March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Hammergun, welder, canvasback, Lloyd3, SKB, Owenjj3), 795 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Thread Like Summary
BrentD, Prof, canvasback, CJF, Dan S. W., eeb, HistoricBore, Imperdix, mc, Parabola, Stanton Hillis, Tim Cartmell
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#622448 11/22/2022 2:59 PM
by KY Jon
KY Jon
Watching, bidding and not winning on my desired lots is both frustrating and saving me a lot of money. Every lot I have tracked or bid on seems to be going for 150+% of estimate. Either estimates are uniformly low, to generate bidding interest, or there is a lot of free money chasing the same things I’m after, or I have extremely good taste in guns. Wish I had that luck with lottery numbers. I did win several lots in accessories and gun related stuff. But if I like 600-800 gun it sells for 2600. It figures when the pound is weak my bidding outcomes is weaker. Anyone else seeing good prices for the seller but no great values for the buyer?
Liked Replies
#622479 Nov 23rd a 03:21 AM
by Argo44
Argo44
This was the one I was interested in. The Hi-Standard in .22 format was bought by the US military in 1941 to use to train troops on pistol warfare. In 1942 OSS was organized and bought 3,000 of them in silenced form. CIA later bought another 3,000 when it was organized in 1947. I carried one of these in Vietnam in 1968 over into Laos. I don't know whether it was OSS or CIA, probably the former. There were several at a base I often went to in Afghanistan.

Holt's did not actually claim this Hi-Standard was one of the OSS or CIA guns but they sure left the impression it might have been.
https://auctions.holtsauctioneers.c...++1052+&refno=++177904&saletype=
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Unfortunately, it is not. (had it been, of course the price would have skyrocketed.) Here is an article I wrote for the Special Forces Association on the pistol.
https://specialforces78.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/0817-Sentinel-News.pdf

edit...and there is something odd about the angle of that magazine. No advertisement anywhere shows that.

Read ads carefully and Cavaet Emptor.
2 members like this
#622484 Nov 23rd a 12:55 PM
by eeb
eeb
That Hi-Standard looks like something Mrs Peel would tuck in her garter belt
2 members like this
#622493 Nov 23rd a 03:31 PM
by lagopus
lagopus
eeb, the hammer gun was certainly given to me at no charge. It came via my Brother-in-Law who went to the shop and was offered it for nothing but thought of me and I gladly received it. To add to that I was looking for a Russian Baikal shotgun with which to do some steel shot testing, on the basis that it is nigh on impossible to do any damage to a Baikal, so I contacted a Gun Dealer who I know quite well and the reply was 'I've two; which one do you want?' He didn't want anything for that either. It is a 12 bore O/U in used but good condition. The situation with plain, no frills, English side by side box lock non-ejectors is that nobody here seems to want them. Guns that when we were youngsters we thought it really something to own are now going for a song. Lagopus.....
2 members like this
#622935 Dec 2nd a 05:36 AM
by KY Jon
KY Jon
Glad you had a bit of luck. Missed out on two O/U project guns. Both a bit of a basket cases for different reasons. So I might be better off. I did just put in a low bid on them knowing that they were going to take a lot of work or worse time to get right. Had they been a bit longer barrels I might have been much willing to bid higher. Short barrels just do not draw my attention these days. Missed also on two nice hammer guns as well. They went for several hundred more than I expected. Decent guns both and I hope they get a bit of use by their new owners. So I saved thousand on the last two auctions by winning zero things. At this rate I'll be rich someday.
2 members like this
#622466 Nov 22nd a 08:30 PM
by battle
battle
Originally Posted by Parabola
Looking at the 31 12 bore Box locks in their main sale, they all sold although some at bottom estimate so Simon and Johnny’s video seems to have been effective.
That includes a couple of 2” chamber guns which you would think would be difficult to move in the present market. One of those was a Greener DH33 that went for almost double its top estimate.
As expected the British .410 boxlocks all went very well despite light weights and 2 1/2” chambers.

Yes I drove up the Greener to 1500 and gave up.
1 member likes this
#622481 Nov 23rd a 08:57 AM
by Parabola
Parabola
Good article Gene.

As a school boy in the late 50’s we had a school organised visit to a local gun collector (those were the days).

He demonstrated a silenced .22 auto pistol in his small back yard by emptying a magazine skywards. He seems to have assumed that this was safe in the middle of a town of 70,000 people.

From my visual memory I am fairly certain it was a Hi-Standard.

The example at Holts is a Model B, and the marking “Property of United States” shows it was supplied to the UK under Lend-Lease possibly before Pearl Harbour.

I have recently seen a very well engineered Parker-Hale adapter made to clamp on to the barrel and foresight of a Colt Woodsman to provide a threaded muzzle adaptor for their sound moderator. I was told that the adapters were produced at the request of Special Operations Executive.
1 member likes this
#622603 Nov 25th a 04:31 PM
by lagopus
lagopus
CJF, it might pay to make a trip to the U.K., while exchange rates are in your favor, and have a couple of weeks touring the Provincial gun shops and getting a Dealer to consign a bulk shipment. I would think you would do quite well at the moment. Lagopus.....
1 member likes this
#622941 Dec 2nd a 10:56 AM
by Parabola
Parabola
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

My bid just over reserve matched the hammer price. Waiting for arrival or non-arrival of invoice to see if I have won or should have gone £1 more!

It is (I hope) a Telescope, Scout Regimental, as issued with the No.4 (T) rifle to Sniper Scouts.
1 member likes this
#622454 Nov 22nd a 04:51 PM
by lagopus
lagopus
I've just had a look and see what you mean! Some of the prices obtained are well above what I would have expected. The Gun Trade has been depressed of late; maybe it's on the up again. With the advent of the demise of lead shot here in a couple of year's time I would not have expected things to look so good for selling prices.

I was recently given a cased Thomas Bland hammer gun; Damascus barrels with non-rebounding back-locks but re-proofed in 1991 for 70mm. Nitro as the gun shop owner said nobody wanted it and he couldn't sell it! I could find no fault with it. I have told him that if he gets any more similar guns then let me know and I'm happy to offer a price that we both feel comfortable with. Lagopus.....
1 member likes this
#624641 Jan 5th a 02:14 PM
by eightbore
eightbore
I was thinking groundhogs or the neighbor lady.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.