April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (SKB, R. Glenz, Lloyd3, Skeeterbd, 1 invisible), 830 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,832
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Ghostrider, graybeardtmm3, SKB, Stanton Hillis, Tim Cartmell
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#625710 02/02/2023 8:19 PM
by Tim Cartmell
Tim Cartmell
Has anyone ever came across a hybrid species of gamebirds in your years of hunting? The reason I ask, is that this year while I was out hunting, I shot what I thought was a immature Ruffed grouse. However, when I dressed it, to my surprise, it was dark meat like that of the Franklin or Spruce grouse. To me, it didn’t appear to be a female Spruce grouse, as they typically will have a small pink band above their eyes. So it got me to thinking about possible cross breed birds.

I did a Google search and found a discussion that had came up back in 2016. http://www.huntingbc.ca/forum/showthread.php?131913-Do-Grouse-Cross-Breed

This got me more interested and with further searching, I found that there have been cases of hybrid gamebird species discovered in the past. https://allbirdsoftheworld.fandom.com/wiki/Gamebird_hybrids#Pheasant_and_Grouse_hybrids
Willow Ptarmigan (Lagopus lagopus) and Spruce Grouse (Canachites canadensis), Dusky or Blue Grouse (Dendragapus obscurus) and Sharp-tailed grouse (Pedioecetes phasianellus) at Osoyoos, British Columbia, 1906 (Dr. John W. Aldrich), now those are interesting cross breeds!

TC
Liked Replies
#625713 Feb 2nd a 08:39 PM
by Borderbill
Borderbill
Here in AZ you come across a scrambled quail once and awhile. A mix between a Scaled quail and a Gambels quail.
4 members like this
#625755 Feb 3rd a 07:10 PM
by KY Jon
KY Jon
In North America, one of the most common wild hybrids results from mallard/pintail breeding. Mallards also commonly crossbreed with black ducks, wigeon, shovelers, cinnamon teal, green-winged teal, and gadwalls. Wood ducks also will cross breed with a number of other species. Snow geese will cross with Specks, a real weird looking one. I have seen maybe a dozen cross breeds in total, maybe a few more that at the time I did not realize were crosses. Sometimes with juvenile birds it is not that easy to tell. Love know few limits for a mallard. They will jump everything including a traffic cone given a chance.
2 members like this
#625718 Feb 2nd a 10:31 PM
by canvasback
canvasback
I've seen lots of duck hybrids over the years but nothing of upland variety,
1 member likes this
#625723 Feb 3rd a 12:02 AM
by CJ Dawe
CJ Dawe
Spruce grouse hen ,no doubt
1 member likes this
#625730 Feb 3rd a 11:41 AM
by ClapperZapper
ClapperZapper
I think wherever lekking areas overlap you get sharptail/prairie chicken hybrids.
1 member likes this
#625732 Feb 3rd a 12:08 PM
by L. Brown
L. Brown
Originally Posted by ClapperZapper
I think wherever lekking areas overlap you get sharptail/prairie chicken hybrids.

You do indeed. Also, as noted a few posts above, crosses between blues and bobs, resulting in blobs. Gotta love the name!

Quite a few years back, when I was guiding pheasant hunters in Iowa, I shot the oddest looking rooster I ever saw in the wild. The bird had white wings and a short, white tail. I yelled for my guys to shoot, but apparently they didn't think it was a rooster. I might not have either if I hadn't seen the red eye patch. You'll sometimes see birds like that on preserves, where they've released some albino pheasants and you end up with a cross. But that particular farm wasn't anywhere near a preserve. And by that time, I'd been hunting it for maybe 10 years and had never seen any pheasants that didn't look like you'd expect them to look.
1 member likes this
#625733 Feb 3rd a 12:08 PM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Mallard drakes will breed with many other species of ducks resulting in weird looking crosses. Sometimes the resulting coloration and shape make it possible to identify the parents, sometimes not. I even know of a cross between a woodie and a mallard, and mallards have crossed with teal as well.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/hunting/duck-hybrids/
1 member likes this
#625711 Feb 2nd a 08:33 PM
by Buzz
Buzz
Looks like a spruce grouse to me.
1 member likes this
#625725 Feb 3rd a 01:05 AM
by Tamid
Tamid
There are crosses between Meriums and Eastern turkeys in NW Montana. Shoot them quite regularily.
1 member likes this
#625729 Feb 3rd a 11:09 AM
by AZMike
AZMike
Patrick shot a Mearns crossed with a Scalie a couple of years ago, plumage was distinctly different than either but well shot and not salvageable. We do have photos.
We shot several Scrambles on Borderbills ranch over the years, fairly common on that range/elevation.
1 member likes this
#625728 Feb 3rd a 03:53 AM
by Joe Wood
Joe Wood
A time or two I’ve seen what we call Blobs—crosses between blues (scaled quail) and bobs.
1 member likes this
#625753 Feb 3rd a 05:53 PM
by Replacement
Replacement
Have shot at least one mourning/Eurasian dove near Yuma, confirmed by game warden.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.