Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,229
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Bob Cash, BrentD, Prof, canvasback, FallCreekFan, graybeardtmm3, Imperdix, John Roberts, Karl Graebner, keith, mc, NCTarheel, Ted Schefelbein
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#628833 04/17/2023 11:49 PM
by Bob Cash
Bob Cash
I've got a 28 gauge Diana that I'll be restocking.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Only because some expert is going to chime in,
There are no cracks in these blanks.
You're seeing dying lacquer thinner, not splits

Liked Replies
#628840 Apr 18th a 12:59 AM
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
I’d rather have a straight grained European walnut stock on a Superposed, than any piece of American black walnut.

Best,
Ted
6 members like this
#628834 Apr 18th a 12:00 AM
by rocky mtn bill
rocky mtn bill
If I were you, I'd keep looking. These two blanks appear to have serious flaws, and the grain could make drilling for the throughbolt difficult. Just my take.
4 members like this
#628877 Apr 18th a 10:13 PM
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
I don’t like seeing American black walnut on European guns. They never came that way. English or French walnut is a superior gunstock wood. Many American guns did come with American black walnut, and the right piece of wood on one looks like it belongs there.

There have been a few Darne guns floating around the ‘Net with capped pistol grip stocks, something they never came with when they were new. Invariably, they are stocked in black walnut, and it sticks out like a sore thumb. Even if the work is perfect (it seldom is). Nice French walnut, even fairly plain just looks like it belongs there. Because, it does.

I don’t object to a varnish if it is a bit subdued. A semigloss poly wears like iron, and looks OK on a gun that sees a lot of weather. Oil is beautiful, but, I grasp the reasons people don’t like it. I like it, however.

At the end of the day, a guy should do what he wants, and what he can afford. I’ve seen a purple Cadillac Eldorado, somebody must have liked it enough to do that, but, I don’t want one.

Best,
Ted
4 members like this
#628870 Apr 18th a 08:13 PM
by Doug Mann
Doug Mann
Bob, I know I'm a little late to the party but I do have a couple of questions. What variety of walnut is this? When was it cut? If wood dealer can't answer the last question that could be a problem. I would also suggest that you put a couple of coats of finish on the blanks and retake the photos so the wood can be seen as far as layout goes. Also, and maybe most important, take a photo of the top and bottom of the blanks to see if there is any runout in the head of the blanks. Riff or quarter sawn probably won't show much if any but slab sawn sure will. I will say that I personally am not a fan of crotch figure in the grip area of a stock but that's just me.

I will say that I agree with Ted on wood choice, for my own use I use California English or Turkish. That said I have two French blanks that are elegant and more restrained than Cal English of fancy Turkish. Yes I own these to blanks but they already have a home.

Good luck with your project, it's your gun and do with it what you want.
3 members like this
#628896 Apr 19th a 03:11 PM
by KY Jon
KY Jon
BrentD politician would be a much worse label. Nothing the matter with enjoying nice looking stock wood. I have about 20 wood blanks on top of my gun cases for viewing pleasure. I have more wood than I ever will get to use but at least I get to enjoy it this way. My favorite was crotch black but as I mature I find English with marbling and a nice smoky background gets my attention. Not so in love with Turkish as much as English/French.
3 members like this
#628842 Apr 18th a 02:53 AM
by prairie ghost
prairie ghost
You're in CA and cannot find a decent piece of English walnut? I'm with Ted but keep looking.
2 members like this
#628889 Apr 19th a 01:57 PM
by KY Jon
KY Jon
Go to a dealer who has hundreds of blanks and select from that group. Odd blanks on the internet are often leftovers. On the left coast I would go to Vegas and visit Cecil. Great inventory and a decent fellow to deal with in my experience.
2 members like this
#628891 Apr 19th a 02:18 PM
by GLS
GLS
Originally Posted by canvasback
Exactly what I would do as well. Best reason to visit Vegas I know of.
Could be the only reason. Three things not on my bucket list: 1) cruise 2) Las Vegas, and worst of all, 3) cruise to Las Vegas. Gil
2 members like this
#628856 Apr 18th a 04:27 PM
by John Roberts
John Roberts
Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
I’d rather have a straight grained European walnut stock on a Superposed, than any piece of American black walnut.

Best,
Ted

Amen Ted. Cash screwed up his 28 ga. upgrade by using American walnut with a candy-apple gloss finish rather than black streaked French/European walnut with a semi-gloss oil varnish. His choice, of course.
JR
1 member likes this
#628859 Apr 18th a 04:59 PM
by canvasback
canvasback
Originally Posted by Bob Cash

i don't think that pic is selling your choice. At least not to a lot of members here. English walnut, semi gloss oil finish wins hands down. It's not like you have to go black walnut. It's not a Winchester and you aren't a stickler for originality.
1 member likes this
#628886 Apr 19th a 12:36 PM
by craigd
craigd
Something seemed to have happened to the original post, as far as being able to go through a number of blanks. I'd wonder a little, not too much, if some one told me some of the dark streaks crossing the grain was dying laquer thinner. Anyway, there was comment about grain running off the blank,which I doubt can be helped in the butt area, but seems to certainly happening where the wrist would probably be.

Select any wood you might want, but you seem to have the luxury of being able to keep looking. Put your eye candy that you want at the back end, but maybe not under where the checkering might be. There is a fair chance that consecutive arches are not a special way of how the tree grew, but simply how it was sawn.
1 member likes this
#628895 Apr 19th a 02:53 PM
by BrentD, Prof
BrentD, Prof
Originally Posted by Bob Cash
I just got pff the telephone with Cecil and I will have files to peruse in short order.
Thanks to all and especially K Jon for the education, information and suggestions.
I think I'm going to lay off the feather. I 'll endeavor to make haste slowly.

Now we are talking. I'd love to see what he sends you. If you can stand the commentary, I hope you post the candidates here. I've been called a wood whore. There are worse things to be, for certain.
1 member likes this
#628835 Apr 18th a 12:01 AM
by KY Jon
KY Jon
First blank looks to be one sided. Might get better when cut. Second blank does not call me. Might look better in hand. A project like you describe needs a blank which makes me super interested in seeing it completed. To me the blank is the cheapest part of a custom stock when you consider the total cost. Good luck and I hope you get what you like. After all this is a gun to make you happy. Get what you want.
1 member likes this
#628893 Apr 19th a 02:44 PM
by Bob Cash
Bob Cash
I just got off the telephone with Cecil and I will have files to peruse in short order.
Thanks to all and especially K Jon for the education, information and suggestions.
I think I'm going to lay off the feather. I 'll endeavor to make haste slowly.
1 member likes this
#628913 Apr 19th a 11:52 PM
by tut
tut
Late to the party. Did not care for either of the ones posted. Layout on both was poor in my mind and that always trumps figure. Cecil has some great blanks. Make ste you either get larger blank to also get a forearm out of it, or have him pick out a matching forearm blank for you.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.