April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jem Finch, skeettx, LRF, 3 invisible), 1,042 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,122
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Argo44, BrentD, Prof, SKB, Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#630524 05/24/2023 2:46 AM
by Mike Harrell
Mike Harrell
My newest is something of a conundrum. It's a J. P. Sauer and Son 12 gauge with extra full chokes, 2 3/4" chambers with a claw mounted scope. The only reason that I can think of for this shotgun would be driven game.
And even then it doesn't make a lot of sense. Cheaper model per all the punch type decoration.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Liked Replies
#630573 May 24th a 08:05 PM
by Mike Harrell
Mike Harrell
Always have a plan. My gunshow table always has a couple of odd ones.
2 members like this
#630554 May 24th a 02:39 PM
by Der Ami
Der Ami
The gun was made after JP Sauer set up operations in West Germany, under new management. It was made in the old Sauer plant, under communist management, and maybe even using some prewar parts. The marking on the barrel that says Vorm J P Sauer... means Formerly J P Sauer.... It was likely used for deer and pigs, as well as small game during the time in East Germany that the use of rifles was restricted. The scope would likely have been removed during drive hunts for small game and likely would have been used with Brenneke or similar slugs for deer and pigs. Such slugs were made to be used in guns with any choke and could be surprisingly accurate with proper sighting at limited distances. During this time, especially in the East Zone, the guns were likely kept at State controlled "clubs", rather than at the hunter's home. It should be remembered that in the lean post war years, game meat was a very important (even more so than now) food source. Interestingly, my German gunsmith friend's father lived in the East Zone and was a hunter. The saleable game was taken by the State, rather than the hunters. When a Fox was taken, the hunter had to turn over the valuable pelt to the State. When my friend's father took a fox, he would stake the carcass out is a stream and allow the water to run over it overnight, before taking it home to eat. The stream washed the oils away, making the meat palatable. During desperate times meat is meat.
Mike
1 member likes this
#630617 May 25th a 06:59 PM
by damascus
damascus
I have seen two shotguns set up with a telescopic sight both the standard 12 bore. Each gun had a companion though the chances of them staying together would be very much against because of our licencing laws. Each of the guns had a full length rifle sleeve for one of the barrels each gun it was the left. Going by what I was told this setup was useful in the field for the odd deer. One of the guns I became familiar with for a time was a Webley & Scot box lock that I fitted a replacement stock, its original stock had a planted on leather cheek piece not of the best workmanship. Sadly I was there when the rifle sleeve was cut up for scrap, to own such a gun having a rifle sleeve you would need to have a firearms licence as well as a shotgun licence so making the guns prospect of a sale very small so the sleeve had to go.
I still have the stock that was removed from the gun so I will post a picture in a couple of days of workshop storage box hunting.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.