April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Sun Dog, R. Glenz, StevenD, KY Jon, SKB, 1 invisible), 1,011 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,467
Posts545,119
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
bushveld, DoubleTake, graybeardtmm3, HistoricBore, Imperdix, Karl Graebner, mc, Parabola, Stanton Hillis, Ted Schefelbein
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by DoubleTake
DoubleTake
Are 1950’s era Webley & Scott 700 single triggers reliable?
Liked Replies
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by L. Brown
Re differences between the 400 and 700 . . . Well, for starters, the 400 is a screw grip gun with a rib extension, which the 700 lacks. I don't know how similar their single triggers are. But given that fairly significant design difference, I'd say there's a fair chance that they're not identical.

I believe I read right here that you can see the remnants of a screw grip machining operation on a disassembled 700. The screw grip was not fitted to the 700, but, it wasn’t worth changing tooling and operations from the former guns to build the new model, sans screw grip.

Regardless, as I pointed out, the big difference was Roland Bloomer. Stan had him, to work on his trigger.

I’ll be out there, today, supposed to be 50 degrees, and I’m thinking the Beretta will make the trip. It was my Dad’s hunting spot, and that was his gun. Miss my folks coming for Thanksgiving since they passed, maybe just keeping a tiny little remaining memory alive.

Best,
Ted
3 members like this
by damascus
damascus
Single trigger gun with faulty trigger no gun, double trigger gun with faulty trigger you have single barrel gun, far better than nothing when out hunting. Single trigger Webley & Scott 700 I have never seen on this side of the pond though they may have made some for export to your side of the pond.
3 members like this
by Brittany Man
Brittany Man
Originally Posted by ed good
gee ted, no mention of silicone nor cutting corners in article...pls confirm that is correct link...

It is common knowledge for anyone who is alive & can read or cares to research the subject before jumping in that silicones will cause finishing problems on most all substrates & with most all finishes.

Ed I really get tired of your posts & I don't understand why you are still here. You bring absolutely nothing to this forum & if you intend your posts to be humorous you are way off the mark!
3 members like this
by bbman3
bbman3
I have short fingers and when i was younger i could shoot double trigger guns well, but now at 81 fingers are not working so well and sst triggers are better for me. Bobby
2 members like this
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by bbman3
I have short fingers and when i was younger i could shoot double trigger guns well, but now at 81 fingers are not working so well and sst triggers are better for me. Bobby

Bobby, if you are out there at age 81, you should use whatever works best for you. That, is an accomplishment.

Best.
Ted
2 members like this
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
I've thunk and thunk and can't come up with a reason why it's second nature for me to go from double triggers to a single one, without any problems, and vice versa. I can also shoot the rear trigger first, then go to the front without any conscious thought. I began with double triggers at age 8, went to a single at 12, and didn't shoot double triggers for some 30 years or so.

Maybe the less intelligent one is, the easier it is to swap around without any thought. I would certainly qualify in that regard.
2 members like this
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
Only because I believe you can’t find out for yourself:

https://support.jamestowndistributo...fisheyes-effects-in-paints-or-varnishes-

Take note where they tell you not to cut corners, and, prevention is most important. Cutting corners usually leads to worse problems, ed.

Best,
Ted
2 members like this
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
I've thunk and thunk and can't come up with a reason why it's second nature for me to go from double triggers to a single one, without any problems, and vice versa. I can also shoot the rear trigger first, then go to the front without any conscious thought. I began with double triggers at age 8, went to a single at 12, and didn't shoot double triggers for some 30 years or so.

Maybe the less intelligent one is, the easier it is to swap around without without any thought. I would certainly qualify in that regard.

Situational awareness. It is slowly destroyed in Ruffed Grouse hunters as they age.

Best,
Ted
2 members like this
by mc
mc
IDIOT
2 members like this
by Geo. Newbern
Geo. Newbern
Originally Posted by Brittany Man
Originally Posted by ed good
gee ted, no mention of silicone nor cutting corners in article...pls confirm that is correct link...

