April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (gunmaker, LeFusil, Bob Blair, MattH, Karl Graebner, 1 invisible), 417 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,444
Posts544,807
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Run With The Fox, Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by 1574trap
1574trap
have purchased an extra set of barrels for a stevens 311 in 410. one of the barrels had a dent about 8" from the muzzle end and needs to be raised ect. have had several dent removed from 12 ga barrels and have been satisfied with the results. am aware of the metal slug and the screw expander device used inside the barrels to raise the dent and recontour ect. the 410 barrels appear to have thicker metal than say a 12 ga barrel and want to know how well dent removal works when it is used on 410 barrels. anyone out there have any experiences they can share on 410 barrel dent repair?
Liked Replies
by keith
keith
I have a couple sets of pin or plug gages that were made with a slight bevel, so they can be used for barrel dent removal work without causing further damage to the bore. They are also .501" to .625" and .626" to .750". However, as David notes, many sets are not beveled, and would need to be altered for use as dent removal plugs.

Although I've never tried using heat to aid in barrel dent removal, I can believe it would work. I clearly recall learning about how steel properties can change significantly with minor heating when I first started working at a steel mill. I was working on a Slitter, which was used to slit roughly 60" wide coils of flat rolled steel weighing upwards of 20 tons into narrow strips of various widths. One order we had for a few thousand tons was some high carbon high alloy steel that was very hard and springy. It was during a severe cold spell when outdoor temperatures were around zero degrees F, and it wasn't much warmer inside the mill. This particular steel alloy was giving us fits because it was chipping on the slit edges, creating quality issues, and the scrap kept breaking like an icicle. In fact, I still have a small hairless scar on my right shin from the scrap strip breaking and springing back, and slicing into my leg.

Apparently, they had this problem in the past, because it was decided to fire up the gas burners under a large insulated tank of water, and heat it to near boiling. When it was hot, the overhead crane would set ice cold coils into the hot water and let them simmer for hours. After the steel was heated by perhaps 150 degrees or so, it behaved like a different animal, and ran through the Slitter much better and easier. Of course, this extra heating step was troublesome and consumed a lot more time, so we were happy to finally finish that order. But it taught me that steel properties can change quite a bit at temperatures far lower than we typically associate with annealing, heat treating, or tempering.

On the other hand, there was another alloy we made that was called helmet stock or grenade steel. It had been used to make Army helmets before they changed to Kevlar. It was also used to make cluster bombs, and a pattern was rolled into it by Defense contractors to help it fragment into small pieces of shrapnel when the bombs or grenades detonated. That stuff was extremely brittle and would sometimes shatter even when it was still glowing red hot as it was being coiled up coming off of the Hot Mill. The many holes in the sheet metal walls at the Downcoiler end of the building told you that it wasn't a safe place to be when we were running grenade steel.
2 members like this
by keith
keith
I do not have any dent removal experience with .410 bore barrels, but have removed dents in 20 ga. barrels. I can't say that was any more difficult than raising a similar dent in a 12 gauge barrel. Considering that your dent is about 8" from the muzzle, I don't imagine the wall thickness there would be so thick as to make dent removal all that difficult.

Some years back, I built a hydraulic dent raising tool and used 1/2" EMT conduit to test it out. The wall thickness of the galvanized steel EMT was .042". I could make some pretty healthy dents in it, and then easily raise them with the hydraulic pressure of the anvil alone. I know jacking a dent up with hydraulic pressure is NOT the proper way to use a hydraulic dent raising tool, but I wanted to see what it was capable of. I was able to easily produce over 3000 psi of pressure. It was evident that a hydraulic dent raising tool used this way could easily turn a dent into a bulge, even with steel tubing thicker than the average forward portion of a shotgun barrel.

So in short, I wouldn't over-think it or worry that it can't be done. It doesn't take a whole lot of force to dent a shotgun barrel, and it doesn't take a whole lot of force to remove that dent either.
1 member likes this
by David Williamson
David Williamson
Stan, I do not put any oil on the plug. The only oil that is there is a light coat from storage. On the 10 ga. the plug was .773 and the bores were .750. I have made aluminum plugs for 10, 12, and 16 gauges as a go/no go fit.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
These naturally are for 12 ga. The smallest at .724 is for some 12 gauge L.C. Smith hammer guns that have a smaller bore. Have never run across an L.C. Smith hammerless that small in diameter.

Thanks Mike, I use Imgur as a photo hosting site and when I want to post a picture I click on BBCode and click on copy. Most times it works great.

Also wanted to mention Happy Thanksgiving to all.
1 member likes this
by Mark S
Mark S
Hi Guys,
Just to inform you the manufacturer of the Original English Hydraulic Dent Raiser is:-
Desman Engineering Ltd,
Burma Road,
Blidworth Industrial Park.
Blidworth,
Nottinghamshire.
NG21 0RT.
United Kingdom.
https://www.desman-engineering.com/
Phone
Simon 01623 499962 or Mark 01623 499968
email, Sales@desman-engineering.co.uk
Simon@desman-engineering.co.uk
Mark@desman-engineering.co.uk
Any questions please don't hesitate to contact us.
Regards
1 member likes this
by David Williamson
David Williamson
On another forum years ago the conversation was on dent removal and I had replied on a question about what I do. A gentleman replied that he was a gunsmith for 40 years and he suggested to apply a little heat in the area of the dent, just enough to get it warm. His theory was that in doing so you were moving some of the molecules of the steel around and would help in raising the dent. Ever since then I have used heat on any gun I get that has a dent or so. Never enough heat to melt solder which is about 450 deg. just warm to the touch.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.