March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Mills, Marc Ret, Licensed to kill, Jimmy W, John E, 1 invisible), 336 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,373
Posts543,993
Members14,389
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Hoot4570, Run With The Fox
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#619757 09/25/2022 12:51 PM
by Run With The Fox
Run With The Fox
Our local VFW Post Cmdr. asked me to do a clean up on their Garand ceremonial rifles- 6 with muzzle BFA's.. Any tips on removal, cleaning and re-installing the muzzle BFA plug and also the gas piston?? I plan to use Hoppe's No. 9, and then Rem aerosol gun oil, and "elbow grease" Those blank rounds must be loaded with a type of powder that produces a loud "bang", but not the same as the std. 172 grain Ball round. RWTF
Liked Replies
#619807 Sep 26th a 06:16 PM
by Kutter
Kutter
The commonly seen Argentine Mauser Model 1891 is marked:
'Mauser Modelo Argentino 1891 / Manufactura Loewe, Berlin' in 2 lines on the left recv'r wall.

Argentine Nat'l Crest on the top of the front ring,,often the crest is ground off on import milsurp rifles. This practice even goes back to the good old days of Milsurp imports . Not just anything recent.

The 7.65 Argentine and 7.65 Belgian Mauser cartridges are the same round as far as reloading and commercial ammo is concerned. Likely differences in the countries loading for their forces of course.

The odd Mauser is the Belgian Model 1889 Mauser mfg'd in the 1915/1916 period in the USA by 'Hopkins and Allen/Norwich, Conn'. That is what is proudly roll marked on the front ring.
They made a carbine version as well but fell short of their contract for the Belgian Gov't and H&A went bankrupt.
Very hard to find collectible rifle.
The Belgian Model 1889 looks like the Argentine 1891 with it's 5rd extended straight feed magazine. But the 1889 retains a sheet metal bbl jacket like the older GEW88 Commission rifle had.
All of the rest of the Belgian Model 1889 Mausers were made in Belgium. None were made by Loewe or any other German contractor.
Some will be found marked with a front top ring marking of Birmingham Etat Belge (sp?) Birmingham-Belgian State.
These are rebuilt rifles done during WW1 in England/Birmingham gun district in an area set aside for the Belgian Govt to do this work and with Belgian civilian workers.
2 members like this
#619761 Sep 25th a 03:00 PM
by Der Ami
Der Ami
Run With The Fox,
I suggest you enlist the help of another post member, if you are not familiar with field striping the M-1. Likely your WW2 members will either be "gone" or won't feel like it. Korean war vets or early Viet Nam vets that were in ROTC could also help. The handle of the M-1 cleaning rod is milled to fit the gas plug and function as a wrench to remove it, by using one of the rod sections placed in the hole at the other end, as a T handle. Disassembly of these parts is pretty much self-explanatory, but while you are doing it, you may as well field strip and clean the whole rifle. The Post will be better off buying blanks than loading them. Actual arsenal loaded blanks are loaded with a very fast burning powder known as "Flash Powder" and if you could find it, is tricky and possibly dangerous to load. You can load blanks the same way as fire forming loads, using Bullseye for powder and a filler to fill the case. However, if you do this you should remove the BFAs (blank firing attachments) and reinstall the normal gas plugs. With blanks loaded this way, the filler will build up in the BFA, stopping it up and making a possible dangerous situation and maybe damaging the rifle or injuring someone. I appreciate your service, good luck.
Mike
1 member likes this
#619788 Sep 25th a 10:34 PM
by Kutter
Kutter
here's a manual for the M1 BFA.
Maybe it's of use.

http://www.90thidpg.us/Reference/Manuals/orangebook-M1_Tech_Bulletin_Latest.pdf
1 member likes this
#619805 Sep 26th a 04:30 PM
by Der Ami
Der Ami
Run With The Fox,
Thanks for the compliments, largely unearned though. To ID the 1891 it would help to check the Crest on the receiver ring to see the country of issue. I think, without checking, that the 7.65X53, and 7.65x54 are the same cartridge. Some countries don't include the rim in the nominal case length, and most do. Also "rounding off" results often enough in nominal case lengths differing from the actual. In any case, the 7.65 is a fine cartridge and at one time was popular enough that it was chambered in some American commercial rifles. I agree prices have gone "out of sight".
With regard to the Wounded Warrior Project, I heard the same things you said. I don't know if what they were making is out of line compared to other well-known charities. I thought we should support them, but both my local American Legion Post and the District disagreed, for the reason you gave. A 100% of nothing is nothing and that doesn't help wounded warriors very much. I think Tunnel to Towers does good work too.
Mike
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.