March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (SKB, LRF, 1 invisible), 328 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,977
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Thread Like Summary
craigd, eeb, Geo. Newbern, GLS, Ken Nelson, Parabola, SKB, Stanton Hillis, Ted Schefelbein
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#630436 05/22/2023 3:48 PM
by Bob Cash
Bob Cash
I searched.

What are your top 3 hunting books.
Liked Replies
#630446 May 22nd a 07:04 PM
by playing hooky
playing hooky
10th Legion by Tom Kelly
Race at Morning by William Faulkner
Multiple other books by Kelly, especially The Boat, The Season, and Dealer’s Choice
2 members like this
#630444 May 22nd a 06:41 PM
by AZMike
AZMike
" A Fine and Pleasant Misery", "the Grasshopper Trap" by Patrick McManus
"Live Pigeon and Trap Shooting". by Cyril Adams
2 members like this
#630460 May 22nd a 10:34 PM
by Mike Rowe
Mike Rowe
Any three of Jim Corbett's books.
1 member likes this
#630442 May 22nd a 06:17 PM
by ClapperZapper
ClapperZapper
Different times require different reads.
I enjoyed Babcock’s stories then, Buckingham’s, and Hemingway’s.
Now? Nickerson, and old tomes about the birth of conservation and game management.

Are you looking for fiction? Non fiction?
1 member likes this
#630522 May 24th a 02:28 AM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
I found out about Corbett in a reprint article in "Boy's Life" magazine, the publication of the Boy Scouts of America, when I was a young teen. I was mesmerized. I remember where I was when I read that story, some 55+ years ago.
1 member likes this
#630585 May 25th a 12:22 AM
by craigd
craigd
It's similar with the US. There are great books on the fur trade, buffalo hunting, the frontier, market hunting waterfowl, and on and on. Not exactly topics to bring up, while chatting at a free charging station.
1 member likes this
#630560 May 24th a 04:07 PM
by FallCreekFan
FallCreekFan
One high on my list that hasn’t been mentioned is Kingsley-Heath’s Hunting the Dangerous Game of Africa.
1 member likes this
#630558 May 24th a 03:42 PM
by lagopus
lagopus
Along a similar line to Corbett's works are three books I have by Kenneth Anderson: 'Nine Maneaters and One Rogue', 'The Black Panther of Sivanipali' and 'Tales From the Indian Jungle'. You might also like 'Tiger! Tiger!' by William Baze.

Just been digging through the forgotten corners of my bookshelves and found three other possibles: 'Mauled by a Tiger' by Arthur W. Strachan, 'The Tigers of Trengganu' by Lt. Col. A. Locke, and another good read with an unusual finale and that is 'Between the Elephant's Eyes' by Robert L. Scott. I refuse to divulge the ending but it worth the read. Lagopus.....
1 member likes this
#630837 May 30th a 04:03 PM
by LGF
LGF
If you can find it, "Mambas and Maneaters: A hunter's story " by C.J.P. Ionides is a terrific window on East Africa in the first half of the twentieth century. Iodine, as he was known locally, was a wonderfully eccentric Brit who started his career as a soldier in India, then became an ivory poacher in Africa. He went legit and became a professional hunter, and eventually was hired as warden of the Selous Game Reserve in then Tanganyika, still the largest reserve in Africa. The life of a warden back then was daily adventure, hence the Maneaters in the title. In those days, British officials in the colonies got long leaves of absence, as most went back to the UK and travel was by steamer. Instead, Iodine spent his leaves hunting in remote areas all over the continent, collecting specimens of everything on four legs, using mostly his .470 NE, of which I am now the proud owner. His descriptions of travel and hunting in remote areas are fascinating, but even then he witnessed the decimation of species which are now essentially extinct in the wild.

When he retired from the Game Department, he made his home in a part of the Selous which he reckoned had the highest density and diversity of poisonous snakes in Africa, hence Mambas. He was Africa's first herpetologist and collected specimens both for research collections and to supply venom for the production of antivenin. He was bitten many times by a variety of snakes, used no antivenin afterwards, and took detailed notes on the effects of the venom and his recovery. E. Africa in those days had plenty of wild characters but few matched Iodine.
1 member likes this
#631292 Jun 10th a 01:28 PM
by lagopus
lagopus
'Maneaters of Tsavo' by Patterson maybe? Good read by any standards. Lagopus.....
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.