April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (GETTEMANS), 391 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,800
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
67galaxie, BrentD, Prof, David Williamson, eeb, mc, Parabola, Run With The Fox, Stanton Hillis, SXS 40
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by PALUNC
PALUNC
Liked Replies
by damascus
damascus
Well as an old timer I did enjoy the video up until the point when they used playing cards for peg position selection. Playing cards on the sporting field would be enough to get you cashiered in days gone by. Just thought I would photograph my 100 plus year old set that was made and in regular use at a large Norfolk estate all neatly contained in a 8 bore cartridge case. I am only lucky enough to own them because I was given them by a good friend ex Game keeper and poacher who is now keeping the foxes down on Gods estate. Just between ourselves he was the one who made a good poacher out of me in my younger days.
All the number tokens are made of brass and once where silver plated (I may re instate the plating sometime in the future) You can tell it is an estate peg selector by the the odd token. Just to add a bit of interest does any body have an Idea what part of the year the "X" was used for and why?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I did forgot to say that one gun I am sure was using Pyrodex rather than Black Powder.
4 members like this
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by damascus
Eeb I think many people could come up with an answer to your question. Lets set the scene driven shooting was the sport of the Aristocracy and the very rich and those people had many strange rules of what not to do and how to act. So I will start with a pack of playing cards to some people a pack of cards are known as the Devils Bible bringers of bad luck, bringing a pack of cards into a room can mean luck goes out of the window. Like putting shoes on a table was not a good thing to do bringing bad luck and death. The worst of these upper class idiosyncrasies was regarding Lord Cardigan famous for the charge of the Light Brigade at Crimea, and also for "THE Black Bottle" incident, for reasons he was brought up with you should not have a black bottle on a dinner table this act by someone caused a very large out of proportion incident. And finally shooting with black powder is called by some "as chasing the Devils coat tails" that is the way things are and the world would be a far duller place without this type of thing. These are just a few that come to mind though there are many more.

Interesting take on a simple deck of playing cards. Nothing inherently evil about them, just as there's nothing evil about a gun ............ how an object is used often determines it's worth. Each time I hear of those who disparage a deck of playing cards I remember this song, which I first heard listening to the radio, probably the Grand Ole Opry, as a child.

3 members like this
by Argo44
Argo44
Gentleman is using a "Stan-Rod."

2 members like this
by Geo. Newbern
Geo. Newbern
I once bought some modern made black powder shells from Union Metallic Cartridge. I killed a gobbler with one in an old hammer Elsie and shot a few more on dove shoots. On the first dove shoot my brother ran across the field to make sure the smoke didn't mean my gun had blown up...Geo
2 members like this
by Hal
Hal
Never used a tube on a duck pass or in a boat where I used a homemade 'floater' rather than risk losing the original ramrod. My big problem with percussion muzzleloaders was learning how to reload while standing in water.
2 members like this
by damascus
damascus
Eeb I think many people could come up with an answer to your question. Lets set the scene driven shooting was the sport of the Aristocracy and the very rich and those people had many strange rules of what not to do and how to act. So I will start with a pack of playing cards to some people a pack of cards are known as the Devils Bible bringers of bad luck, bringing a pack of cards into a room can mean luck goes out of the window. Like putting shoes on a table was not a good thing to do bringing bad luck and death. The worst of these upper class idiosyncrasies was regarding Lord Cardigan famous for the charge of the Light Brigade at Crimea, and also for "THE Black Bottle" incident, for reasons he was brought up with you should not have a black bottle on a dinner table this act by someone caused a very large out of proportion incident. And finally shooting with black powder is called by some "as chasing the Devils coat tails" that is the way things are and the world would be a far duller place without this type of thing. These are just a few that come to mind though there are many more.
2 members like this
by Utah Shotgunner
Utah Shotgunner
It has been a few years, but I have shot ducks, pheasants and Sporting Clays with black powder.

Most fun is shooting trap, under the lights on a very calm night..... wink
1 member likes this
by Argo44
Argo44
Yes it does except his ramrod has a brass door knob. Picture of his rod (and mine which I copied from his suggestion) and the ground tube pictured on this line.

https://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=559872&page=1

Stanton's door knob ramrod and the ground tube to hold it (he passed the recommendations to me when I was having some ramrod problems).
1 member likes this
by 67galaxie
67galaxie
I really want to do it on the dove field
1 member likes this
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
I had some guests over for a dove shoot on the home place once, many years ago. I had previously loaded up some b.p. in Federal paper 12 ga. hulls, a full box. One of the guests had not brought any shells and asked to borrow some. I inadvertently handed him the box of the b.p. loaded ones. He was shooting an A5. They functioned pretty well, as I recall, maybe beginning to jam towards the last few in the box. The guy's Dad and I were longtime b.p. shooters, and laughed so hard, because his son never even noticed all the smoke from the shells! The old Browming had to have a thorough cleaning that evening.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.