May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (KY Jon, KDGJ, Researcher, FelixD, 2 invisible), 572 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,499
Posts545,457
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
ClapperZapper, Parabola, Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#633199 07/21/2023 1:20 PM
by PALUNC
PALUNC
Liked Replies
#633210 Jul 22nd a 04:24 AM
by KY Jon
KY Jon
A good .410 shooter becomes a good judge of distance, becomes excellent at seeing the line, at tracking the bird and consistent in their shooting technique. Fail in anyone of these things and you will be inconsistent at best and more likely a bad .410 shooter. You will be good one shot and bad the next. You can not let the little .410 get into your head. Shoot it aggressively and confidently. I always say that the center of my .410 pattern is about the size of a large dinner plate and will kill any bird I hit with it. I just need to put the plate in the right spot.
2 members like this
#633208 Jul 22nd a 01:40 AM
by Jimmy W
Jimmy W
Just yesterday I watched the movie Secretariat. John Malkovich played Lucian Lauren. In the beginning of the movie he is so pathetic at golf, he took his golf clubs and chucked them high into the air and into the garbage can and screamed- FORE.!! That's what comes to mind when I think about me shooting a .410 shotgun. That's what I'd be doing with it. Ha-ha!! LOL.
1 member likes this
#633213 Jul 22nd a 11:13 AM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
That is the key to doing well with the .410, believing in it's ability. When that dinner plate sized core is put in the right spot it is every bit as deadly as the core of a pattern from a larger gauge. Density delivered on target, with enough energy per pellet, is what kills birds and breaks targets. Put enough pellets int he target and it's yours, regardless the gauge. As I have said so many times before, it doesn't matter what bore size delivers the goods. If the density and pellet energy is there it's a done deal. Keeping the range to 30 yds. (maybe a hair more in some instances) and less ensures you can do that.
1 member likes this
#633207 Jul 21st a 09:42 PM
by ClapperZapper
ClapperZapper
As soon as he said that, I quit caring. Browning .410’s always weighed more than their 20’s.
Stuffing 3/4 oz of shot in a 3” .410 doesn’t interest me either.

There’s an Italian channel where he shoots xtra xtra full .410 on decoying pigeons.
It’s interesting because of the precision with which he delivers the small payload.
He’s a phenomenal shot.
I enjoy watching that.

I hope PALUNC had a great outing with his new gun.
1 member likes this
#633215 Jul 22nd a 11:56 AM
by Parabola
Parabola
Clapper,

I take it that you are referring to Carlo Rizzini who preaches delivery of 16 to 18 grams with full and full chokes.

Obviously it works for him, but for us lesser mortals I suspect that if we are keeping ranges down to 30 yards or less we will be better off with more open chokes which can still deliver sufficient but more even pattern density with small shot at the range.

W.D.M. Bell impressed onlookers with the height at which he was consistently bringing down Cormorants flighting off the top of a high African waterfall.

When they asked about his gun, he explained that he was just burning off unreliable solids in his 6.5mm Mannlicher Schoenauer
1 member likes this
#633216 Jul 22nd a 12:17 PM
by ClapperZapper
ClapperZapper
I have found that regular practice with the .410 improves your shooting of the larger gauges.
You can work on something with no recoil, and if reloading, 30% lower cartridge cost.

It’s a bit of a surprise when you break a target unexpectedly with a larger payload that you knew was a miss with the .410
That’s a good measure of how shooting the .410 aids in accuracy.
1 member likes this
#633248 Jul 23rd a 12:59 PM
by ClapperZapper
ClapperZapper
Well, that’s a good start.
I’m sure you quickly figured out that there are a lot of moving parts when first learning to shoot a light .410 well.

There’s a sense of pride and accomplishment that also shows up as your skill rises.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.