April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Marks_21, fab500, Ken Nelson, Birdog, WBLDon), 1,169 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,133
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
battle, campero, doublenut, DoubleTake, Geo. Newbern, Hammergun, Imperdix, John Roberts, mc, Parabola, Run With The Fox, Stanton Hillis, Ted Schefelbein, Tim Cartmell
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Tim Cartmell
Tim Cartmell
I see that Ugartechea has a new website. I wonder if someone has since bought the company and is planning to start it up again? Looks like the same listing of shotguns as before.

Ugartechea Armas
Liked Replies
by Tim Cartmell
Tim Cartmell
I just came across a recent discussion on another board, re: Ugartechea starting up again, wherein one of the posters had contacted the company and it seems they are back with a US importer out of Dallas. If that is true, it will be interesting to find out what their quality and new prices will be. The previous quality and price made their shotguns attractive and attainable for the average Joe. A lot changes in five years though. If it's anything like AyA, their base model 4/53 boxlock is now selling for $8,000 in Canada. When I bought mine 10 years ago, it cost $4,000 new. At that time I had talked with the Ugartechea dealer and he told me the mid grade shotgun market for him was between $2,000 - $5,000 new, anything under $2,000 he said the market was already too saturated, anything over $5,000 took a very long time to sell. It's likely going to be an even tougher market now.
5 members like this
by Imperdix
Imperdix
$5k for a boxlock non ejector....surely that`s dead in the water in today`s market ???
4 members like this
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by Parabola
Sounds like good news.

They were a sound brand. I have a little 20-bore BLNE and a little used 12 bore BLE that I didn’t really need but could not resist snapping up at auction when it was going ridiculously cheap.

Ditto.
Perhaps a decade ago, in my case, and the guns are lingering at about the same money today that they were then. The English gun computer sites are awash in Spanish, non ejector boxlocks for less than £100. The stock could be fitted better on my copy, the bluing is ho-hum, but, it has nice case colors, amateur engraving that doesn’t make me want to puke, serviceable disc set strikers, weighs under 6 1/2 lbs, passed Spanish proof at 3”, and it goes bang when I pull the triggers. I didn’t feel bad opening the chokes and I won’t feel bad feeding it steel if they make me. A guy could do worse on a rainy day gun.

Mr. Robert’s dim viewpoint reflects a sad reality, I’m afraid. There is little market for a boxlock at $4K, anywhere.

Best,
Ted
4 members like this
by Parabola
Parabola
I’d be happy if someone offered me $2.5K for my almost as new Parker Hale Ugartecha 12 bore BLE with chopper lump barrels 🤩🤩🤩

Hammer price at Southams about a year ago was £12.
3 members like this
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by eeb
A nice Merkel M8 in 12, 16 or 20 will cost you less than $1,500.

But then you'd have to look at the cheek piece, sling swivels, and the Jurassic chickens engraved on the thing….

Best,
Ted
3 members like this
by Tim Cartmell
Tim Cartmell
About a month ago I confirmed with the Canadian Distributor that Ugartechea is indeed back in production for 2023. He stated that they will be bringing in new Ugartechea stock this spring. I believe Campero had previously made mention that the company is now held by American interests?
2 members like this
by campero
campero
Así es, compañeros. Todo parece indicar que Ugartechea seguirá fabricando armas. Después de que los sucesores del señor armero Ignacio Ugartechea (que falleció en 2019) anunciaran el cierre de la fábrica y la venta de todo (escopetas completas y 'en blanco', piezas, herramientas, etc.), parece que apareció un comprador que ha vuelto a poner en marcha la fábrica.

Sé todo esto porque estuve en contacto con una de las hijas, Marta, que confirmó el cierre de esta histórica casa armera y de hecho facilité un contacto a compañeros de este foro para adquirir material. También escribí este artículo, con declaraciones de Marta, sobre una escopeta especial que fue del maestro Ugartechea y que sus hijas pusieron en venta.

https://cazaworld.com/la-famosa-escopeta-superpuesta-de-ignacio-ugartechea-en-venta/

Después de todo esto, con la consiguiente tristeza entre los aficionados a las armas que valoramos la historia de esta marca, hemos descubierto que la actividad de Ugartechea ha renacido con un notable cambio. Se nota en las publicaciones de redes sociales que la línea propietaria no es nacional. De hecho, un conocido armero español me confirmó que un americano había comprado la fábrica y derechos de producción.

