April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (CJF, Vol423, 1 invisible), 451 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,479
Posts545,212
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Borderbill, DoubleTake, gil russell, Gr8day, graybeardtmm3, Imperdix, John Roberts, liverwort, Marc Ret, mc, Parabola, SKB, Stanton Hillis, Ted Schefelbein, Tim Cartmell
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#631850 06/22/2023 1:16 AM
by John Roberts
John Roberts
Why have and does the gun community insist on saying "Aya" for AyA, which is the abbreviation for Aguirre and Aranzabal? Some even go so far as to say "A Y A". Huh?
JR
Liked Replies
#631852 Jun 22nd a 01:45 AM
by ellenbr
ellenbr
It actually would be >>Ah e Ah<<

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
4 members like this
#631864 Jun 22nd a 01:07 PM
by KY Jon
KY Jon
English abbreviations, of Spanish names and words does not translate well. AyA, A and A, or whatever you want to call them have sold more double guns than anybody else I think. I have read over 600,000 so far according to Holts. Everything from lowest field grade, non ejector to decent knockoffs of H&H side plates, with everything in between. Plus a decent knock off O/U.

Their cheap box locks was the final blow to the English gun trade for domestic box lock production. Their made to order side plates were cheaper than the used H&H market. They even made a ton of 25” guns. So no major part of the trade was not covered. Perhaps the only market they did not exploit was the very high end and that market is name driven, extremely high quality and very small.

But in the US all we saw for years were the lowest grades so our opinion of them has suffered. I have a number of model 4 in several gauges. They all give good service, are a joy to shoot and carry and did not break the bank. AyA owners mostly don’t care how you spell their name. They work, don’t need much maintenance and are still undervalued.
2 members like this
#631870 Jun 22nd a 02:05 PM
by AGS
AGS
Originally Posted by Gr8day
Sometimes saying things correctly makes you look pretentious. I have one nice watch, a Baum & Mercier which is pronouned BOOM eh MerSEE. I have never heard anyone actually say it that way.

Hopefully they don't call them "BM's".
2 members like this
#631903 Jun 22nd a 11:42 PM
by canvasback
canvasback
AyA doesn't bother me but I lose my $hit when people insist on calling their stock and forend (the wood parts) "furniture".
2 members like this
#631918 Jun 23rd a 10:43 AM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by Lloyd3
Ok then, so...how does Ugartechea sound in proper Spanish?

As I recall, it's Oo-gar-te-shay'-uh.
2 members like this
#631954 Jun 24th a 02:09 AM
by Tim Cartmell
Tim Cartmell
From the horse's mouth, the current owner of AyA pronounces the company name as A Y A. AyA Fine Guns . Very nice shotguns. I just had a quick look at their website and their prices have sky rocketed again. Appears a new AYA XXV/BL is now selling for 10,125 Euros. New AYA Boxlock Round Action selling for 11,129 Euros. New AYA No. 2 selling for 10,246 Euros.
#631890 Jun 22nd a 05:36 PM
by keith
keith
Originally Posted by John Roberts
Why have and does the gun community insist on saying "Aya" for AyA, which is the abbreviation for Aguirre and Aranzabal? Some even go so far as to say "A Y A". Huh?
JR

This is a thought provoking topic John. Unfortunately, the problem goes far beyond the gun community and the way some of them pronounce A y A.

Originally Posted by Jimmy W
People don't know what the AYA means. Maybe the guns that are sold here in the USA should be marked A&A?

A y A is a Spanish gunmaker that has been selling guns for decades, and I seriously don't think they are about to Americanize their name or corporate abbreviation just to benefit the functionally illiterate people here in the U.S.A. One headline in the news today is that Math and Reading scores among 13 year olds are at their lowest point in decades. This in spite of the fact that we spend more per pupil on Public Education than any nation on Earth. And the Liberal Left thinks we simply are not spending enough! Look right here... we have a Professor of Ecology who is mentally challenged by posting a picture on this forum, and whines about how difficult it is. We have a retired English Teacher who has repeatedly demonstrated that he can't spell or use punctuation at a junior high school level. No wonder Johnny can't read.

So really John, we have far bigger fish to fry. We have a large segment of our populace that continues to pronounce the word "ask" as "ax". Or is it "axe"? Don't axe me. If you want to keep a message secret from a young person, just write it in cursive. Schools don't teach cursive anymore because it is seen as too tedious. When is the last time you heard of Latin being taught in High School, even though much of the English language is derived from it? It is more important to teach children that there are more than two genders, and to have Transgender Groomers parading in in Drag and reading to young impressionable kids, in order to normalize perverted and sick behavior. We have a couple one day Holidays to honor our Military Veterans and our Soldiers killed defending our Nation, and a whole month to honor and celebrate abnormal sexual behavior.

Besides all that, English is quickly becoming a second language due to the massive influx of Illegal Aliens from Mexico and Central America. The 30 million or so illegals will probably have no problem pronouncing A y A correctly. Have you been to Lowe's or Home Depot or any Government Building lately? Half of the signs and notices are in Spanish. I keep wondering why actual U.S. legal citizens of foreign descent aren't filing Anti-Discrimination lawsuits, because their own Chinese, Vietnamese, French, Slavic, Nordic, and other languages are not given similar respect? We had a pro-2nd Amendment guy who was working very hard to fix this mess. Crooked Democrats just indicted him and hope to imprison him for the rest of his life, so they can continue to destroy the country. Here's another example of how they Build Back Better:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
2 members like this
#631866 Jun 22nd a 01:48 PM
by AGS
AGS
My guess is that there is some "incorrect" version in every country. Who in all honesty would use their proper name in a casual conversation? Just like BMW. Try dropping that correct name everytime you discuss one.
1 member likes this
#631854 Jun 22nd a 02:06 AM
by Jimmy W
Jimmy W
People don't know what the AYA means. Maybe the guns that are sold here in the USA should be marked A&A?
1 member likes this
#631871 Jun 22nd a 02:50 PM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by John Roberts
JR

The mispronunciation that bugs me, concerning guns, is when I hear Leupold pronounced Lee-uh-pold. It's Loo-pold.
1 member likes this
#631894 Jun 22nd a 08:30 PM
by KY Jon
KY Jon
Most Yale and Harvard recent alumni these days are more likely to be allergic to all guns. They may be willing to give us proper pronunciation lessons anyways.
1 member likes this
#631900 Jun 22nd a 10:30 PM
by Argo44
Argo44
Spanish is spelled absolutely phonetically. However, both names are Aguirre y Aranzabal are Basque. So their correct pronunciation would be would be:

Aguirre = "A-ger-ray" (hard "g")
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=APwXEdeLmnFI9YVzOBKEjRBtwMYznW2w3w:1687472954103&q=pronounce+basque+name+aguirre&tbm=vid&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiY7fzP9tf_AhX7FVkFHY1TB6YQ0pQJegQICRAB&biw=1070&bih=599&dpr=2.61#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:d1fcd67f,vid:ey0pKAgAOVw

Aguirre = in Spanish it would be "A-gear-ray"

Aranzabal = "A-ran-tha-bal". Basque name "z" is pronounced as "th" - see pro golfer Olazábal
1 member likes this
#631955 Jun 24th a 02:28 AM
by liverwort
liverwort
you gar tek eeah

Sarahs kwet ah

El see smith
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.