April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (fab500), 411 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,229
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Bret Adams, Drew Hause, Parabola, Tim Cartmell
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Drew Hause
Drew Hause
It took some looking, and this appears to be the best (unverified) information from a Forum post
https://www.mdshooters.com/threads/dating-winchester-western-non-corrosive-primer-boxes.178168/

Reminton acquired the technology for non-corrosive lead styphanate primers from RWS (Rheinisch Westfälische Sprengstoff-Actien-Gesellschaft) in 1926 and introduced the Klean-Bore shells sometime thereafter

This is a 1936 ad specifically mentioning the non-corrosive priming

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

I found mention of a Winchester 'NF' non-fulminate primer possibly developed c. 23' or 24' but couldn't confirm, or if these were for shotshells.

The Staynless non-mercuric non-corrosive primers were introduced for shotshells c. 28' - 29'

1939 ad mentioning the non-corrosive primers

I've owned 4 pre-1913 Smiths; a 06' No. 00 12g and No. 0E 16g Smith, a 07' No. 2E 16g, and a 08' No. 00E 20g; and c. 1920s Ithaca, Fox and Parker doubles. All were certainly using guns, but not abused and by the bore size and wall thicknesses appeared to have non-modified barrels. They all had "frosting" and superficial pitting, and one gun had to my eye and bore scope significant ragged pits.

Syracuse Arms Co. barrel cleaned but no attempt to polish; breech left and you can see the transition line from the forcing cone

Looking toward the breech of another gun with typical superficial pitting

Worse forcing cone pitting, looking toward the muzzle

Post-1913 Smith chamber pitting

SO it continues to be MHO that any pre-mid-1920s shotgun that had much use is very unlikely to have a 'mirror bore', but I could be wrong. And pics thereof would be great.
Safe queens, and those owned by someone with OCD maybe not wink
Liked Replies
by Researcher
Researcher
Center fire and rimfire rifle & pistol ammunition got non-corrosive priming several years ahead of shotgun ammunition.

Remington introduced their KLEANBORE priming to their .410-bore shotgun shells by 1930. From the January 1, 1930 jobbers price list --

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

and a 1930 catalog --

2 members like this
by Drew Hause
Drew Hause
A collection of barrel segments

This is the point. Pretty "mirror" bore, honed to .739" with wall thickness .018"

2 members like this
by Drew Hause
Drew Hause
Thanks Dave.

A neat 1928 Western ad with no mention of the non-corrosive primers

1931 Kleanbore ad

1 member likes this
by Researcher
Researcher
Just like Remington, Western Cartridge Co. introduced non-corrosive priming to their .410-bore cartridges in 1930 and the larger sizes in 1931. The April 1, 1930, Western Ammunition for Rifle, Revolver and Shotgun lists the .410-bore with non-corrosive priming and the March 1, 1931, Western Ammunition for Rifle, Revolver and Shotgun --

There were only a couple of years for non-corrosive primers in the two-piece boxes. A box of Super-X from 1931 or 2 --

By 1933, both Western and Remington went to the one-piece boxes.
1 member likes this
by Drew Hause
Drew Hause
Tim: that's what I did with my 1906 L.C. Smith 16g No. 0E with “Good Two Rod” Damascus, which measured .016”, 14” from the breech.
BUT prior to being gifted to me and measured, it had survived 250 2 1/2” 7/8 oz. Polywad Spred-R shells, 100 2 1/2” 7/8 oz. at 1145 fps. (about 8000 psi) loads, and 2 cases (500 shells) of 2 1/2” RST 3/4 oz. at 1100 fps (4,600 psi per RST).

The spring steel and leather handguard fit right over the thin spot. I put cases of 3/4 oz. handloads through the gun.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.