April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Marks_21, Fudd, 1 invisible), 439 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,472
Posts545,155
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
BrentD, Prof, ithaca1, LeFusil, old colonel
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by RARiddell
RARiddell
I absolutely have no experience with these, but was curious as to what mechanisms define these two options and the differences that make them. Could an ejector system that assists in the opening be considered assisted opener or potentially self opening, or is it a mechanism that is part of the receiver and functions as part of the internal mechanism in the action?
Liked Replies
by Parabola
Parabola
Isn’t the difference that a true self opener will open if held horizontally and sideways, I.e. not using the weight of the barrels to fall open.
1 member likes this
by JohnfromUK
JohnfromUK
The standard Boss is not a true self opener. However, Boss did make a (relatively few) self openers.

The Beesley (Purdey) type action has been used (in small numbers) by quite a few makers in the UK in addition to Purdey (who have made in excess of 15,000). These others include Henry Atkin (a few 100 "Spring Opener" model made), John Dickson, Churchill, P.V. Nelson, Peter Chapman, Watson Brothers, Charles Hellis, Hartmann and Weiss, Symes and Wright, Holloway and Naughton, Joseph Brazier and also possibly Charles Boswell, William Evans, Charles Rosson, Stephen Grant and Terry Smith.

Outside the UK, AyA (around 40 model Senior made), Ignacio Ugartechea (model 1040), Victor Sarasqueta, A Francotte, Brancaert (Belgium), Joseph Defourny (Belgium), Jules Thonon (Belgium), Tula (a gun presented by Nikita Kruschev to Harold MacMillan (?) was sold quite recently, Baikal and O Geyger (possibly made by Bernard Merkel’s workshops in Suhl as model X).

Note that I have only seen written details in many cases, though I have seen photographs of some. This list will be far from definitive as a number of makers have made only one or two examples. the Beesley action is reputed to be very difficult to 'get just right'.
1 member likes this
by KDGJ
KDGJ
There are a few WR drop lock assisted openers WR self opener.

Ken
1 member likes this
by Nitrah
Nitrah
The Beesley action Purdey is a true self opener, it springs open whether fired or unfired. The H&H system opens crisply when unfired but if both barrels have been fired it needs a little help to get started and then accelerates. I have seen a Boss, where the ejectors push against the breech face, but didn't get a chance to use it. Likewise the wrist breaker boxlock.
1 member likes this
by eeb
eeb
Originally Posted by LeFusil
Originally Posted by eightbore
The Purdey just takes a little effort to close. The "Wristbreaker" gives the impression that you are breaking something inside the action.

No it doesn’t. Idiotic statement.

It’s Eightbore’s opinion of the guns and Just because it doesn’t jive with your opinion doesn’t make it idiotic. Jeez
1 member likes this
by Perry M. Kissam
Perry M. Kissam
Okay, here I go with a question that to me is NOT dumb. Just ignorant of the true definition of a "self opener and assisted self opener." Will someone please explain to me with a degree of courtesy to one asking a question that is usually shown by most on this board just what exactly IS a self opener? Does it just open after both barrels have been fired or does it drop open with the actuation of the opening lever.......What?? Thanks in advance for an answer. I have to admit I have seen this phrase applied to guns for years and have always wondered what it meant but never asked until now. Forgive my ignorance on the subject, but I would now really like to understand the term. Thank.
1 member likes this
by JohnfromUK
JohnfromUK
Originally Posted by Perry M. Kissam
Okay, here I go with a question that to me is NOT dumb. Just ignorant of the true definition of a "self opener and assisted self opener." Will someone please explain to me with a degree of courtesy to one asking a question that is usually shown by most on this board just what exactly IS a self opener? Does it just open after both barrels have been fired or does it drop open with the actuation of the opening lever.......What?? Thanks in advance for an answer. I have to admit I have seen this phrase applied to guns for years and have always wondered what it meant but never asked until now. Forgive my ignorance on the subject, but I would now really like to understand the term. Thank.

A Beesley patent (Purdey is perhaps the best known 'true self opener'. Push the opening lever, and it opens smartly, ejecting any spent cartridges if applicable. No manual pressure is involved, and for a right handed shooter, this can be done whilst the right hand holds the gun at the wrist - meanwhile the left hand is getting the next one or two cartridges from the belt/pocket.

Video here.
1 member likes this
by Kutter
Kutter
Here's a look inside the RH lock of a Purdey Spring Assisted opener.

The Mainspring being a V spring normaly in most locks does not make use of the upper arm of the V.
That arm is secured or blocked into position inside the lock allowing the lower arm of the V to flex/compress and provide power to the tumbler/hammer.

The Spring Assist Opener takes advantage of that Upper Arm of the V spring.

By using a separate linkage, it compresses that Upper Arm upon closing the bbls.
The linkage generally includes an 'arm' on each side of the bbl flat that lays flat on the bbl flat. But that pivots upwards under that compressed spring tension from the lock on that side.
As it pivots upward it pushes on the bbl flat(s) and opens up the bbls for you when the thumb latch is opened.
These 'arms' are actually the Cocking Arms of the action as they re-cock the lower arm of the mainspring as well which powers the hammer in the lock.

You pay for all this novelty convenience when closing up the bbl's. A lot of spring compression going on.
So the effort is noticeable for sure but your gun handler shouldn't complain.

Here's those pics of the inside of the locks.

That upper curved 'shoe' is in contact with the cocking-rod that travels thru the frame forward and then contacts the 'arm' I noted above (one on each side of the action flats).
With the upper arm of the mainspring tension pushing on the rod, transfering tension to the 'Arm',,as soon as the thumb Latch is opened,,the bbls are Spring Assisted Opened for you.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.