April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (HMAK, fallschirmjaeger), 339 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,458
Posts544,977
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
aw1776, BrentD, Prof, bushveld, Buzz, Chukarman, DAM16SXS, doublenut, DoubleTake, ed good, Ghostrider, GLS, graybeardtmm3, John Roberts, Kip, mc, Run With The Fox, SKB, Stanton Hillis, Ted Schefelbein
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#628677 04/12/2023 10:31 PM
by arrieta2
arrieta2
I see on one of their latest posts on GI they are no longer offering a 3 day inspection. They stated that with all the pictures that they provide that should suffice

So you look, you buy, you own it. Period.

Stay well

John Boyd
Liked Replies
#628679 Apr 12th a 11:51 PM
by SKB
SKB
I offer a 5 day shooting encouraged inspection period. It is absolutely no trouble to accommodate a remote buyer by providing an inspection period. Shameful really.
9 members like this
#628684 Apr 13th a 11:07 AM
by GLS
GLS
Online sales have changed the game wherein a buyer would walk-in, check the gun out in hand and walk out never to be seen again. Online gives the seller wider exposure and more opportunities to sell, and conversely, the buyer has more opportunities to find what he wants. Someone willing to send a $10,000 check to Galazan is a serious buyer and deserves more than Galazan is willing to do. I've only been burned one time on a lesser delight gun by a seller who operated by the Galazan rule. And the horses they rode in on... Gil
4 members like this
#628705 Apr 14th a 05:15 PM
by Southern Sport
Southern Sport
I bought a gun from George Caswell at Champlins last year. This was done over the phone with pics online. He told me to take it out and shoot as much as I wanted, just use factory ammo suited to the gun. He said If I didn't like it after a month or there were any issues with it to send it back. He was great to deal with and a fine conversationalist.
4 members like this
#628709 Apr 14th a 10:27 PM
by obsessed-with-doubles
obsessed-with-doubles
"... for used guns, a non stated return policy is sellers best policy..."

Yeah, so all the risk is shifted to the buyer and the seller can always find a way to weasel out of doing anything.

OWD
3 members like this
#628730 Apr 15th a 05:01 PM
by obsessed-with-doubles
obsessed-with-doubles
That kind of thinking is why I have nothing to do with sellers who do not offer at least a 3-day inspection/return policy with a 100% purchase price refund.

In my experience, sellers who don't offer this are usually less than honest.

"Requesting", "granting" -- come on, too much risk for me, too much of a PITA.

And all so someone can get my $$? No thanks.

OWD
3 members like this
#628916 Apr 20th a 01:07 AM
by doublenut
doublenut
I noticed this recent policy change as well. They listed a gun that I had high interest in but due to new policy did not pursue. While at the April Tulsa show I had the opportunity to physically/visually inspect gun. What was not shown in pics or described in the add was significant frosting/pitting in the left barrel and some other items that weren’t shown in pics or described. Given the poor pics/less than full description I would have been stuck w/a gun that was worth significantly less than priced on line. Just one person’s experience but unless I can see a used gun in hand from them I won’t be purchasing any from them in the future on line. Not worth the risk to me. IMHO - doublenut
3 members like this
#628812 Apr 17th a 07:00 PM
by keith
keith
Originally Posted by SKB
I offer a 5 day shooting encouraged inspection period. It is absolutely no trouble to accommodate a remote buyer by providing an inspection period. Shameful really.

"Shameful" is in the eye of the beholder...

I think it is very shameful to criticize the business practice of Galazan/CSMC when they haven't done anything morally wrong. As John Roberts notes, it is strictly their decision, and is probably done solely to eliminate nuisance returns from nitpickers and tire kickers. Nobody is forcing anyone here to buy from them either.

It is also shameful to use this Doublegunshop forum to do Free Advertising in your tagline. The people who continue to do it are fully aware that Dave Weber asks for a token payment of $12.00 for sales that result from advertising on his website. They also know it is morally wrong to do a sneaky end-run to skirt the rules of selling goods or services here. And they have all seen Dave's feelings about being taken advantage of by those who advertise their business ventures here without compensation for those perpetual free advertisements.

