April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bob Jurewicz), 277 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,463
Posts545,044
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Buzz, campero, craigd, FallCreekFan, GLS, greener4me, John Roberts, MattH, mc, Parabola, Run With The Fox, Stanton Hillis, Ted Schefelbein, Tim Cartmell
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#620606 10/13/2022 11:35 AM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Today Susie and I are a year older. Susie was completed on Oct. 13, 1925. She and I found each other at the Fall Southern S X S Shoot some 12-14 years ago. With her long LOP, 16 gauge chambering, Hunter One trigger, 32" barrels and ejectors she caught my eye as being a standout among Field grade Elsies. Seldom will you see a Field grade with those options. I walked away from her, but returned a couple times with interest. The last time I did so I looked at the hang tag and said out loud "Oh no!". The owner asked what was the problem and I replied "It was completed on my birthday". He grinned the way someone does when they recognize they've got you and said "Do you know an omen when you see one?".

She was dubbed Susie that evening. I fell asleep with her beside me in bed. We bonded. blush

Happy 97th birthday, Susie. Long may you run.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Liked Replies
#620662 Oct 14th a 12:20 AM
by John Roberts
John Roberts
That Southern SxS was where Stan and I formed our friendship. I well remember him toiling over the purchase and consulting with me about it. It wasn't a super deal, price-wise, but it was worth every penny.
JR
3 members like this
#620742 Oct 15th a 02:04 AM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by ed good
im gittin teary eyed...could be smoke...

Yeah, could be, frog eyes ........... from your improperly adjusted acetylene torch.
3 members like this
#620612 Oct 13th a 12:56 PM
by KY Jon
KY Jon
Happy birthday to you both. She is so sweet two dove came by for a rest with her. Long barrels to a gun are what long legs are to a lady. Attractive.
2 members like this
#620611 Oct 13th a 12:20 PM
by Buzz
Buzz
I’ve slept with a .38 snubby under my pillow at a flea bag motel, but I’ve never slept with a Susie or even an Elsie. Happy Birthday Stan.
2 members like this
#620660 Oct 13th a 11:51 PM
by Buzz
Buzz
It was a tease, Stan. Sorry, but it’s in my nature. I have a couple shotguns I love too, so I know where you are coming from.
2 members like this
#620659 Oct 13th a 11:35 PM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by Buzz
RWTF, Did Stan sleep with that Susie before or after he bumped his head in that boating incident?

Way before, Buzz. Got Susie in 2010, accident was in 2020.

Thanks for all the well-wishes guys. I really appreciate it. And ........... Susie does too.

And Francis ......... I am, still using it and in good health......... both.
2 members like this
#620666 Oct 14th a 01:52 AM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
The one thing that happened at that 2010 Fall Southern more important than Susie coming to live with me was getting to know John and Judy Roberts. There are a few times in life that we are blessed to get to know someone of such a kindred spirit that we instantly become friends in a way that transcends time and reason. John is that kind of person. Gracious, full of doublegun wisdom, witty, and able to bring truth and correction in a way that never insults. Having John and Judy as my friends is a feather in my hat, and an honor to be counted.

You remember the transaction very well, my friend. And to say it was worth every penny is so true. Twelve years later I am so thankful for that trade.
2 members like this
#620722 Oct 14th a 09:33 PM
by LGF
LGF
Originally Posted by KY Jon
Long barrels to a gun are what long legs are to a lady. Attractive.

And most attractive when those long legs are clad in delicate Damascene and graced by a lovely pair of curvy hammers.

Happy Birthday Stan.
2 members like this
#620608 Oct 13th a 11:56 AM
by skeettx
skeettx
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the BOTH of you

Mike
1 member likes this
#620609 Oct 13th a 11:57 AM
by Lloyd3
Lloyd3
Happy birthday Stan!
1 member likes this
#620619 Oct 13th a 02:24 PM
by PALUNC
PALUNC
Didn't know you were 97
1 member likes this
#620617 Oct 13th a 02:06 PM
by Parabola
Parabola
Obviously a match made in heaven.

Happy Birthday! 🎂
1 member likes this
#620620 Oct 13th a 02:24 PM
by Jtplumb
Jtplumb
Happy birthday!
1 member likes this
#620625 Oct 13th a 03:15 PM
by bbman3
bbman3
Happy birthday Stan and Susie! Bobby
1 member likes this
#620627 Oct 13th a 03:34 PM
by GLS
GLS
Happy B'day, Stan. Gil
1 member likes this
#620628 Oct 13th a 03:43 PM
by Buzz
Buzz
Originally Posted by HomelessjOe
Sad day when you get more out of Miss Suze than Miss Stanley.....nothing like the feel of cold blue steel....makes for some cold hard nights.
Dang Homeless jOe, that was a bit rough, tongue in cheek.
1 member likes this
#620629 Oct 13th a 03:53 PM
by Run With The Fox
Run With The Fox
Single non-selective trigger, Stan? Looks like it. Happy Birthday, and many happy returns. All of us here are most grateful that you escaped tht near drowning accident a while back. Best to Jean and all the Hillis clan down in Dixie too. RWTF
1 member likes this
#620635 Oct 13th a 04:26 PM
by ed good
ed good
suzie is lovely...stan not so much...

happy birthday to you both...
1 member likes this
#620646 Oct 13th a 06:54 PM
by Run With The Fox
Run With The Fox
I honestly do not know the answer. My only direct information on any of Stan's L.C. Smith guns pertains to the one of mine I sold him in April2019-- True to his taste in double guns, it is a 32" F&F pigeon style gun with HOT, EJ, PGs, and factory original raised ventilated rib. I hope he is still using it in good health. RWTF
1 member likes this
#620649 Oct 13th a 08:36 PM
by gil russell
gil russell
That's a wonderful gun. Happy B-day to both of you. Gil
1 member likes this
#620657 Oct 13th a 11:05 PM
by Argo44
Argo44
Happy birthday to you both. Gene
1 member likes this
#620623 Oct 13th a 03:10 PM
by mc
mc
Joe knows this better then anyone
1 member likes this
#620630 Oct 13th a 03:56 PM
by Buzz
Buzz
RWTF, Did Stan sleep with that Susie before or after he bumped his head in that boating incident?
1 member likes this
#620673 Oct 14th a 12:15 PM
by ed good
ed good
im gittin teary eyed...could be smoke...
1 member likes this
#620845 Oct 17th a 02:25 PM
by campero
campero
Happy birthday! A great celebration.
1 member likes this
#620687 Oct 14th a 02:57 PM
by John Roberts
John Roberts
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
The one thing that happened at that 2010 Fall Southern more important than Susie coming to live with me was getting to know John and Judy Roberts. There are a few times in life that we are blessed to get to know someone of such a kindred spirit that we instantly become friends in a way that transcends time and reason. John is that kind of person. Gracious, full of doublegun wisdom, witty, and able to bring truth and correction in a way that never insults. Having John and Judy as my friends is a feather in my hat, and an honor to be counted.

You remember the transaction very well, my friend. And to say it was worth every penny is so true. Twelve years later I am so thankful for that trade.
Thank you, Stan. Mighty kind words there, my friend. Back at you brother, we be simpatico.
JR
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.