It is common knowledge for anyone who is alive & can read or cares to research the subject before jumping in that silicones will cause finishing problems on most all substrates & with most all finishes.

Ed I really get tired of your posts & I don't understand why you are still here. You bring absolutely nothing to this forum & if you intend your posts to be humorous you are way off the mark!

BM, Ed is here because even when he wasn't those familiar with his sales practices criticized him on this forum. He probably believes that by being a member here with lots of posts, his position as an internet gun peddler is given a certain gravitas to offset the criticism.

I'd suggest that Dave add an entry to the left of every member's post disclosing the number of "ignores" at the time of any new post...Geo
2 members like this
by Konor3inch
Konor3inch
Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Percy Stanbury had a 700 with a single trigger, but, he also had Roland Bloomer to tune it.

I haven’t found a selective single trigger that was something I warned to own. English, or, otherwise. Non selective single triggers seem to have been less problematic in my orbit. But, less useful, in theory.

Good luck.

Best,
Ted

Percy Stanbury’s gun was made in the 1920s long before the first 700 came out in 1949. It was most likely a 400 series shotgun.
1 member likes this
by Karl Graebner
Karl Graebner
Ted,
I totally agree, after acquiring a number of double triggered guns, I've never gone back and wonder why a single trigger would be someone's first choice. I can understand the cold weather/heavy glove scenario, but for all other occasions not. The double trigger setup seems so intuitive to me.
Karl
1 member likes this
by DoubleTake
DoubleTake
Yes, it’s about cold weather hunting. Hunted a nasty day in Iowa last week and there was simply no way my hands could endure it with gloves suitable for double triggers. I have two Brit and two Italian doubles, all with double triggers. Not a biggy, I’ll be like Ted and stick with my 686 Onyx when it’s cold and windy.
1 member likes this
by Gankai
Gankai
My British friends teach to shoot the rear trigger first to avoid a double, especially with a 40 or 50 caliber double rifle. I find that recoil puts your hand and trigger finger going away from the front trigger. You then have less time setting up for the second shot getting your trigger finger and or wrist/grip resettled causes me to rush the shot. With a sensibly weighted 12 gauge, or a one ounce load with a lighter shotgun or smaller gauge shotgun, if you shoot the front trigger first, recoil automatically puts the rear trigger at your finger tips with no grip readjustment. Switching back to single triggers is not an issue then. When I pick up a 40 caliber rifle with double triggers I do go for the rear trigger first. I saw a double once and that was enough!

Rick
1 member likes this
by HistoricBore
HistoricBore
I suspect the Percy Stanbury gun was a Model 600 Special (with ejectors) just like my one, which was sold in December 1946 but probably started life before 1939. It has 30 inch barrels and a semi-pistol grip, but two triggers.
I have cleaned it and put it away after shooting 3 duck (with steel) and eight pheasant (one ounce of lead) on our local driven shoot. They still work...

My friends Greener played up so I let him use the Webley - three birds for four shots.

HB
1 member likes this
by HistoricBore
HistoricBore
I am sure that you will find that the Webley 700 derived from the pre-war Model 600, which has no screw grip or drop points. My late 1930s catalogue shows the Grade III Model 400 with ejectors selling at £24-0-0 and the Model 600 ejector at £16-0-0. Times were hard after the Depression...

Here in the UK (can't say GB now...) there are a few steel loads for the 2.5" cartridges at standard pressures. I have fired a few of these through the right barrel (3/8 choke) of my 600 with good results, but use Bismuth in the left full choke barrel.

The Superior proof loads at present are only in 2.75" are are unpleasant to fire.

HB
1 member likes this
by Sandlapper
Sandlapper
Don’t know if it applies to postwar ST, but I have a W.&C. Scott that was the last Premier built with SST, and it is the Lard patent trigger design as used by Westley Richards with the sliding selector beside the trigger. The gun was built in 1924, and the trigger has operated perfectly in the 30+ years I have owned it.I seem to remember that Scott and W&S used several different designs before settling on the WR design.I do know that you rarely find a prewar W&S or Scott gun with a factory SST. Sandlapper
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.