Imagino que el mercado se habrá enfocado hacia países de fuera de España. Toda la suerte para este nuevo proyecto que ya está en marcha. ¡Seguiremos atentos!
2 members like this
by Parabola
Parabola
That's right, comrades. Everything seems to indicate that Ugartechea will continue manufacturing weapons. After the successors of the gunsmith Ignacio Ugartechea (who passed away in 2019) announced the closure of the factory and the sale of everything (complete and 'blank' shotguns, parts, tools, etc.), it seems that a buyer appeared who has restarted the factory.

I know all this because I was in contact with one of the daughters, Marta, who confirmed the closure of this historic gun shop and in fact I facilitated a contact with colleagues in this forum to acquire material. I also wrote this article, with statements by Marta, about a special shotgun that belonged to the teacher Ugartechea and that his daughters put up for sale.

https://cazaworld.com/la-famosa-escopeta-superpuesta-de-ignacio-ugartechea-en-venta/

After all this, with the consequent sadness among weapons fans who value the history of this brand, we have discovered that Ugartechea's activity has been reborn with a remarkable change. It is noted in social media posts that the proprietary line is not national. In fact, a well-known Spanish gunsmith confirmed to me that an American had bought the factory and production rights.

I imagine that the market will have focused on countries outside of Spain. All the luck for this new project that is already underway. We will remain vigilant

CAMPERO’S POST ABOVE via Google Translate
2 members like this
by Parabola
Parabola
Sounds like good news.

They were a sound brand. I have a little 20-bore BLNE and a little used 12 bore BLE that I didn’t really need but could not resist snapping up at auction when it was going ridiculously cheap.
2 members like this
by arrieta2
arrieta2
Can not understand why a 26”. Everybody knows the 28” is more in demand. When I was stocking Arrieta, Aya, Fair, my inventory almost exclusively 28” and above. The people at New England Custom guns are smart folks so can not understand this school of thought.

John Boyd
Quality Arms
2 members like this
by John Roberts
John Roberts
That clone of the Aspen Outfitters gun is way overpriced at $5K. Plain wood and unremarkable otherwise, it would be borderline at $3500. They'll learn...
JR
2 members like this
by arrieta2
arrieta2
When myself and Jack Jansma of wingshooting adventures began bringing in the Aya 453 we retailed them at $1995. Man have things changed.

I am not sure about the price point of the Ugartechea at what they are asking. I think New England custom guns will be a tough road to go down. Also the 26” sell slower

I feel the Fair guns are much more interesting price point and they next step above that I would consider the B Rizzini guns

John Boyd
Quality Arms
2 members like this
by keith
keith
About 10 years ago, I bought my only Spanish double, an Aspen Outfitting Co. Ugartechea Falcon 3 inch 12 ga. I knew nothing about it at the time, except that it just seemed way too cheap to pass up when I bought it in 95% condition at a gun show for a whole $225.00.

My intent at the time was to probably use it as trading stock for something else, but I'm happy that I kept it. Ted shared what he had learned about his Falcon. As he has said, it is a solid and not unattractive gun that can safely digest ammo I wouldn't think of running through my old vintage doubles. I hit really well with it, but it has mainly been used to eliminate starlings, grackles, and crows around the house.

Most of the Uggie Falcons I've seen have rather plain English walnut, but mine has a modest amount of figure, and decent 22 lpi cut checkering. I have since learned that the Aspen Outfitting guns were built with a bit better wood and finishing than the Dickson or Lion Country guns. The only downsides to me are that it has a beavertail forend, and I still haven't gotten around to removing the 1970's white line spacers at the butt and grip cap. That is on my to do list. I do like the Anson forend release that adds a touch of class.