Imagine if Galazan/CSMC did the same thing here. And imagine if they knew they were profiting from free advertising, and even bragged about the number of sales (or gun importing jobs) their free advertising generated. Then if they gave someone who pointed out their Free Advertising and bragging a "LIKE", most would consider that shameful behavior a finger-poke in Dave's eye.

Now, that would be really shameful... but some folks have no shame. This is why they say people who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

I can appreciate if a seller wishes to back a gun with a return policy. By all accounts from actual customers, Tony and Lou have always taken care of any actual problem with the guns they sell, so I would not be concerned about being taken on a purchase. If a gun buyer isn't smart enough to ask pertinent questions about function, condition, refinishing, etc., then they probably aren't smart enough to stop supporting anti-gun Democrats either. Hard to feel sorry for adults who refuse to use their brains. Many of the guns I own were bought at Gun Shows. I made my inspection, asked questions, and decided to buy, and in most cases never saw the sellers again. No problems yet. Same with Internet purchases. The only problem I ever had was with shipping damage, and the seller was willing to adjust the price or accept a return.

aw1776 made an excellent point about Gun Auction Sales. I sure don't see them offering any No Questions Asked Return Policy. And the same could be said about most of the big ticket items we buy. How many Auto Dealers are willing to let you drive a vehicle for 3 or 5 days, and then return it because you don't like it? How about calling a Realtor several days after closing on a house, and saying you changed your mind because you decided you don't like the neighbors, or traffic noise?
3 members like this
#628751 Apr 16th a 12:35 PM
by aw1776
aw1776
I had just one more thought on the subject it seems that there are an awful lot of guns being sold through the auction houses some of them at record high prices that they advertise but when I read the terms and conditions of the auction, they say the only thing that they guarantee is what they put in bold letters in the description which is just generally the make and gauge or caliber of gun so when you get a gun from an auction house and it’s not what you thought, do they offer a three day inspection? And they seem to be selling the majority of guns from the ultra expensive to the inexpensive guns on all of the lesser sales , how does that work? Could somebody explain it to me if you look at all the auction houses Morphy Poulin amoskeag rock island and countless others and they make it very clear the guarantee is only what is in the bold headline nothing else. The amount of sporting guns and other types of guns are selling seems to far away anything any dealers have when you buy something from them you are entirely on your own and how can you go inspect all the guns they’re all over the country? and some of the descriptions are not very technical at all.
2 members like this
#628696 Apr 13th a 11:14 PM
by John Roberts
John Roberts
I'm pretty sure they will fudge on this policy if you're on their "A" list. I've done a lot of business with CSM and Lou Frutoso over the past 15-20 years and have nothing but good to say about the transactions. But I have to say the CSM guns I've owned have been hit and miss with function, yet they always made good on whatever the issue was. I like Lou and consider him a good friend, and greatly admire Tony Galazan and what he's done for the fine gun community. I was buying guns from Tony way before he ever formed CSM, and never had any complaints with anything I purchased.

The market will decide how this works out for CSM...
JR
1 member likes this
#628697 Apr 14th a 02:07 AM
by dukxdog
dukxdog
Any used gun should have at least a 3 day inspection return policy.

New guns are totally different. Order it and receive it you bought it.
1 member likes this
#628698 Apr 14th a 09:49 AM
by Kolar Dickson
Kolar Dickson
We are all experienced gun buyers. Just another reason to never buy a CSMC gun.
poor qc, cs, intrinsic value and reputation.

As far as the G1 is concerned, view ports to oil? BFD. 6-9 grand. No thanks.

