April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (LRF, rtw, 1 invisible), 1,066 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,468
Posts545,126
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
DoubleTake, Geo. Newbern, mc, Snipe Hunter, Stanton Hillis, Ted Schefelbein
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#621930 11/13/2022 10:35 PM
by Snipe Hunter
Snipe Hunter
How costly is a broken firing pin? Does the job get any easier/less expensive on a gun with disc-set strikers?
Liked Replies
#622022 Nov 15th a 11:29 AM
by John E
John E
Skip,
if your search for a new pin dead-ends, send me the dimensions and I will make you a couple. I have drill rod and the lathe still works.

John
4 members like this
#621983 Nov 14th a 07:32 PM
by keith
keith
Originally Posted by skeettx
I often use Remington 1100 firing pins cut to proper size

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...emington+1100+firing+pin&_sacat=7301

Since the OP hasn't told us what make and model of shotgun this is, it is hard to say if a Remington 1100 firing pin could be modified to fit.

I would advise Snipe Hunter to tell us what make and model of shotgun he has, and to provide a pic of the broken firing pin pieces if possible. I have found original firing pins from sources such as Numrich (Gun Parts Corp.) and other parts dealers. I see various firing pins quite often on Ebay. Gun shows are also often a source for firing pins that are correct, or could be modified to fit. Someone here might even have spare pins from a parts gun. However, having a firing pin custom made will likely be the most expensive option.

But as Stan says, making a firing pin for most doubles is not very difficult for any gunsmith or machinist who can operate a small lathe, and knows how to harden and draw a piece of common oil hardening O-1 drill rod. The first firing pin I ever made broke on the first shot because I drew the temper to light straw color, and the tip end was too brittle. Since then, purple or blue has worked well for me when using 0-1. Some people say that using a grade 8 bolt for material works well, as it is tough enough for most firing pins without subsequent heat treatment, but I have not tried this yet. It would be nice to have both broken pieces to be able to make it the correct length the first time. And it should be noted that the discs will probably not be interchangeable from right to left, so they should be marked upon removal.
3 members like this
#621965 Nov 14th a 12:37 PM
by dblgnfix
dblgnfix
Hi Stanton,
If you send me the pin you need I can make you one or more.
2 members like this
#622004 Nov 15th a 12:05 AM
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
You can dry fire a Darne to your hearts content as well, Stan. The guys at the shop in St. Etienne put them away in the rack after they snapped the triggers.
You should have the barrels in place when you do that. I can’t understand why people would dry fire a double gun without the barrels in place, but, there it is.

It was an English gun, Stan. Other than that little detail, it was well finished and quite nice. I believe the ‘Smith actually shortened the discs up, and reused them, after fitting them correctly.

Best,
Ted
2 members like this
#622007 Nov 15th a 12:25 AM
by bushveld
bushveld
The late British gun maker, Jack Rowe would make firing pins on his lathe from O-1 drill rod and not further heat treat them. I have found that his method works very well and can recommend it to you. He also offered the expertise advice of not having the firing pin protrusion any longer than 1mm (.0393701") for Spanish guns to prevent firing ping drag on opening the action/barrels.
2 members like this
#622035 Nov 15th a 03:46 PM
by builder
builder
I have made one using O-1 drill rod from advice I received here. Cut a bit off and chucked it into a drill. Place the drill in a vice horizontally. Used a couple of files and a caliper to keep tabs on my progress. Took little time. Not much more than half an hour. Only caveat is it heated up a bit and I measured as I went. When it cooled it had a bit smaller diameter. Still worked fine in the gun. I would suggest a wet rag to cool it before taking measurements as you go.

I had a 28g. gun I had trouble shooting due to a pretty large front bead. Dewey helped me with it at his house since it fit me but I could not shoot it well. He took the large front bead off, we went into the basement and he chucked it into a drill set vertically in his vice. He then proceeded to reshape it using files and sandpaper. Took a few minutes, reinstalled and problem solved.
2 members like this
#622001 Nov 14th a 11:49 PM
by Snipe Hunter
Snipe Hunter
Thank you all for the advice and information. I really appreciate it.
1 member likes this
#622031 Nov 15th a 02:18 PM
by mc
mc
I have use grade 8 bolts and m2 ,the bolts can be found in a lot of diameters at the local hardware store ,you could make that with a drill press and files
1 member likes this
#622023 Nov 15th a 12:24 PM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
That's one of the things I like about this board .......... how generous and helpful so many are.
1 member likes this
#621997 Nov 14th a 11:30 PM
by Der Ami
Der Ami
It looks like a MIG weld extension and re-dressing job to me.
Mike
1 member likes this
#621966 Nov 14th a 01:27 PM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Very generous of you, but it is Skip (Snipe Hunter) that needs it. Maybe he will see this and contact you.
1 member likes this
#621955 Nov 14th a 05:08 AM
by skeettx
skeettx
I often use Remington 1100 firing pins cut to proper size

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...emington+1100+firing+pin&_sacat=7301
1 member likes this
#621951 Nov 14th a 02:46 AM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Find a production machine shop, or a gunsmith, that understands the requirements in quality of steel that a firing pin requires, and have one made to duplicate your other barrel's one. Dimensions are very important, but no big issue for a good machinist.

Re-install it and go kill snipe. You got the discs and the strikers out, you can do this.
1 member likes this
#621933 Nov 13th a 11:11 PM
by mc
mc
It depends if the disc comes out with out a struggle
1 member likes this
#621932 Nov 13th a 11:06 PM
by FlyChamps
FlyChamps
It's generally less expensive on disk set strikers because the firing pin is a separate piece from the hammer.

Funny this comes up now because the left firing pin on my wife's Grulla SLE broke Saturday and I'm taking it to our gunsmith tomorrow - he'll try to locate a pin but will most likely have to make one. I have no idea on cost but that's not relevant since it's my wife's favorite gun and my first flight instructor's saying of "if mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy" applies. Whatever it costs we'll make mamma happy.
1 member likes this
#621998 Nov 14th a 11:33 PM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
I never understood the problems people claimed they had getting the discs out, until a friend showed me a picture of an English gun with disc set strikers, that were poorly engineered- the damn hammers came to a rest on the protruding edge of the disc at the shot, and had thoroughly peened the edge of the disc into the back of the face! Yea, those would be tough to remove.

Surely not, not an ENGLISH gun poorly engineered! You must be mistaken, Ted. crazy

On the flip side (of the pond), AH Fox guns were advertised as being able to be dry fired as much as desired, with no damage to the striker, or any other part of the gun.
1 member likes this
#621996 Nov 14th a 11:18 PM
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
That doesn’t look difficult at all.

That said, Cole Haugh likely has pins that fit sitting on a shelf at his house. Google him. He imported Uggies for a time, and was the go-to service guy on Spaniards for a long time.

Those seem like perfectly reasonable reasons(shooting it well, low dollar outlay) to get a gun back up and running, to me. I own an Uggy that Cole has been through, it is truly not a fine gun, but nobody could say it isn’t a serviceable gun. I had him supply extra strikers and the tool to remove the discs when it was serviced. A good rainy day gun, for sure. A spare set would be a good idea for your gun.

I never understood the problems people claimed they had getting the discs out, until a friend showed me a picture of an English gun with disc set strikers, that were poorly engineered- the damn hammers came to a rest on the protruding edge of the disc at the shot, and had thoroughly peened the edge of the disc into the back of the face! Yea, those would be tough to remove.

At any rate, good luck.

Best,
Ted
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.