April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (Jimmy W, Marks_21, rwarren, NCTarheel, Tom Shaffer, smlekid), 239 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,460
Posts544,999
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
eeb, graybeardtmm3, ithaca1, randy, Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by liverwort
liverwort
I have considered shell pressure for many years now, resulting from my ownership of some older guns. I just today came across this article published in 2011. Would some of you who have a similar interest read it and give your thoughts? Thanks.

http://randywakeman.com/Why_Shotshell_Published_Pressures_are_Meaningless.htm
Liked Replies
by oskar
oskar
I purchased a Win 101 back in the day and it started life on a steady diet of 1 1/4 oz International Trap loads, hammered the head of the stock enough to change the dimensions of the stock and split the forend. New wood and backed off to standard 1 1/8 trap loads, it has over 250,000 rounds through it and you can't close the action on a piece of computer paper.

I now shoot nothing but hand loaded low pressure 2.5" loads and still break a lot of birds and kill my share of game.

The only need for high pressure loads is to cycle a semi auto and while I've spent a little time with them I've never found the need for one.

3.5" shells, rottweilers and pit bulls are for guys that think God short changed them.
2 members like this
by Jtplumb
Jtplumb
All you can know is they are below max pressure saami but recoil breaks stocks not pressure so you are on the right track. Less weight(charge) and less velocity are your friend.
2 members like this
by Drew Hause
Drew Hause
Armbrust tested 1 oz. 2 1/2 Dr.Eq. loads:
Federal Game Load 1 oz at 1161 fps was 9160 psi in 2001
Federal Game Load 1 oz at 1135 fps was 9633 psi in 2002
Winchester (Australian manufacture) Game Load 1 oz at 1161 was 9300 psi
Cheddite for Herters “Select Field Dove and Quail” 1 oz. at 1165 fps was measured at 1,200 fps and 11,500 psi

Obviously components change in 20 years

I communicated with Tom in 2019, he did not use email, and his phone was 815-451-6649
2 members like this
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by randy
I am not concerned about pressure related to the barrels (sleeved) but like oskar, I think about the 116 year old stock. I saw some 16 gauge federal game loads, 1 ounce, 2 1/2 dram equivalent, 1165 ft./s. Would the pressure be below 10,000 psi?

Only way to know for sure is to send five to Tom Armbrust for pressure testing. Sometimes it's well worth the cost. You might even email him and ask if he has ever tested that particular load. I'd offer to pay for the information, if he has.
1 member likes this
by KY Jon
KY Jon
Stocks are not cracked by pressure, but by recoil which is a slightly different thing. But today's factory shells are loaded to work gas or recoil operated guns and need the recoil to work the action. Load data is slanted to loads which should easily work those guns, with the more modern obsession for velocity which is getting past sane in my opinion. I never thought I missed a bird because my shot was not traveling at 1400 plus fps, but somebody must or they would not have so many hyper velocity loads on the market.
1 member likes this
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by KY Jon
....with the more modern obsession for velocity which is getting past sane in my opinion. I never thought I missed a bird because my shot was not traveling at 1400 plus fps, but somebody must or they would not have so many hyper velocity loads on the market.

I can understand why manufacturers pushed steel shot loads to high velocities ......... it was in order to give it a little more lethality and range. Initial steel loadings here in the USA were anemic, and led to a well deserved reputation of non-lethality. But, it seemed to me that when the advancements in loading steel came about, coupled with a velocity of somewhere around 1300-1350, steel became a much better substitute for lead. Not equal to, by any stretch, but usable.

Hyper-velocity lead loads are just ridiculous, however. It seems that marketers play to the same weaknesses that exist in other markets than shotshells, too. Bigger is better!, Faster is better!.

NOT!!!
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.