If you want to support an American company in the custom clay Target realm, see Kolar in racine wisconsin

Brilliant design, execution and the best customer service. A world apart from Galazan

Otherwise production new or used K80, perazzi, blaser all top tier with years of refinement, QC and CS would get my money and have.
1 member likes this
#628701 Apr 14th a 12:39 PM
by L. Brown
L. Brown
Originally Posted by SKB

I just purchased a gun from Jaqua's. They also offer 5 days with an OK to shoot the gun. I think that's good, but I still prefer face to face. Even with very good photos.
1 member likes this
#628703 Apr 14th a 01:08 PM
by aw1776
aw1776
I have never bought anything from them or sold them anything but I did go up with a friend/uncle to look at a gun. He read their policy and talk to them about it and they sent him 30 pictures of the gun. He still said he wanted to see it we went up there, he said the gun was better than the pictures and he bought it. It was a fox a grade 16 gauge when he was there. He brought up another fox a that he couldn’t close and it wouldn’t cock. They fixed a form in about 20 minutes and gave it back to them without any charge , when I was there, they were selling guns on the phone and people were in there buying guns. I talk to one guy that owns an A-10. He told me he has shot it over 600,000 times and it’s his favorite gun. I looked at their website and they have some pretty powerful people , there seem to be pleased with their guns doing testimonials they’re way out of my price range but when you go there you have never seen so many over and under and side-by-side guns from all over the world and they have an inventory of what they sell online is nothing not even close. I can just tell you my uncle /friend seems to be very happy and he is a pain in the ass all I can tell you is I know from my business I think the volume that they’re handling you’re always going to get somebody that’s unhappy. The place is huge very nice salesman name Shane worked with us.
1 member likes this
#628713 Apr 15th a 01:11 AM
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
George and I have traded stuff over the years. I found him to be honest.

Best,
Ted
1 member likes this
#628745 Apr 16th a 01:41 AM
by obsessed-with-doubles
obsessed-with-doubles
You mean on your terms.

Also, I'm not so sure "... we all have the option to do business on our own terms."

Don't most states have laws and regulations about this stuff?

I don't think you can just make things up -- not even in NH.

OWD
1 member likes this
#628763 Apr 16th a 03:36 PM
by GLS
GLS
In any auction it is always the best practice to hire someone with expertise who will be at the auction to inspect the gun. I've done this in another hobby and it has worked out fine. Gil
1 member likes this
#628828 Apr 17th a 10:29 PM
by SKB
SKB
Glad you noticed my giving your posts a like Bill. You know how I cherish our relationship. All my best!

Steve
1 member likes this
#628721 Apr 15th a 12:23 PM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
If you, or I, do not agree with a seller's policies just walk. Protest with your checkbook, walking away. The only time I ever bought a gun sight unseen, that had a no return policy, I got mildly burned. I agreed to the terms when I sent the check, so I did not call him and try to convince him to pay the gunsmith bill. Honor prevented that. I did, however, vehemently protest his subsequent claims that he "would've made it right", in an effort to save face on this forum. All the regulars here know who he is, and know of his unscrupulous "tactics", so he will be unnamed.

Point is, don't support policies you don't agree with by writing a check. If you do, you have no one to blame but yourself, if things go awry.
1 member likes this
#628759 Apr 16th a 02:34 PM
by John Roberts
John Roberts
Originally Posted by aw1776
I had just one more thought on the subject it seems that there are an awful lot of guns being sold through the auction houses some of them at record high prices that they advertise but when I read the terms and conditions of the auction, they say the only thing that they guarantee is what they put in bold letters in the description which is just generally the make and gauge or caliber of gun so when you get a gun from an auction house and it’s not what you thought, do they offer a three day inspection? And they seem to be selling the majority of guns from the ultra expensive to the inexpensive guns on all of the lesser sales , how does that work? Could somebody explain it to me if you look at all the auction houses Morphy Poulin amoskeag rock island and countless others and they make it very clear the guarantee is only what is in the bold headline nothing else. The amount of sporting guns and other types of guns are selling seems to far away anything any dealers have when you buy something from them you are entirely on your own and how can you go inspect all the guns they’re all over the country? and some of the descriptions are not very technical at all.
An excellent point, aw1776.
JR
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.