April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (PALUNC, StevenD, Jimmy W, canvasback), 547 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,465
Posts545,078
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Run With The Fox, Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Run With The Fox
Run With The Fox
Thinking about using them for turkey and deer-how do they work? Are they like security cameras? How do you get the pictures relayed back to your computer, or do you have to remove the film and then run the card or chip into your computer. Do you need 2, like with walkie-talkies, or will a single tree mounted in a traffic lane work. How weatherproof are they, and how long do the batteries usually last. what's the best way to mount them? Any brand recommendations? Best place to buy one? Thanks- RWTF
Liked Replies
by spring
spring
Yes, it all worked out. A camera lets you easily determine if it's a big male or not that you've run across.
2 members like this
by eightbore
eightbore
Let's get back to "What should he buy, and why".
1 member likes this
by GLS
GLS
Game camera legalities have changed over the past year or two from total ban of the use of cellular accessible ones to partial bans during the hunting season. I think MI is okay on both counts with no bans. Gil
1 member likes this
by LGF
LGF
Wildlife biologists use large arrays of cameras for research and tend to favor Reconyx units for their reliability, durability, and high quality. They are pricey but a lot of the cheaper ones don't last very long.
1 member likes this
by Brian
Brian
I now use Spypoint cellular cameras with solar power. they run about $175 each. the monthly plans aren't expensive and you can do long term subscriptions or monthly. You get 100 photos a month free.
if you have cell coverage you get photos sent direct to your phone and or computer.

i like to just see whats on my property. I hunt the same stand every year, all season. not used to check when they arrive, just see whats on property.
and I see if someone who isn't supposed to be there is there!!!

the cellular allows you to see photos without going in and disturbing the area.

amazing the critters you see when you have camera set up. Deer, bears, fox, coyotes, racoons, turkeys, rabbits. and amazing number of bucks that are purely nocturnal!!
i have several real nice bucks on camera that i never see during the season and i hunt pretty much everyday (when I dont fall asleep!)
1 member likes this
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Trail cams are useful for all sorts of things. That are lockable, so they can be locked to a tree. If someone wants to steal it badly enough they can, with the help of an oxygen-acetylene setup, a chain saw, or a rechargeable side cutter/grinder. But, they can be hidden so well that a crook would almost never see them anyway. I've used them for keeping loggers honest when they report the number of loads they hauled off my place, security around remote sites, even trying to determine what time an armadillo was tearing up my lawn at night. My friend put a thief in prison, with the help of one, who broke into his Mom's house and stole the air conditioner.

Dbh1956, those gopher tortoises are unique creatures. They live in a certain habitat that exists in areas near me, and I have "run into" them occasionally over the years. I once picked a tick off a big tortoise's nose, which it obviously could not get off itself. It was interesting trying to hold that big sucker still with one hand, sitting straddling it's back, while trying to get that tick off without getting bitten. Very interesting creatures that live in a unique habitat with some other rare species. Panthers are "caught" on camera around here too, and not rarely.
1 member likes this
by craigd
craigd
I have two older ones that I haven't had need to set up in years. I don't know the generic brand name, but when a brother inlaw was visiting almost three years ago, he bought a thirty-five dollar sale trail cam from a local store. I think it had some twelve mega pixal rating and he runs it at a lower mid level. His wife called my wife, her sister, and had her pick up three more.

He uses the four cheapie cams on a smallish whitetail woods lot year round in the midwest. So far, they work perfectly and are basically disposable if they give up. It's easy for him to stick the SD card in a laptop and screen many dozens of pictures at a time and scroll through pages in just a couple of minutes. For small scale use, it doesn't seem worth going pricier. I'm just not much of a big game hunter, but I would agree with some of the other comments, hide it well, It'll pick up two legged surprises.
1 member likes this
by BrentD, Prof
BrentD, Prof
Originally Posted by HomelessjOe
Originally Posted by keith
I also feel it is rather lazy to make use of trail cameras, instead of personally putting time and effort in the woods to do pre-season scouting.

I shoot everyone I come across....

Of course you do. Because you are basically a self-centered jerk who thinks nothing of destroying other's property. Is this surprising to anyone? No.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.