April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Ian Forrester, campero, graybeardtmm3, arrieta2, bbman3, 2 invisible), 427 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,221
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
BrentD, Prof, Buzz, DoubleTake, Jimmy W, John Roberts, Parabola, Stanton Hillis, Tim Cartmell
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Bob Cash
Bob Cash
Here's a pretty scarce Model 21, 20 gauge 2 barrel set. 1950
26 and 30 inch barrels. The 26 inchers are Mod/IC and the 30's are Full/Full. Both with 3 " chambers. Nice!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Factory records indicate it went back to New Haven in 1977 to be restocked
and made "Factory New".

So, regarding Winchester Model 21's, is Factory work looked upon any differently than
say any good gunsmith restoration or even CSMC?
Liked Replies
by Jimmy W
Jimmy W
Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof
Originally Posted by Jimmy W
Originally Posted by Buzz
I wouldn’t discount a factory rejuvenation one iota if quality factory work. I have such a gun knowing it had gone back to the factory before I made the purchase. A factory rejuvenation would be worth more than a non-factory rejuvenation imho.

Factory or non factory wouldn't make a damn bit of difference to me. It's the quality, not the source as far as I'm concerned. I'm always amused at folks that would pay more for a gun with factory engraving than one with better 3rd party work. Ditto for any other feature. I guess I buy the gun, not the originality.
It is the same way with cars. Some people like to take a 57 Chevy and restore it to be original. Some people like to build up the engine with 1000 HP. Put on air shocks and all kinds of stuff. Both can be great. A Rudolph Kornbrath engraved gun or an Angelo Bee gun looks fantastic. Then again, maybe someone wants another specific engraver to do their gun because they worked at the factory. ......The eye of the beholder.

The 57 Chevy isn't quite what I was getting at. I understand what you are saying, but imagine I took my 57 Apache out of the back shed and sent it off to be restored to showroom original condition. Is there something intrinsically better about it, if I sent it to Chevrolet instead of the best restoration shop in the country? Something that would increase its value? To me, all that would matter is the quality of the work, not who did it.

But one cannot go wrong with "buy what you like". I don't buy guns to make money.
I agree 100%. What I am saying is that if something makes someone happy, then that is all that should matter. Right? But now, I feel sorry for Bob Cash. He took the time to show us a sweet two barrel set Model 21 and we hijack his thread all to pieces. So, let me tell you, Bob. Your gun is awesome and I envy you all to pieces, buddy. Enjoy your gun, pardner!! And thanks for sharing..
2 members like this
by mel5141
mel5141
I purchased a similar 20 Bore 26 IC/Mod" & 30" F&F from a chap in Idaho via a Gunbroker ad in the summer of 2011 for slightly less than $ 8000. I shot it ( the 30" barrels almost exclusively) for 5 seasons or so, primarily on Doves.
I was never completely happy with the stock dimensions although I did have some 15 straight limits with it. I got it functional for me by gluing some leather on the comb to get a cheek weld I could make repeatable. I sent it back to Enid with George Caswell ( he was down opening the 2016 dove season here.) It moved in late 2016 and netted me the $9000 I told him I wanted. So it obviously sold for more. Condition was @ 85% not refinished , replacement Winchester duplicate pad at 14.25". I had a Cody letter on it , I believe it was an early 50's gun.
1 member likes this
by eightbore
eightbore
Nine grand, sold to a friend with a connection to the provenance. It's provenance was more important to him than to me.
1 member likes this
by Buzz
Buzz
I wouldn’t discount a factory rejuvenation one iota if quality factory work. I have such a gun knowing it had gone back to the factory before I made the purchase. A factory rejuvenation would be worth more than a non-factory rejuvenation imho.
1 member likes this
by Buzz
Buzz

Factory or non factory wouldn't make a damn bit of difference to me. It's the quality, not the source as far as I'm concerned. I'm always amused at folks that would pay more for a gun with factory engraving than one with better 3rd party work. Ditto for any other feature. I guess I buy the gun, not the originality.
Factory records have value….no matter what you think.
1 member likes this
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Pretty is as pretty does. I will never disparage the gun used by the man who outshoots me.
1 member likes this
by Bob Cash
Bob Cash
…Then again, I could take a Model 21 along and use it as a boat anchor, as Pete Hyatt always called them. smile
So here’s my 20 gauge Model 21 sporting her 30” barrels. At 6 lbs 11 oz. I can assure you, “boat anchor” she is not.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I have always suspected that most folks who insist on using that vernacular have little or no experience
with Model 21’s or boat anchors for that matter.
1 member likes this
by BrentD, Prof
BrentD, Prof

It is the same way with cars. Some people like to take a 57 Chevy and restore it to be original. Some people like to build up the engine with 1000 HP. Put on air shocks and all kinds of stuff. Both can be great. A Rudolph Kornbrath engraved gun or an Angelo Bee gun looks fantastic. Then again, maybe someone wants another specific engraver to do their gun because they worked at the factory. ......The eye of the beholder.

The 57 Chevy isn't quite what I was getting at. I understand what you are saying, but imagine I took my 57 Apache out of the back shed and sent it off to be restored to showroom original condition. Is there something intrinsically better about it, if I sent it to Chevrolet instead of the best restoration shop in the country? Something that would increase its value? To me, all that would matter is the quality of the work, not who did it.

But one cannot go wrong with "buy what you like". I don't buy guns to make money.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.