I can't find close up images of the latest boxlocks that are selling for several thousand bucks. But my 50 year old Falcon seemed to have much better fit and checkering than the later Uggie boxlocks that were being sold roughly 20 years ago.
2 members like this
by Run With The Fox
Run With The Fox
Hola Sr. En Espanol esta bien, para Mio-Tambien en Aleman.. Al igual para Usted, tambien soy un avido hombre de escopets del Mundo hechan, Se de Sarasqueta debido a mi vida lengua estudio del escritor, Dom Ernesto Hemingway. E.H. poseia y usaba escopet as fabricadas por: Winchester, Browning, Beretta, AYA, W.&C. Scott y Merkel. Fue un tiro de paloma en vivo de primer nivel, en anos posteriores dispare en Cuba, en el Tiro de Cazadores cerca de La Habana. Escrito esto con la esperanza de que entiendas mi peor espanol de secundaria (tres anos) con dos anos de estacion en Puerto Rico. Sr. Francisco Morin-aka- El Zorro.
1 member likes this
by Run With The Fox
Run With The Fox
Hola, Mi neuve amigo de Espana- Que Tal. Tambien Yo estoy amantiro de las armas hechas con los manos del mundo, Europa y Los Estados Unidos. Y como usted, tengo algunas arms en calibres:12, 20 y 28. Los escopetas hechan para Winchester & L.C. Smith estan mio "vaya a selectione par dia"-- Pero tengo mucha experienca como asi una cazador en Michigan, Montana y Arkansas en Los Estadoes Unidoes. Saludoes y muy buena serra desde Michigan. Sr. Francisco!!!
1 member likes this
by Tim Cartmell
Tim Cartmell
Ugartechea is back!

I was just over on the New England Custom Gun website and seen that they will be bringing in a new Ugartechea model called the Knock-About in early 2024. It will be based on Ugartechea's entry level Model 40, non ejector, with a scalloped action and case coloring. 26 inch barrels though. Grouse gun? No picture yet. $4995.00 expected price.

New Ugartechea Advert

_____
TC
1 member likes this
by campero
campero
Estimado, Sr. Francisco, ¡claro que también soy un amante de las buenas armas hechas con las manos: inglesas, belgas, americanas, españolas... He tenido bastantes armas y he cazado con los calibres 12, 16, 20, pero hace tiempo descubrí el 28 y es mi preferido. Comencé con el calibre 28 con dos escopetas Ugartechea. Después de haber tenido más en este calibre, mi compañera para cazar es y será siempre una escopeta monotiro inglesa de este calibre con martillo exterior: una delicia. ¡One shot, one chance!

Veo que tiene mucha experiencia con las armas y el tiro, y deseo que todo vaya a mejor. Saludos desde España.

Salud y buena caza para todos.
1 member likes this
by Tim Cartmell
Tim Cartmell
Originally Posted by Parabola
I’d be happy if someone offered me $2.5K for my almost as new Parker Hale Ugartecha 12 bore BLE with chopper lump barrels 🤩🤩🤩

Hammer price at Southams about a year ago was £12.

$2500 is what the Model 40 sold for new back in 2010-2012 when I was looking at them.

I always liked their Maura model which was a step up from Ugartechea’s model 40. The Aspen Outfitting Company claimed it as their proprietary AOC/SG model. However, the Ugartechea Maura apparently existed long before AOC made claim to it.

When I use to regularly frequent the Spanish Shotgunworld site, a Spanish fellow came on once and made a post describing that very boxlock model. He stated that years ago he had visited the Ugartechea workshop in Eibar and asked Ignacio Ugartechea about the Maura model. Mr. Ugartechea explained that he had built it years before specifically for a lady named Mrs. Maura who was a marquise. He said she use to hunt woodcock in the hills around Eibar, but would get tired carrying a heavy 12 gauge sidelock all day long. So Mr. Ugartechea custom built her a 16 gauge boxlock with open chokes and so named the shotgun, Maura.

I handled a Maura boxlock back in 2010. It was a very simple and yet elegant little gun, just felt lively in the hands. I should have bought one when I had the chance. They were strictly a special order gun. I told the distributor I would purchase one if Ugartechea ever made them again. Back in 2010, he told me they were only made on a small production run, specifically a batch of about 25 guns once a year for the Aspen Outfitting Company. I stopped and visited the Aspen Outfitting Company back in 2014. At that time, Jon Hollinger told me that was the last year they would be bringing in Ugartechea shotguns. It was pretty much over by then.

Ugartechea Maura
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

_____
TC
1 member likes this
by BrentD, Prof
BrentD, Prof
Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof
Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by eeb
A nice Merkel M8 in 12, 16 or 20 will cost you less than $1,500.

But then you'd have to look at the cheek piece, sling swivels, and the Jurassic chickens engraved on the thing….

Best,
Ted

Really? I don't have ANY of those things on my Model 8. Perhaps you need to go back to the drawing board with The Fuse.

Maybe you need to slither out and look at a few more guns:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...el-model-8-16-gauge.cfm?gun_id=101547003

Best,
Ted

Maybe you should quit being such a dickhead and stick to things you actually know about - like guns that don't shoot worth a Darne.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
1 member likes this
by DoubleTake
DoubleTake
Dodecagon barrels?
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.