgan is straight on about the price range of complete round bodies--even though guns by Scot makers are in high vogue today. Look at the estimated auction hammer price of this gun. Even if the gun brought £2,000.00 more and you added buyers premium and $1,500.00 to get it here the price for a complete gun with like new chopper lump barrels would only be $13,600.00 (£8,000.00 x 1.25 premium x 1.21 exchange rate + $1.500.00 = $13,600.00 ) One of my grouse shooting friends has purchased 4 spectacular guns( Hollands, A.A. Brown and others) from the UK in the last 2 years with Dan Morgan bringing them in for him and the cost was less than $1.500.00 per gun. Novices think it cost an arm and leg to import guns but they are wrong.

I decided today to ask my colleague friend gunmaker in the UK what a new set of chopper lump barrels cost to be made (he has 40 years in the trade as a gunmaker starting at Holland & Holland and later working for others such as Purdey, and Westley Richards, even building for Peter Nelson). What I learned is that Pudey's currently charge £29,000.00 for a set of barrels. Therefore he believes that a set of barrels from a UK barrel maker will cost $20,000.00 made and fitted. However there are only 2-3 barrel makers and you can count on the wait being years.

https://www.holtsauctioneers.com/as...++1400+&refno=++206599&saletype=
2 members like this
by Dan S. W.
Dan S. W.
The only piece of advice my gunsmith ever gives on prospective purchases is, "buy the barrels, everything else can be fixed."
1 member likes this
by LeFusil
LeFusil
Originally Posted by Nitrah
I'd like to see a good example with lots of case color for $15,000 and good barrels.

I bet they’d let it go for 13k
https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...ncluded-make-offer-.cfm?gun_id=102482866
1 member likes this
by LeFusil
LeFusil
Originally Posted by SKB
Yes re-done. I had it inspected by a former H&H barrel man before it went to auction, he suggested that I run not walk away from that one. On the bright side, you buy it you keep it, no inspections with CMSC.

What did your H&H barrel man find wrong with it, Steve?
I notice the CSMC ad doesn’t give very specific measurements, etc ( obviously if I was seriously interested in buying the gun I’d have all of the details confirmed before going into negotiations)

Out of curiosity I’d just like to know what’s hidden beneath the pretty finishes.
1 member likes this
by SKB
SKB
The barrels had numerous issues, when he told me to run I stopped asking questions.
1 member likes this
by Vol423
Vol423
Back to my Dickson. It was made in 1888 and weighed 6 lb 6 oz. They generously offered to make a new set of barrels for a mere 17,000 pounds. I think I'll pass.
1 member likes this
by Mike Rowe
Mike Rowe
I hope your gunsmith knows something about Dicksons - sadly that one is a bodgered up mess. There's all kinds of stuff in/on the action bar that shouldn't be there.
I have no idea what the screw stuck in the back left side of the action does.
I have fixed some messed up Dicksons in my time, but this one will take some saving.
The advice Steve was given to run from it was sound.
1 member likes this
by Mike Rowe
Mike Rowe
The sidelever guns I've worked on have the lever mounted in the trigger plate, why a conversion like this would be attempted is beyond me. If done at Dicksons, one would think it would have been easier to just make another gun. I don't know what the side locking bolt is, you can see the underbolt in the first picture.
The junk in and around the knuckle is the biggest problem I see. I'm pretty sure that got done by someone else, when they stuck the barrels on. They were probably adapted from another gun, hence the dog which needed to be fitted to work the extractors, rather than the toggle that Dickson non-ejectors use. It may have been a non-ejector first, then converted to the early pattern ejectors, then those have been removed and plugged. It's a mess.

It's all really hard to tell from pictures - having it your hands (or better still, taking it to pieces) would tell the story.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.