April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Jimmy W, FelixD, Fudd, Argo44, 1 invisible), 462 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,212
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
coosa, Hammergun, HistoricBore, Kip, LGF, mc, old colonel, Stanton Hillis, Ted Schefelbein
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#633542 07/30/2023 5:19 PM
by Nitrah
Nitrah
Took my wife and sons shooting and an skb sxs would only fire 1 barrel. Then the weatherby orion started doing the same thing. This is a copy of the old skb O/U action. I took the sxs apart and can see no obvious problem. It looks like a mechanical rather than inertia system and doesn't appear dirty or gunked up. What am I missing? My son said this is the world sending me a message that single triggers are bad. Funny I have been looking for a Win 21.
Liked Replies
#633555 Jul 30th a 08:05 PM
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
I have found an ultrasonic cleaner to be the single trigger double gun owner's best friend.

I have found double triggers to be a much, much better friend.

Best,
Ted
7 members like this
#633562 Jul 31st a 02:24 AM
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
Stan,
Small world, so to speak. The single trigger gun that got the squishy pad was a Beretta Silver Snipe. The Pachmeyer pad hardened up nicely, after 20 years or so, and the gun is back to working as it should.

I did strip and clean it, and refinish the stock with the tung oil varnish Brownell’s used to sell. It was due. But, the pad going hard ended the problem.

Double triggers here, as well, but, the damn cold drives me into gloves late in the bird season, and come the winter months, the Beretta gets out a bit. I still hit my Dad’s favorite WMA for pheasants if there is some ice on the slews, and using his old Beretta brings back good memories.

Best,
Ted
2 members like this
#633559 Jul 31st a 02:04 AM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
I have found an ultrasonic cleaner to be the single trigger double gun owner's best friend.

I have found double triggers to be a much, much better friend.

Best,
Ted

While that is true, Ted, and I agree, I have had the opportunity to help out friends who have bought used O/Us that were having trouble with the single triggers. The ultrasonic cleaner usually straightens out their problems. I would choose double triggers most of the time for myself, but I cannot choose that for my friends who aren't steeped in double triggers to the extent that I am.

Last example was a Beretta Silver Snipe that a friend bought for $100. Two cycles in the ultrasonic cleaner and that gun works like new, now. Out of all my single trigger guns the only one that has ever given me any trigger issues was my old, much used MX8. It was just worn out and a new trigger "group" straightened it out completely. Two LC Smiths with HOTs, a FAIR Verona, a Beretta 687 SPII Sporting, a Yildiz, and a SKB 200E .........none of which have ever hiccuped once. I have never needed to use my ultrasonic for my own single trigger guns, only those of my friends.
1 member likes this
#633556 Jul 30th a 09:51 PM
by ed good
ed good
double guns should have two triggers. one for each barrel. no selector needed...

even the perverted ones with the barrels soldered on top of each other...
1 member likes this
#633558 Jul 31st a 01:06 AM
by Jimmy W
Jimmy W
Rather than banging a gun on a desk or on the floor- I just hit the end of the gun with the heel on my hand. That should reset the second Barrel. Hitting the gun on a floor or a desk you could crack the stock so I would be careful about doing that. So good luck.
1 member likes this
#633569 Jul 31st a 11:05 AM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
I remembered about your dad's Silver Snipe the moment I was shown the $100 gun my friend had bought.

Rust has taken over the outside of the barrels and I spent a few minutes removing it for him, then applying some OxphoBlue with swabs to freshen it up a bit. A trip to the ultrasonic put the action back in fine fettle and he now is not ashamed to take it out in public. I'd never had any dealings with the old Silver Snipe guns, so when I saw his it reminded me of you immediately.
1 member likes this
#633570 Jul 31st a 12:20 PM
by AGS
AGS
Originally Posted by Nitrah
the sxs is definitely inertia and wasn't getting enough resistance to reset. Working with snap caps if I bang it on desk. The O/u is working fine with snap caps and must be mechanical it fires both perfectly.

While it may be mechanical, I would think this more than likely points to ammo being too light. You mention "gun" here, but your original post says two guns did the same thing. If they both work with snap caps, I think the problem is the ammo. A good cleaning never hurt a gun, but if the ammo is too light, it may never work in the gun. Same problem you see with semi-autos and low pressure rounds. One of the big reason you will never see mass market ammo with really low pressure loads.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.