April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (griz, eightbore, ClapperZapper, Jtplumb), 1,313 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,469
Posts545,143
Members14,409
Most Online1,319
Apr 27th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Bob Cash, dirty harry, John Roberts, keith, Ted Schefelbein, tut
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#628921 04/20/2023 4:07 AM
by Bob Cash
Bob Cash
Love most of you,
Hate some of you,
Thank all of you.

A thousand thank you's to Ky Jon.
Ted said it best, feathers belong on chickens
Cecil has the goods.

English Walnut, who knew?

Restocking a Diana.
28 gauge, 28", RNLT, Makers butt plate

Blanks are shown both sides

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Liked Replies
#628924 Apr 20th a 04:11 AM
by pipeliner
pipeliner
My pick 33
2 members like this
#628949 Apr 20th a 04:37 PM
by FallCreekFan
FallCreekFan
It was hard for me to move past 1H but after looking at them all - 1H.
2 members like this
#628938 Apr 20th a 12:09 PM
by craigd
craigd
Luv you Bob, not really, will fight your anti America agendas forever, but those are some much nicer blanks. Even if yours isn't in this batch, things are looking up.
2 members like this
#628927 Apr 20th a 08:10 AM
by gunmaker
gunmaker
38, but I’d flip it
1 member likes this
#628929 Apr 20th a 09:41 AM
by Hal M Hare
Hal M Hare
I thought #19 looked GREAT!
1 member likes this
#628931 Apr 20th a 10:23 AM
by tut
tut
Originally Posted by gunmaker
38, but I’d flip it
Bingo.
1 member likes this
#628933 Apr 20th a 11:06 AM
by Jusanothajoe
Jusanothajoe
Really don't see a bad one in the bunch, but #33 does it for me.
1 member likes this
#628934 Apr 20th a 11:09 AM
by Buzz
Buzz
I know you hate me, but that’s beside the point. I see you are looking at Cecil’s high end stuff in the $2000-$1750 range per blank. Cecil has some pretty nice English in the $500-$750 range but you have to sort through a lot of photos to find a suitable one. I found some with straight in the grip grain that turned out very nice $750. One blank I put on an SC3 grade Perazzi sporting as a custom fitted stock. It’s pretty darned nice. Good luck.
1 member likes this
#628936 Apr 20th a 11:37 AM
by BrentD, Prof
BrentD, Prof
I'll vote for 1-H (the first one), but 38 and 33 are just fine too
1 member likes this
#628937 Apr 20th a 11:42 AM
by KY Jon
KY Jon
33, 38, 19, a lot of good choices to pick from. They all look good with some having a bit extra. Do consider that they might look different when turned but by being equal figure on both sides they should still be a fine stock. As I said, any one sided blank runs the risk of becoming very plain when turned, it might get better or it could turn into a plain grade with neither color or figure. Two sided blanks almost never do. I think Cecil did find you several great blanks to pick from. At this level it is personal taste.
1 member likes this
#628948 Apr 20th a 03:41 PM
by canvasback
canvasback
Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof
I'll vote for 1-H (the first one), but 38 and 33 are just fine too

I’ve bought a couple very similar to 1-H , including one from Cecil. They turned out spectacularly. One is on a Belgian 28 custom that belongs to my gunsmith friend Chris Dawe. The other is on a Sauer sidelock that Chris and CJO are in the middle of bringing back to life.
1 member likes this
#628952 Apr 20th a 05:17 PM
by Daryl Hallquist
Daryl Hallquist
At first I thought Mr. Cash was kidding about the original blanks he selected. Maybe just some fishing for some goofy comments from the normal yahoos. I see some better blanks , but many have one side figure, or one side with receiver grain correct, but the other side not so good. I agree with gunmaker that #38 could be good if the layout was flip flopped .
1 member likes this
#628959 Apr 20th a 07:21 PM
by KY Jon
KY Jon
Cecil can include a matching forend blank. He had a room full of them last time I was there. If you change wood types you need to do both I would rather do three butt stocks than one with a forend. Often it takes me far longer to do the forend. Worse is the wood to metal fit is very long and right under eye. Nothing gets missed or hidden on a bad forend job.
1 member likes this
#628974 Apr 20th a 11:10 PM
by AGS
AGS
I just saw this thread on the Parker site. I think there is a problem in that two number 38's are shown. I think the lower one may have been labelled 33 in the other site posting. The upper one is the one I would choose. The second 38 has some problems, I think, in the wrist area and I wouldn't trust it. Number 19 looks really nice, but there is a not just above the wrist that may affect it internally.
1 member likes this
#628982 Apr 21st a 12:51 AM
by Brittany Man
Brittany Man
Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by AGS
I just saw this thread on the Parker site. I think there is a problem in that two number 38's are shown. I think the lower one may have been labelled 33 in the other site posting. The upper one is the one I would choose. The second 38 has some problems, I think, in the wrist area and I wouldn't trust it. Number 19 looks really nice, but there is a not just above the wrist that may affect it internally.

