March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 829 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
2 hours ago
Thread Like Summary
liverwort, Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#619268 09/12/2022 7:13 PM
by liverwort
liverwort
Hello. I want to replace a nipple on a muzzleloader. I have new nipples that measure OD of the thread.225 and 24 thread count. I am having trouble finding a chart that shows anything close to .225X24. So I'm asking for advice. The nipples were made by CVA if this is helpful information. Thanks in advance.

I searched the part number of the nipples and it says it is a 6x1 thread. Would this be the correct tap to buy? https://www.amazon.com/1-0mm-Metric-Taper-Plug-Taps/dp/B008702N5K

Thanks again.
Liked Replies
#619288 Sep 13th a 10:43 AM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
A question that comes to my mind liverwort, having replaced nipples on cap locks often myself is, what is the size of the original nipple that you are replacing? If you can determine that you could set about finding a replacement that would not necessitate drilling and re-tapping threads in the drum.

Or, is that actually the case here, that you are replacing a CVA nipple with the same size and you just want to get a tap to clean up the threads before installing the new one?
1 member likes this
#619295 Sep 13th a 12:49 PM
by Kutter
Kutter
Here's a list of replacements from Track of the Wolf ML supplys
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/807/1

The CVA looks like the 6-1 is the orig
#3 on the list is the 6-1 thread and for #11 caps.
They offer a 7-1 for a repair. You need to re-tap to the slightly larger size of course.
The first offering uses a musket size cap

They offer the taps as well, but those are standard metric sizes
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/811/3
1 member likes this
#619294 Sep 13th a 12:28 PM
by BrentD, Prof
BrentD, Prof
If you want a CVA nipple, get them at trackofthewolf.com. Just use their search for "CVA nipple". It is 6mm x 1. If your female threads are messed up, they sell a 7x1 nipple (and tap) to clean things up. Always TotW are good folks to check with when it comes to muzzleloaders (and bpc firearms).
1 member likes this
#619302 Sep 13th a 05:01 PM
by liverwort
liverwort
Thanks for replying. Stanton, the original nipple was rusted in and destroyed when removed leaving the threaded portion in the hole. It was beyond removel with and easy-out so I drilled it out. The hole size is right for the threads of the nipple I have, purchased many years ago, so I'd like to use them.

Kutter, Thanks for doing that research for me, very kind. I would not have thought to look at Track of the Wolf for what I need. I think I can use the 1x6 tap.

Thank you both for the help!
1 member likes this
#619353 Sep 15th a 12:19 AM
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
A little copper based NeverSeize on the threads of the replacement will make removal much easier for whoever does the job next time. Be careful to keep the compound on the threads, and not get it on the face. You may want to use a toothpick to apply it, and not the brush under the cap.
1 member likes this
#619354 Sep 15th a 12:42 AM
by BrentD, Prof
BrentD, Prof
Or, choke tube grease if it's handier.. Little dab will do ya.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.