March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (Bob Jurewicz, lagopus, Jtplumb, SKB, craigd), 871 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,017
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
67galaxie, Geo. Newbern, HomelessjOe, mc, Parabola, Run With The Fox, Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#620818 10/16/2022 10:32 PM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Anyone on our illustrious forum ever hunted Chachalaca?
Liked Replies
#620984 Oct 21st a 05:06 PM
by GLS
GLS
Stan, my memory about the bird is iron clad. However, iron rusts in the coastal salt air. I find no reference to St. Catherine's Island having the bird. However, I found references for Blackbeard and Sapelo. Sapelo has 400 acres of private holdings with the rest being owned by the State. Blackbeard is Federal. Blackbeard and Sapelo are separated by a tidal creek, Blackbeard Creek. One wing pump or glide clears the creek. From Blackbeard to St. Catherine's is about 2 miles across Sapelo Sound. More useless info: Blackbeard Island was owned by the infant US Govt. for the harvesting of Live Oaks for shipbuilding sailing vessels. Nearby St. Simon's Island supplied the ribs and stem for Old Ironsides (USS Constitution) one of the 6 frigates (all had Ga. live oak) that fought the Royal Navy during the War of 1812. As a former member of the navy, you might find Ian Toll's Six Frigates interesting. It's the story of the formation of the US Navy and the infighting it took to build the navy's first purpose made ships, the six frigates. Gil
3 members like this
#620985 Oct 21st a 05:20 PM
by Geo. Newbern
Geo. Newbern
There were Chachalaca stocked on Jekyll at one time, but no one has seen one lately. I understand they are inedible and they look like big mockingbirds to me. How'ed they get on the gamebird list. I understand you can bait'em with orange slices???...Geo
2 members like this
#621332 Oct 29th a 02:34 PM
by mel5141
mel5141
The Chachalaca country (habitat) is primarily in the Lower Rio Grande Valley, few hours South and easterly from the country in the Jones, old men movie, which was staged in the "Big Bend" country of far West Texas.
Two pretty diverse regions..... The Lower "Valley", running south east from Maverick County to the Gulf is a different vegetation, commonly called the Brasada, (brush country) is the dense scrub described elsewhere in this post.
Shortly after graduation from Texas Tech in '72, I took a position running a ranch operation down there for a well off older cousin who lived in Houston. This place entailed multiple large tracts on both sides of the Border. Ranching and Hunting operation .

The bird was locally referred to as "a Meskin Pheasant". Just incidental to Blue (scaled) quail hunts. I shot quite a few of them... Ran a lot, not anything particularly challenging on the wing in my opinion.
Stringy breast meat , much like a native Rio Grande Gobbler living in native feed (no deer corn). Other than counting coup on one to add to your list of harvested species, I don't know any reason to go on a Chachalaca Hunt.
2 members like this
#620836 Oct 17th a 03:57 AM
by craigd
craigd
A while back, I gave them a good go, the Rio Grande was visible, maybe a couple hundred yards away. I saw a few, but came up empty, for me it was very brief glimses. I hunted clumps of nasty, thick brush, basically impossible for any sort of decent dog work, for the areas I was in. Mesquite, great for wood charcoal, but much of it was thorny brush, it was no fun. It was just some very limited experiences, I'm sure other have had much better, but I don't know if I would be over tickled being in isolated brush that far south nowadays. Go get 'em Stan, maybe you can also pick up a whitewing if you haven't gotten one of those before. Best of luck.
1 member likes this
#620833 Oct 17th a 02:57 AM
by Borderbill
Borderbill
I hadn't heard or thought about the chachalaca in long time. One of my cousins is a bird hunter in Southeast Texas. I found this from Texas Parks and Wildlife site :https://tpwd.texas.gov/landwater/land/habitats/southtx_plain/upland_birds/chachalaca.phtml
1 member likes this
#620867 Oct 17th a 10:33 PM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Not sure, Francis. May well be. Rough country according to CraigD and others.

sxsman1, thanks for the link but as soon as I click on it the newspaper company blocks it....... wants me to subscribe. Would like to read it, but not bad enough to subscribe. wink
1 member likes this
#620974 Oct 21st a 12:06 PM
by GLS
GLS
Stan, St.Catherine's Island has the bird. Island is in private hands and for years released exotics for preservation. It has dozens of ring-tailed lemurs as well. Gil
1 member likes this
#620978 Oct 21st a 01:46 PM
by mc
mc
Sapelo island. Stan
1 member likes this
#621271 Oct 28th a 04:48 PM
by Jose Fernandez
Jose Fernandez
Chachalaca meat is like turkey meat; it is perfectly edible and pretty good if you know how to cook it!

Best,

Jose
1 member likes this
#621277 Oct 28th a 06:25 PM
by Hugh Lomas
Hugh Lomas
Parabola,as a fellow Merciian that reminds me of the recipe for galahs in East Australia. Put a gallon of water in a pot, bring to the boil, throw in three rocks and plucked galahs, boil for two days, throw out the galahs, eat the rocks
1 member likes this
#621441 Nov 2nd a 02:16 AM
by ClapperZapper
ClapperZapper
Originally Posted by Karl Graebner
Craig,
I believe CZ is on Kodiak island as we speak.
Karl
I was. Now I’m in Seattle.
I was stuck out on the boat in a sheltered cove while 70 knot gusts whipped the sea into a white froth.
2 days of 20 foot seas between me and Kodiak city.
It was weird.
The storm winds blow around the islands, and the huge tides make standing waves of significant size.
We couldn’t get around the end of the island. The swells in the straight were too big.

Made the best of it and caught a 50lb halibut while hiding from Davy Jones.
I’ll be making Cullen Skink when I get home.

One morning before the storm we had a Barrow’s Goldeneye beat down that resulted in a 4 man limit of all drakes.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.