April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (ithaca1, SKB, Roundsworth), 352 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,466
Posts545,093
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
campero, Hoot4570, Parabola
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#627048 03/07/2023 8:36 AM
by Parabola
Parabola
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Liked Replies
#627058 Mar 7th a 02:23 PM
by campero
campero
Sweet gun! Are you going to buy it?
1 member likes this
#627085 Mar 7th a 06:20 PM
by pipeliner
pipeliner
Great maker
1 member likes this
#627206 Mar 11th a 02:28 PM
by lagopus
lagopus
It was quite common practice to re-tube Rook Rifles to .22 or bore them to .410 shotgun as Rook Rifle ammunition became hard to get. There was a time when the Police would only allow these to be kept on a Firearms Certificate hence the boring out to smooth which meant that only a Shotgun Certificate was required. On a F.C. a reason for having had to be explained whereas on a S.C. no explanation was needed. They argued that you had no need for one rifled if you couldn't get ammo for it and refused the required certificate. More enlightened times came along and if suitable ammunition was obsolete then; if pre 1939 manufacture, it could be kept as an antique and no certificate required at all if held as a curiosity and not used. This then increased the value of original unaltered Rook Rifles. Sadly a lot had by then been 'butchered'. I remember being offered a H & H .300 Rook rifle in it case for £30 back in the '70's but unable to get the rifle put on my certificate. Probably worth around £2,000 by now!

I think you got a good buy with the Wiggan & Elliot and would happily pay that for it. In .22 shot it would have to go on and be listed on a S.C. as ammo is easily obtainable here. Oddly I have a .300 Rook Rifle that has been smoothed out and Proof tested at .300 Smooth which is a calibre that does not exist so doesn't require a certificate. It would be worth quite a bit more had it been left original. Lagopus.....
1 member likes this
#627269 Mar 12th a 02:04 PM
by lagopus
lagopus
I quite agree. The .300 Smooth is almost certainly a smoothed out .300 rifle. It is a Martini action model with no maker's name. I have it 'off certificate' as the law here accepts that if ammunition is not readily obtainable and it is not intended for use then it can be held as an antique. I did make a handful of .300 shot cartridges to test it out. A small drinks can the size of a rat was well peppered at around 10 feet. No one makes ammunition for .300 Rook any more, either bulleted or shot, but I did manage to get hold of quite a bit of old Eley and Kynoch ammunition. I have another .300 Rook rifle on my firearms certificate and I do use that one. A nice, and unusual, gun in that it is a side by side with one barrel rifled and the other .410 shotgun; a sort of miniature 'Cape Rifle'. I did have a .360 No.5 Rook rifle that I made ammo for using .38 S & W Special cases. Sadly that got sold in order to finance something else.

.22 Shot cartridges are still made and easy to obtain here in the brass crimped type. I have quite a few of the old paper stuff but they are now collector's items. The only .22 smoothbore I have is a Webley & Scott bolt action gun that was made as a shotgun and not a bored out rifle. I sometimes take it to despatch small animals in live cage traps or the odd garden rodent. Rook rifles now fetch good prices here in view of their Antique status.

I don't know if you are aware of the book; The Classic British Rook & Rabbit Rifle' by Colin Greenwood published by Crowood in 2006 ISBN-10 1 86126 880 7 or ISBN-13 978 1 86126 880 8. Quite interesting. Lagopus.....
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.