May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (SKB, prairie ghost, CJ Dawe), 441 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,495
Posts545,347
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
canvasback, DAM16SXS, dogon, FelixD, John Roberts, Karl Graebner, Parabola, SKB, Stanton Hillis, Tim Cartmell
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Kip
Kip
Hi all,

I'm looking to get my first really nice gun and don't have experience negotiating with dealers at this level, I could use a bit of help on how to approach this.

If they're listing a (used) gun for $25k, what's a good price to float them initially, and what would you expect to pay at the end of it all? I just read an article by Diggory Hadoke where he mentioned that fine guns can sometimes sell for half of their initial asking price which got me wondering if I've been going about this all wrong.

Advice is much appreciated.
Kip
Liked Replies
by dogon
dogon
Three rules I try to live by.

Do your homework and know the approximate current market value for what you're interested in.

Never make an offer you're uncomfortable with and be prepared to make good on your offer.

Don't get caught-up emotionally in the heat of the moment and pay more than you think the gun is worth to you. There's always another one around the corner if you keep looking.
4 members like this
by John Roberts
John Roberts
Originally Posted by dogon
There's always another one around the corner if you keep looking.

No, there is not. I’ll provide one example: our fellow member here, Stan Hillis, has an L. C. Smith he bought at the Fall Southern SxS in Georgetown, SC years ago (where he and I first met and formed our great friendship). It is a mint Field Grade 16 ga. with 32” barrels choked tight, ejectors, and Hunter One trigger. Go find another one.
JR
3 members like this
by Lloyd3
Lloyd3
Most things can be negotiated (assuming it's not an uncommon item), but...the Stan example is a good one. Sometimes there really is only one that will ever cross your path. The key is knowing that.
2 members like this
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by John Roberts
Originally Posted by canvasback
Originally Posted by John Roberts
Originally Posted by dogon
There's always another one around the corner if you keep looking.

No, there is not. I’ll provide one example: our fellow member here, Stan Hillis, has an L. C. Smith he bought at the Fall Southern SxS in Georgetown, SC years ago (where he and I first met and formed our great friendship). It is a mint Field Grade 16 ga. with 32” barrels choked tight, ejectors, and Hunter One trigger. Go find another one.
JR

The exception doesn't prove the rule. And your comments are more germane to collectors (where I would somewhat agree with you), rather than shooters.
Dogon said “there’s always another one around the corner” was my disagreement, Cb. There is no “rule” to prove, exceptions or none. And Stan is a shooter.
JR

Once I looked that gun over I immediately realized I was looking at a gun without many peers, as a late season dove gun, and because of the rarity of the options on a Field grade Elsie. When I looked at the hang tag and saw it was completed on my birthday I think I let out a low "Oh, no". The owner asked what was wrong. I gave up any hope of bargaining when I told him the gun was completed on my birthday, though years earlier. Had I been a savvy gun trader I would've never let on. Because I let the cat out of the bag the hope of negotiating was gone with the wind. I was able to work a trade with the owner so I didn't have to pay full asking price. Ab-so-lute-ly no regrets.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Collector? ....... nah. Shooter? ....... yeah.
2 members like this
by spring
spring
Many if not most of the guns you're looking at are being sold on consignment. The willingness to negotiate is likely affected by the actual owner's sentiments as given to the dealer. How long the gun has been on the market is likely a factor among other things. Never hurts to give the owner a chance to say "no" as he has a desire to have cash instead of that gun.
I bought a nice English gun a year ago that I knew had been on the market for over a year. I made an offer at about 89% of the asking the price and bought it at 90%.
1 member likes this
by GLS
GLS
There are some gundealers who won't budge a dime off listings. As has been pointed out, some guns sold by dealers are on consignment and unless they are willing to take a cut of commission without leaving a net to the seller being the same amount if sold at full price, they have no authority to lower the "ask". Dealer who actually own guns are more inclined to move some. Individuals selling guns who aren't in the business will often move off the asking. There are "tells". An individual who states the price is his "asking" price is hinting that he is open to negotiation. "Firm" means "firm", but there is no penalty for counteroffering. Worse thing seller can do in that instance is say "no". "Firm" offers by non-dealers will often loosen up over time. If you do a "wouldja take" counteroffer, you better mean it if accepted. Anyone who feels insulted at an offer being too low is blowing smoke if they say negotiation is over because of the low offer. Do not ever bid against yourself. A buddy who was in law school sold cars during summer break while numbskulls such as me worked construction. His sales manager gave the following advice: "Tell the potential customer what the sales price is. Never say there might be movement. Make the offer and shut up. If you feel compelled to say something again, stare at the point of your pencil and keep your mouth shut." Same advice applies to a buyer. Gil
1 member likes this
by KY Jon
KY Jon
Stan, that gun looks to be a fine collector of late season dove. The person who ordered that gun had unique and good taste.
1 member likes this
by SKB
SKB
And that is other half of the equation, when you have found what you are looking for, make your move.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.