April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (FlyChamps, Fudd), 417 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,230
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
1916XE, BrentD, Prof, earlyriser, Hoot4570, mc, old colonel, Parabola
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#633159 07/20/2023 6:08 PM
by rocky mtn bill
rocky mtn bill
There are lots of geezers here who persist in our hobbies. As one of them, there are still things I'd like to try. I'll mention a couple and hope others will chime in with their own lists. Maybe members here have something they no longer need that others could use I'm hoping to find a kipplauf in a good hunting caliber and a Soper rifle. I missed the latter at Holt's, alas. There must be others out there.
Liked Replies
#633300 Jul 24th a 02:51 PM
by Gary D.
Gary D.
I've attained most guns that were on my bucket list. Now it's time to start weeding out the stuff I acquired earlier in life which now sits and gathers dust, and shooting the heck out of the bucket-listers!
3 members like this
#633748 Aug 4th a 04:17 PM
by SKB
SKB
A couple of new rifles are on the way. I did not know the Grant was on my bucket list until I viewed it.

Snap action sidelock Grant in 500-450 #1 Express

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

.303 British Best quality Gibbs Sporter

3 members like this
#633229 Jul 22nd a 09:18 PM
by mc
mc
50 more years hunting with my son and grandson,anything else seems pedestrian
2 members like this
#633237 Jul 23rd a 03:15 AM
by craigd
craigd
Just looked at a couple of pictures. About four or five years ago, our son got about a ninety yard, lucky, shot on a gopher with a switch barrel 22 single shot that's a good hundred and forty years old now. As current keeper of that particular rifle, it was the first "game" that fell to that barrel, the other barrel has taken two or three averageish big game critters.

Fast forward to last summer, and I have a picture of the grand sons holding up slayed soup cans. Necessarily "hunted" with pistols of twelve rounds or greater magazines. The country is going tochit, but our daughter and son in law are bringing up the grandsons to be outstanding citizens of the US of A, and they have monster ear to ear grins in the picture. They certainly are not criminals, and when push comes to shove, I'll hand over all the fun shooter toys they handle, face to face, before this great nation is transformed forever. Never fear, some of them will be boring single shots, and maybe some doubles, just for shooting in the air, but they've been taught better than to do something so dangerous and irresponsible.

Best of luck on your searches, neither has ever "spoken" to me, but I'd slow down and take a good long gander at either. I never cared for how the Soper action works, but I like a quality break action singleshot, particularly if you can track one down with original, or appropriate, scope rings. Don't give up the search.
2 members like this
#633353 Jul 25th a 07:21 PM
by old colonel
old colonel
I have just about everything on my list and then some. Finding the time to load and use what I have is getting harder all the time.

Likewise I need to weed out and reduce stock.
1 member likes this
#633749 Aug 4th a 05:05 PM
by Vall
Vall
My bucket list is small, as is my areas of interest now. I used to want every type of 1800's American single shot cartridge rifle I could afford, and some I couldn't afford too! As time passed, I've concentrated on Marlin Ballard rifles, and Remington Rolling Block and Hepburn rifles exclusively. Sold off a bunch of others, but still have a few guns outside my interest that I've just had too long to want to let them go.
There's only maybe 4-6 rifles within my collecting/shooting interest now that I'd like to buy, but they're expensive and rare enough to likely never obtain without something else going away to fund them. I did recently pickup one bucket list rifle at the CGCA show in May when I bought my engraved #6 Ballard Scheutzen with a George C. Schoyen barrel. I've got several #6's, but none were the factory engraved versions, so that niche is filled now.
1 member likes this
#633773 Aug 5th a 12:50 PM
by BrentD, Prof
BrentD, Prof
Originally Posted by SKB
A couple of new rifles are on the way. I did not know the Grant was on my bucket list until I viewed it.

Snap action sidelock Grant in 500-450 #1 Express

.303 British Best quality Gibbs Sporter

Steve, the Grant looks like it came with some hollow point bullets. Is there a mold in there too? Pretty cool rifle.
1 member likes this
#633780 Aug 5th a 03:13 PM
by Parabola
Parabola
Brent,

Top photo , left hand side of case, you can see the side of the mould - looks like a bronze mallet.

Opposite end of case you can see the core plug to form the hollow points on casting.

Very nice rifles SKB.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.