I just noticed that. Yes, the second 38 looks to be asking for trouble in the wrist area. I prefer the very first blank pictured, with the straight, contrasty grain through the wrist, and the figure in the butt.

Best,
Ted
38/1500 has the wrist issues & I agree w/ Ted. 38/1750 isn't perfect but I've seen worse used & I was assuming this was the blank people were suggesting "flipping" the layout
1 member likes this
#628970 Apr 20th a 09:33 PM
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
I wouldn’t use 38, period.

Best,
Ted
1 member likes this
#629201 Apr 25th a 02:52 AM
by KY Jon
KY Jon
Bob, if you have a stocker picked out get his input about your last two or three choices. The stocker too often get stuck trying to make the customers bad wood choice work, when if asked earlier the stocker can point out things that might become a problem and suggest things to get a better outcome. I also would request more photos of the final two blank choices. I want top and bottom as well as both ends. That will tell you how centered the blank is and if there is a problem with run out with the grain running across the blank or along the long axis. Cecil will know what you need and can get them to you. You do know you just scratched the very tip[ of his wood pile? And he loves to talk wood.
1 member likes this
#629155 Apr 24th a 11:22 AM
by keith
keith
Originally Posted by Daryl Hallquist
At first I thought Mr. Cash was kidding about the original blanks he selected. Maybe just some fishing for some goofy comments from the normal yahoos. I see some better blanks , but many have one side figure, or one side with receiver grain correct, but the other side not so good. I agree with gunmaker that #38 could be good if the layout was flip flopped .

Daryl, If you seriously think Bob was kidding about the original blanks he selected, then you haven't been paying attention to what drives him, aside from the hope to turn a nice profit on this Superposed when he sells it. This is someone who called me everything but a white English gentleman when I informed him a couple years ago that the finished stock on another Browning was not the same piece of wood that he had showed us in blank form. But he wasn't at all nasty to fellow Lib rocky mtn bill when Billy informed him that the finished stock was not only not from the same tree, but it wasn't even the same species of walnut. The knowledge some here have about double shotguns is literally what little they purchase when they pay their gunsmith.

Originally Posted by Bob Cash
Love most of you,
Hate some of you,
Thank all of you.

A thousand thank you's to Ky Jon.
Ted said it best, feathers belong on chickens
Cecil has the goods.

English Walnut, who knew?

I have no motivation to help someone choosing a stock blank when he joined a few of his Liberal pals in a doxxing attack on me here, and has called me a Nazi literally dozens of times here because I frequented the shop of a local gunsmith who was an armorer in the German Army during WWII, when I was in my teens. I'd have to guess that I'm one of those he hates. I'd also guess that it somehow makes sense to censor and moderate me, but not him. Every business has a target audience or market, and the Liberal left seems to be favored here. That isn't working out well at the moment for Anheuser Busch though. Time will tell.

I am surprised that of all these people making recommendations as to which blank to choose, nobody asked if the stock was to be a straight grip or pistol grip configuration. Only Ted and Doug Mann were concerned about grain flow through the grip and runout at the head. Those things would make a difference to me, more than how flashy the figure is in the butt.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.