April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (eeb, Fudd, bushveld, Geoff Roznak, 2 invisible), 416 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,226
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
battle, BrentD, Prof, campero, craigd, Dan S. W., Daryl Hallquist, David Williamson, dogon, Drew Hause, earlyriser, GLS, Jolly Bill, Karl Graebner, Marc Ret, mc, Parabola, Run With The Fox, Stanton Hillis, Ted Schefelbein, Tim Cartmell
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Daryl Hallquist
Daryl Hallquist
This is how partridge handle 17 degrees below zero.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Liked Replies
by Daryl Hallquist
Daryl Hallquist
Yesterday the wind was from the east, which is uncommon . Temperatures were about minus 10F with 15-20 mph wind. The partridge took refuge on the west side of the house. They don't look comfortable to me, but they soon appeared in the yard , scratching for something to eat.

"Made it through the night" Minus 14 F at the moment

5 members like this
by Daryl Hallquist
Daryl Hallquist
A few weeks ago there were 21 birds, then 20 in a couple of days. There are still 20 as of a few minutes ago. We have wondered what they were eating when they chose our lawn. I think it is the frozen green lawn grass that they are digging up. At least, that’s what I see in the areas where they scratched up food. There is a coulee near our place and I guess they winter in the brush there. But, they like what this frozen lawn has to offer, even if they have to dig for it.
2 members like this
by Drew Hause
Drew Hause
Wonderful image indeed.

https://www.onthewingphotography.com/wings/gray-partridge-images/
"Jugging" - The roosting of a covey of partridges (family Phasianidae), the group in the roost being called a 'jug'.

Possibly from the Scots 'jougs' - a round iron collar

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/ecology-grey-partridge-perdix-mervyn-p-walsh
In fine weather, the night is spent in a tight group in open areas preferably 25-80m from the nearest tree; a behaviour known as ‘jugging’.

I was hunting in NE KS in the above 0 teens in 10" of snow. My setter went on point, pointing at snow and no cover. I foolishly didn't trust the dog, but kicked around and out popped 6 quail that were in a snow-covered hole. Felt bad about disturbing them.
2 members like this
by Drew Hause
Drew Hause
Archibald Thorburn "Hard Times - Partridges and a Hare", 1892

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
2 members like this
by lagopus
lagopus
Well done Drew in finding references. I remember some years ago when on a sniping exercise on some open heather moorland. I must have been well cammed in because I had a pack of red grouse land all around me. What interested me most was the faint little calls that they made. I suppose that landing in thick heather they would need to call the brood together for the night and the faint calls were a way of doing just that. Quite a privilege to be a part of and I only wish I could have recorded it in some way as I would doubt many would have witnessed this behaviour. After a couple of minutes they must have rumbled me as they moved off somewhere else. Lagopus.....
2 members like this
by Drew Hause
Drew Hause
Another Thorburn "Partridges in a Winter Landscape"

2 members like this
by Drew Hause
Drew Hause
Thorburn's "Red Partridges", 1913 calling up the brood

2 members like this
by lagopus
lagopus
Parabola, the birds in this case were red grouse. Difficult to describe the sound but it was a series of faint cheeps and churs. I would doubt if it has ever been recorded anywhere. To be right in the middle of the pack as it landed was possibly an unique experience. Lagopus.....
2 members like this
by Daryl Hallquist
Daryl Hallquist
The weather turned bad again, and the partridge have returned. Now, they are pairing up for the nesting season. Note the little fellow diving into the snow in search for food or cover.

2 members like this
by LeFusil
LeFusil
That’s a healthy covey of huns! They’ll be fine I think. Is there sage, grass or shrubs nearby? Kind of odd they’re just out in the open like that unless they were sunning.
1 member likes this
by lagopus
lagopus
Great photo. They sometimes do this at night with heads in all directions for security as well as warmth. The behaviour is called 'Jugging'. Lagopus.....
1 member likes this
by Daryl Hallquist
Daryl Hallquist
Lagopus, I'll look forward to any information you can provide.
Parabola, my wife, who actually took the above picture, liked your "jugging" idea. So do I.
1 member likes this
by Daryl Hallquist
Daryl Hallquist
For those interested, today there was the group of 20, but also a group of 17 at the sliding glass door in the basement. Such fun. We last had Huns around maybe 20 years ago when the surrounding fields were in wheat. The group of 17 has burrowed into the snow, almost like they are dead, but one fellow is there with his head up.
1 member likes this
by Hal
Hal
We go to -23F tomorrow AM, and recent bit of snow covers everything. So bad for the phez and partridge. Had 8 sharptails in soybean stubble near the house yesterday, but there is nothing visible above the snow. I don't worry about them as much as the introduced species as they have emergency foods like buckbrush and silverberry fruit common in native pastures.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.