March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (Jimmy W), 834 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
eeb, HistoricBore, John Roberts, mc, Parabola, steve voss, Ted Schefelbein, Tom Findrick
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#615763 06/13/2022 9:44 PM
by Parabola
Parabola
Just bought one at auction, not seen it yet.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Bottom gun, top is a Valmet Skeet.

Johnny at ProofhouseTGS/TGS Outdoors on YouTube is at least partly to blame.

I know I have read an article on SKB in DGJ in recent years.

Can anyone remember year or issue?

Or why I thought I needed it?

Parabola
Liked Replies
#615766 Jun 13th a 10:09 PM
by LeFusil
LeFusil
Bought my first new one at G.U. in Omaha, Nebraska in 99’. A field 505. Great gun. My full time waterfowling piece nowadays is a old SKB built Weatherby Orion. Pretty damn tough guns…built to last that’s for sure. The Orion has been fed a lot of stout 1 1/4 Oz steel loads in its lifetime….and I just sent it back to SKB in Omaha to get a new top lever spring, an ejector spring and the locking bolt replaced. Not too bad for a 30+ year old gun that has seen a lot of legit use in its lifetime.

Parts are still available, factory maintenance is reasonably priced and do it yourself maintenance is pretty straightforward. Stout, simple, very well built guns.
4 members like this
#615765 Jun 13th a 09:52 PM
by mc
mc
I had one a long time ago always worked not bad looking. do you really need an excuse to buy one
1 member likes this
#615768 Jun 13th a 10:39 PM
by LeFusil
LeFusil
Originally Posted by Parabola
Thanks, that’s comforting.

Just hoping this one hasn’t been “rid hard and put away wet”.

If it has…..you’re in luck. Most all of the important parts are readily available….even new stock sets. If everything checks out and is on the up and up…..I’d go ahead and order a couple of mainsprings, a top lever spring, and a locking bolt. With those basic parts and minimal fitting….you’ll basically have a new gun if any of those parts happen to wear out on you. If the trigger hasn’t been monkeyed with too bad and works as it should….you’re in business.

https://www.skbshotguns.com/parts-tools
1 member likes this
#615769 Jun 13th a 11:41 PM
by Entropy
Entropy
Enjoy! Carried one as a grouse gun for many years. 20ga. Choked SK/SK. Wonderful gun. About to gift it to my son. It’s always been a favorite of his. Now he’ll have zero reasons not to join me this fall.
1 member likes this
#615782 Jun 14th a 12:06 PM
by eeb
eeb
Johnny must have had one to sell.
1 member likes this
#615786 Jun 14th a 01:28 PM
by Parabola
Parabola
At least mine is not the BSA SKB 500 one he was showing with the “why bother if that is all you are going to do?” few lines of engraving.

He did suggest looking for SKB instead of a BSA SKB.
1 member likes this
#615802 Jun 14th a 06:11 PM
by PALUNC
PALUNC
I would say late 70's for the SKB. They were all great guns
1 member likes this
#616998 Jul 24th a 01:41 PM
by Parabola
Parabola
Collected it now. It has clearly seen a lot of use, but not “rid hard and put away wet” as I had feared.

Not had a chance to shoot it yet, but it goes “click” and “ping” at the right times.

Bores on both the the SKB, and the Valmet Skeet lotted up with it, are very clean and I suspect both were made with hard chromed bores.

Only remains to see if I can miss as many clays as usual?
1 member likes this
#617265 Jul 29th a 01:18 PM
by HistoricBore
HistoricBore
So is this japanese-made SKB as good as my Nikko over-under, made in 1974?
This is a Browning style copy but without the holes in the bottom of the receiver. I believe that it was widely sold as the Winchester 101.

Now that I have opened out the full choke barrel to Skeet I am ready for standard steel cartridges here in (bone-dry) southern England!

HB
1 member likes this
#617268 Jul 29th a 02:23 PM
by tut
tut
Your Nikko was made by the same folks who built all the Winchester 101s made in Japan. I like the looks of them more then the SKB over unders. That said I really prefer the barrel selector on the SKB to the Winchester. The SKBs you can still get parts for. The Nikko made guns are really hit or miss on parts.
1 member likes this
#617269 Jul 29th a 02:30 PM
by Parabola
Parabola
Both very well engineered to high Japanese standards (I wonder what the Japanese equivalent of “Who do you think you are working for - Cogswell and F****** Harrison” is?).

The SKB is copied from the Merkel over and under design. Mine is 1/4 and 1/2 choke so should cope with steel within reason.
1 member likes this
#617294 Jul 30th a 10:30 AM
by L. Brown
L. Brown
Late 70's would have been too late for Ithaca SKB.

Concerning Japanese proofs being recognized in Europe . . . they're not part of CIP.

When I first started shooting skeet, my mentor had a Model 500 20ga. Tire weights taped to the barrels. That gun had been shot a LOT!

For those looking for something a little different in an SKB OU, look around for a 680. That's the OU with straight grip vs PG. While the 280s (straight grip sxs) are relatively common, you don't see a lot of 680s.

If you've saved old issues of Shooting Sportsman, I did two articles on SKB doubles back in 2003: March/April and May/June.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.