April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (David Williamson, Argo44, Ted Schefelbein, 1 invisible), 409 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,796
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
BrentD, Prof, earlyriser, Hoot4570, Mark II, mc, Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#630973 06/02/2023 10:20 AM
by damascus
damascus
House sales have that magnetic draw to yours truly and the one that the notice in the local paper made it unmissable for me so off I went expectantly, now on this side of the pond we have a saying "there is no fool like an old fool" to this I will put my hand up to on this occasion. Browsing the the items for sale I saw a bubble wrapped shape that rang a bell and my interest was raised and pulling the bubble wrap of the corner my initial thought was right a Pig skin Gun case in new condition of exactly the same version in the post on how to re fit a traditional gun case, that time I fitted a gun having two sets of barrels. Using the same excuse as the last case the price was right in fact very right so low that I could not resist purchasing it. At home after removing all the bubble wrap the case was externally unmarked and in new condition as in the photograph.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

So far so good! Until I opened it, to me the internal fitting was a disaster performed by some muppet. It was designed for the barrels to be mounted with the barrel lumps at the side like the version I did but the method used was idiotic with the speciality of having the barrel divider secured at each end only with the rest of the internal fitting done by a child using its feet. To add insult to injury the inner covering was a paper backed sort of felt.

To further lower the quality the lid has a foam backed greenish material that I have no idea what it is also another piece was also included may be for wiping the gun who knows. also if you look closely you can see the marks where the external straps where in the case with the material leaching out the oil from the leather making a permanent shadow of the straps.
What I thought was going to be a just put the gun in and use it has now the potential for a single gun re fit the traditional way. BUT!!!! It will be a case of the better half of the marriage to give me a hand on the finer eyesight details if I re fit it properly, I have spoken to her and her first response was "Ernie what where you thinking" so not a definite no! The case is to good to be left in that state so I will wrap it up and put in my workshop with the Bolt of Velvet I have kept for such occasion. Will leave it for a few months and make a start with help so as they say "watch this space. Do I use as is or refit what do you think?
Liked Replies
by damascus
damascus
Some good news I will re fit the case in a traditional way. not so good news it will be later in the year Autumn/Fall. It is now the start of summer hear and my wife and I are gardeners though my wife is more keen than myself so we have rather a large garden to keep up and not let nature take to much back, this being the case spare time for other distractions is limited. Also on warmer days I do have to sit and keep an eye on the fish in the pond in case they start fighting each other and making sure that the water lilies have the correct colour flowers showing plus keeping that relaxing chair company in case it misses me, tough the most important job is to keep the Ouzo and lemon at the correct low temperature producing memories of the Greek Islands.

Todays garden photograph's Sunday 4th June.

It is said that if you have a God you are closer to them in a Garden, even if you dont it is a pleasant place to be. I do not think that my wife after so many years of marriage will put a bowl of hot Digitalis soup with croutons and Basil to help me on my way, though there are a lot this year in the garden.
3 members like this
by keith
keith
I always enjoy your tutorials Ernie, and have great respect for your advice and experience. So naturally, I am hoping you will decide to remodel this trunk case, and make it much better than the present state.

And having seen your workmanship on refurbishing a Leather Trunk Case before, I seriously doubt that there will be a single vote suggesting that you simply leave it as-is. Count me as one of many who will be checking in and hoping you start soon.
2 members like this
by damascus
damascus
Stanton. the case is made to hold a maximum thirty inch set of barrels
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.