April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
10 members (bushveld, graybeardtmm3, arrieta2, bbman3, 3 invisible), 430 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,221
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
aw1776, Buzz, craigd, dogon, Ghostrider, Jimmy W, randy
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#635722 09/20/2023 8:12 PM
by randy
randy
For the first time, I am hiring a guide for upland hunting on the western prairies. I have always hunted the walk in and BLM management areas in the past. What is the etiquette and proper amount to tip your guide? The guide will have dogs and we will use our own, also. Thank you
Liked Replies
#635742 Sep 21st a 06:17 PM
by improved modified
improved modified
When I was in Africa the PH wanted 100.00/day, when I was in Scotland the Stalker wanted 20 pounds an outing for a pint of stout,in America the guide wants the keys to your truck.
Percentages are not really a good guide on big money. I had it explained it to me this way: A sheep hunt costs $20K, 20% of $20K is $4k. Are you going to give your guide a $4000.00 tip? Uh No.
The consensus in that situation is that 1000.00 is a good tip, maybe 1200.00 if he goes above and beyond. I would say that $100.00/day is a fair tip on a bird hunt. Tip more if he goes the extra mile, IMHO
2 members like this
#635740 Sep 21st a 02:27 PM
by Drew Hause
Drew Hause
It is a difficult issue.
I've done a few large group block and drive paid hunts on wild birds in South Dakota, with the owner/operator and individual guides. The group decides and usually gives the tip in cash to the owner, in vision of the guides, for the owner to distribute. It's more of a business relationship, and the tip is usually on that basis.

That's different than a guide and his dogs with you and a friend and your dogs.
I tip/reward based on attitude and effort. Not the guides fault if it's a bad day or the weather doesn't cooperate.

My best experience was with a family that ran a pheasant operation on their property near Presho, and the owner and his wife were the guides. After the hunt they provided snacks and drinks in their home.

One point; communication is critical in avoiding disappointment. Let the guide know what kind of hunt you want (and the experience and physical shape of you and your friends) and ask appropriate questions to understand exactly what the guide is offering.
It's important to know ahead if your group will be part of other groups, who may have new, unsafe, or hung-over frown shooters.
2 members like this
#635786 Sep 23rd a 03:23 PM
by ClapperZapper
ClapperZapper
It’s pretty common to coordinate the final tip in a group team situation. Each person thinks the guide, and gives them the same amount in a sort of secret handshake kind of way.
I should point out that many outfitters packed the tip into the day rate, so it can become contentious if at the end of the hunt or fishing trip, people are standing there with their hand out or vice versa.
2 members like this
#635725 Sep 20th a 09:51 PM
by tut
tut
We always tipped 10 to 20 percent. 10 if it sucked but it wasn't his fault. 20 percent if the sky was full of birds and we all said OMG, we are in utopia. PS. We never tipped until the end of the day.
1 member likes this
#635766 Sep 22nd a 10:51 PM
by Dan S. W.
Dan S. W.
I am headed up to NY in a month for $600 per day solo grouse hunting over their dogs. No lodge. I was planning on tipping around a $100 per day, assuming it is not a complete disaster.
1 member likes this
#635738 Sep 21st a 02:05 PM
by dogon
dogon
One of the hardest--most uncomfortable questions there is.

If you're an individual it's pretty straight forward--Tip what you feel is appropriate for the level of service received. When you're with a group you'll be up against as many opinions as there are personalities in the group & it can get messy.

Then if the guide is also the owner of the operation, why would you need to tip him, he already has his profit & wages baked in the price charged.

The percentage equation doesn't fit at times. When & what do you apply the percentage to? Do you figure it on the overall package price of the lodge package, or do you apply it to just a daily guide fee? How do you know what the actual daily guide fee is in a package price deal?

Tipping is a messy deal. If you're just tipping the guide only. I'd say fifty to a hundred bucks per day depending on the level of service, the success of the hunt and then follow what your gut tells you & your pocketbook is comfortable with. Another rule I use is to always tip individual guides in cash.
1 member likes this
#635833 Sep 25th a 05:29 PM
by randy
randy
Thank you, gentlemen, for the information
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.