March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
5 members (David Williamson, SKB, HalfaDouble, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 391 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,009
Members14,391
Most Online1,131
Jan 21st, 2024
Thread Like Summary
bushveld, eightbore, Run With The Fox, Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#618769 08/29/2022 5:58 PM
by PALUNC
PALUNC
Full disclosure, Not a Parker guy, I have owned several Repo's though.
Was at a local shop this past weekend and saw this nice clean Parker on the shelf. It was listed on the tag as a VH but best I could tell by the engraving it was actually a DH. I wanted to look at the frame and see what frame size and if the frame was stamped as a DH but could not get the barrels off. My friend tried and the guy at the store tried but we could never get them off.
Now I suppose I could have looked at the barrel markings to see if they were stamped as V grade barrels but was frustrated by the problem I just put it back in the rack.
Now I suppose the gun had some refreshing done as the skeleton butt plate was re-blued and had no engraving. It also had somewhat of a short LOP and overall it just looked like someone had did some cosmetic work at some time to it.
Now I could get the forearm off but could never get the barrels off the frame. Was there something I was missing doing? Suppose someone put V grade barrels on this DH gun or does it even matter.
Liked Replies
#618819 Aug 30th a 01:20 PM
by Kutter
Kutter
A common problem with some Parkers is that the bbls won't come off the frame after you take the forend off and then open the action.
The issue is related to the 'hook' and wether it is releasing from the cocking arm.

But rather than getting into all that, you just want to inspect the gun with the bbls off the frame,,
An easy way to dismount these that don't want to dismount is to simply dryfire one bbl
or both, doesn't matter,,after removing the forend.
Then open the gun as normal and chances are 95% of the time the bbls will come right off of the frame.

The bbls can go right back on even though the hammer (or even both of them) have been dry fired.
The forend of a non-ejector gun will slip right back in position.
Open and then close the gun and it is cocked once again.

If the gun is an Ejector gun,, the ejector(s) will be 'fired' after you dry fire either or both bbls and then remove the forend.
To put that forend back on it's easiest to re-cock the ejector hammer or hammers first.

Take the forend in one hand with the ejector hammers facing back at you.
Place the end of a piece of wood against the face of the fired ejector hammer(s) and push them back till they 'cock'
I usually just use the end of my bench hammer handle,,works just as well.
The V springs powering the ejectors are quite stout, so it takes some effort to push them back to the cocked position. You can do one at a time or both together.

Once the ejectors are cocked, the forend goes right back on the gun even though the hammers are down/fired w/ no problem.
Then open and then close the gun and the hammers will be cocked as well.

Another way to recock the guns hammer(s) alone w/o the bbls and forend being on the frame is to reach into the firing pin hole in the face of the frame and push the hammer(s) back to the cocked
position.
You do this with a shop made tool.
Simple, made from an 1100 fireing pin (an 870 works too I think).
Cup the tip of the pin with a small center drill.
Then mount tool in a small handle..that's it.

To use, the tool is placed on the tip of the exposed firing pin of the fired hammer. The cupped point of the tool fits nicely on the tip of the FP.
Then simply push the hammer back to the cocked position by pushing the tool inside the frame.
No, it won't slide off of the tip of the FP or damage anything.

Handy for working on the hammers/sears & recocking the hammers you don't have to constantly have to put the bbls and forend back in place.
2 members like this
#618837 Aug 30th a 08:22 PM
by eightbore
eightbore
Eureka! Non ejector. Please, back up and learn a bit about Parkers before buying one.
1 member likes this
#618821 Aug 30th a 02:11 PM
by eightbore
eightbore
No one with the questions the OP has should be remotely thinking of paying $3000 for any Parker, especially one put together from parts.
1 member likes this
#618831 Aug 30th a 04:12 PM
by Dogfox
Dogfox
Originally Posted by Run With The Fox
Just my point.If this gent can't open the gun, how will he know> I own a GH 12 that had been converted by a Minn gunsmith in the 1920's to a GHE-- expensive proposition indeed. Today my "go-to" 12 double for barn yard pigeons and crows is a early 1920's 12 L.C. Smith field grade, extractor gun- 30" tubes tight chokes- I prefer it because I keep my fired empties. RWTF

Foxy?? The OP said he couldnt get the barrels off. He didn’t say he couldn’t ‘open the gun’. Also fired empties from ejector gun are easily popped into the palm of hand.
1 member likes this
#618840 Aug 30th a 09:05 PM
by ed good
ed good
or better yet, buy a stevens...in the dark, they look and feel the same...
1 member likes this
#618853 Aug 31st a 09:23 AM
by tut
tut
Back to square one. Post the serial number and we will let you know what the book says. Not that hard truly.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.