March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (lagopus, Marc Ret, Argo44, 3 invisible), 290 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,001
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Birdog, eeb, mc, Parabola, Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by BarkeyVA
BarkeyVA
I have a 20 ga. V. Bernardelli Italia SxS hammer gun made in 1969. I shot sever boxes of shells through it last June, and it worked flawlessly. I tried shooting skeet with it in October, and halfway through the firs t round, the left barrel failed to fire on several shots in a row. By the end of the first round the right barrel also failed to fire about every third shot using Remington Gun Club shells.

I would appreciate recommendations for a gunsmith who has experience repairing this type of shotgun. I live in Southeast Virginia.
Liked Replies
by keith
keith
I'd say that it is too early to jump the proverbial gun, and send it to a gunsmith.

You haven't given us much information. If this happened with a gun that I owned, I'd first be looking carefully at the indentations on the primers. It takes a solid and consistent hit on the center of the primer to have the shell fire reliably. I would also observe whether the hammers move freely during cocking and firing, and whether the cocking force (or mainspring tension) felt normal and equal for both locks.

Then, considering that the problem started with one barrel, and soon began to misfire with the second barrel, I'd start to suspect a possible problem with your ammunition. It will be a whole lot cheaper and easier for you to figure this out by trying the gun with another brand or lot of ammo, rather than immediately concluding that the firing mechanism in both locks suddenly quit working correctly. Locks sometimes fail. Rarely do they both fail in the same round of skeet, unless the ammo is bad, or something like congealed lube in the locks has reduced the force of the hammers striking the firing pins.
2 members like this
by skeettx
skeettx
Insure the firing pin retainers are screwed in tightly
1 member likes this
by mc
mc
Have you tightened the lock screws? Or the hand or action screw? Take a look at the fireing pins .i would try another brand of ammo first it shouldn't be hard to figure it out.
1 member likes this
by BarkeyVA
BarkeyVA
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
The ammo you were using wouldn't happen to be B & P Comp Ones, would it?

Remington Gun Club shells.
1 member likes this
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Glad you were able to reach Pfrommer. Would you please do a follow up after the issue is sorted out and let us know what he found? It is most interesting to me in regards to it being a hammer gun, and having light hits. I have experienced a similar problem in the past with CompOne shells and determined the rim on them causes them to sit deeper in the rim cut of my doubles. I have a very high incidence of misfires with them in these guns ........ Perazzi MX8, Browning B-SS, AH Fox BE, LC Smith 3E, AH Fox HE ........heck, basically every one of my 12 gauge hammerless doubles I tried them in. Then, I had the idea to try them in hammerguns, thinking that they might have a bit more firing pin protrusion. Evidently they did because the shells work perfectly in my San Georgio hammergun made by Bernardelli in 1973, in my Remington 1889, and in my Iver Johnson Special Trap (external hammer). So, you can see why I find it interesting that the Bernardelli of yours is experiencing a problem like this, and am keenly curious as to what the issue is.

OBTW, I had determined it by careful measurements, but further proof came my way that the CompOnes were sitting deeper in the chambers of my guns when I was given a tip on here, by private messaging, to buy a package of the tiny rubber bands that women use for their hair and slip one over the head of a shell, under the rim, and try it. Worked perfectly, 100%. These rubber bands are very tiny when stretched over a 12 ga. shell head, but cause the shell to sit a few thousandths higher in the chamber and ignition is 100% with them. Doubt I'll be buying any more of the CompOnes because I can reload to the same pressures without the head spacing issues, but the little rubber bands will let me use them up in other guns besides the hammerguns.
1 member likes this
by Parabola
Parabola
Being frugal, can you re-use the little rubber bands?
1 member likes this
by keith
keith
Originally Posted by Parabola
Being frugal, can you re-use the little rubber bands?

Gun guys don't refer to stuff like that as being frugal. It's called "reloading".
1 member likes this
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Haven't even considered trying to save them, though I believe you probably could. They cost something like $1.00 for a bag of about 400 at the Dollar General, as best I remember. They were in the ladies' hair stuff section.
1 member likes this
by KY Jon
KY Jon
Stan, "using Remington Gun Club shells." I know you have had problems with B&P ammo. Completely agree to switch shells first. A problem moving from one side to another is unusual and most likely has only one cause as Keith says. Bad factory ammo is much more common than ever and promo ammo seems to be the worst. Right now they can sell anything that goes into a box, and it seems that quality control is lacking. I have seen some re-loaders seat a primer so deeply that it could cause light primer strikes. Again a ammo issue not a gun issue so much. It might have a issue with a little dried oil on the firing pins having gummed up things with a little crud. Good cleaning should cure that.

From a mechanical perspective, for a problem to go from one side to both side you need something in common for both to share. Hence the inquiry about loose screws. Do the firing pins protrude when the hammers are dropped? Do both move back and forwards like they are not gummed up? Start with a thorough examination, good cleaning, change of ammo and retest it to see if the problems still occurs. Nothing is more frustrating than an intermittent problem but your sounds like it is a persistent problem which should be easier to find. When ever I have a failure to fire, I go down the same checklist. Ammo, loading properly, action clean, action operation properly, close inspection of mechanics. Change only one thing at a time to see what the problem is. Ammo first because it is expendable and easiest. Are the primers seated flat to the base of the shells and are the primer strikes light? Sometimes a light strike can be confirmed by just trying the shell in the other barrel and have it work. Then go back and figure out why the first light primer strike like crud in the action. Try the ten dollar cure with new ammo and go from there after a good cleaning. Hammerguns are too much fun not to use.
1 member likes this
by KY Jon
KY Jon
Stan you are too tired from looking for $3.00 diesel and reasonable fertilizer for the Spring. All is good on my end, except prices are out of sight.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.