March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 876 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,015
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
67galaxie, Bill Graham, BrentD, Prof, CJF, LetFly, mark, mc, NCTarheel, Stanton Hillis, Woodreaux, WRE1
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Caravaggio
Caravaggio
Hello Everyone, my first post here!

I did post this earlier but in the wrong forum, so I hope that you don't mind that I am reposting it here.

So, I recently purchased a 100 year old English Sidelock.

I have decided to keep the gun in its original condition but I am wondering if there is anything that I can do to refresh the wood without removing it from the metal.

The oil finish is a bit cloudy and dull, so I am wondering if I can say, rub the wood down with a rag wet with a light degreaser, and then once dry, apply something like True Oil lightly with my fingertips and build up the finish

Again nothing drastic, just something that might freshen up the wood and show off the grain better. If not, I will leave it alone

I would appreciate your comments and advice!

Thank You!
Liked Replies
by mark
mark
Timberluxe
2 members like this
by mc
mc
I would refresh make sure if there is any oil soaked wood to address that but wood will shrink a lot if you soak the wood to remove oil I have used timberlux and it works as advertised good luck
2 members like this
by BrentD, Prof
BrentD, Prof
Originally Posted by mark
I can do 2 full refinishes with 1 bottle or several freshen ups. It saves MANY hours over other methods. The time savings more than pays for the cost.

Its the only hand rubbed finish I have used that does not spot in the rain.

On that recommendation, I'll have to give it a try.

Have you tried Velvit oil? Not saying it is better but it is my current favorite for refinishing.
2 members like this
by mark
mark
I can do 2 full refinishes with 1 bottle or several freshen ups. It saves MANY hours over other methods. The time savings more than pays for the cost.

Its the only hand rubbed finish I have used that does not spot in the rain.
2 members like this
by SKB
SKB
A total mystery and thankfully Kojack is on the case, thanks Keith!

Let me help you get to the bottom of things. Mark was kind enough to send me a bottle of timberluxe and I liked the results. I now use it in the shop regularly. Oddly, you do not play into my decision making process when selecting a stock finish for a particular project.

Jim bought his gun from Holt's not from me. Unless the rules have changed, I only owe Dave 12$ for a gun I sell. On the rare occasion that a board member buys a gun from me that I advertise here I pay Dave 25$.

Timberluxe is good stuff in my opinion.
2 members like this
by mc
mc
I don't understand the problem with using what works for you if you don't like something for whatever reason like cost don't use it it's not like selling someone a corvair
2 members like this
by mark
mark
Like a lot of things in gun work their are more than one way to skin a cat. What matters is the results.
2 members like this
by mark
mark
I just finished some spring cleaning. I just pitched a pile of stock finishes I have tried over the years. Tru Oil , Boiled linseed oil ,Permilin, Slacum, Watco, Arrow, Formbys, Wipe on Poly, General, Shalac, Lacquer, Spar varnish , Tung oil And many more who's names I can't recall. Not to mention the thinners, oils, and dryers. Good news is I have an empty cabinet in the shop that will hold roughly 10,000 1/2oz bottles of Timberlux.
2 members like this
by BrentD, Prof
BrentD, Prof
Originally Posted by KY Jon
The money side of my brain says buy the 2 ounce size for $36.00 to save money but the practical side of me knows from past histories I’ll never use it enough before it goes bad or I forget where I stored it. I’m getting famous for finding things I put away and forgot I even owned, then go out and buy another only to find the first right where I left it. I must be going Biden.

Well, I don't know how to help with the finding it. All my finishes hang out in the same cabinet, so I haven't had that particular problem.

As for it going bad, somewhere along the way, I acquired a bag of cheap glass beads. I just meticulously clean the cap threads or can and lid seal and then drop in enough beads to bring the level up to top to exclude almost all air before closing. Small bottles have lasted years that way.
2 members like this
by mc
mc
I have made so many concoctions over the last 45 years it really stinks when you put all this work in to a project then you get the news so and so has the best concoction for finishing wood it's a miracle so you try it it gums on a full stock Tennessee rifle so you strip it and start over oh boy the tapestry of sware words still floating around the universe.lee shaver did some great work for me so I tend to believe him
1 member likes this
by mc
mc
Mark,,.,,Buy the 2 oz bottle you only need 1250
1 member likes this
by mc
mc
Rotten stone +olive oil
1 member likes this
by SKB
SKB
Originally Posted by mc
Mark save the lindseed oil for tempering springd
Linseed still has a place in my opinion, cleaning with raw really works well. I use boiled as a carrier for my alkenet root too.
1 member likes this
by Woodreaux
Woodreaux
Here is Terry Weiland's take on Timberluxe:

"I have TimberLuxe finishes on several pieces.... Brian [creator of Timberluxe] lists endorsements from venerable companies like Griffin & Howe and Perugini-Visini. As a further affirmation, I asked gunmaker Lee Shaver for his opinion, which was quite simple: “It’s the best hand-rubbed oil finish I’ve ever used,” he told me. From a gunmaker of Lee’s standing and experience, it hardly gets much better."

I am still inclined to believe that a committed potion conjurer can get make his own oil finish, and that it is more satisfying to apply a finish that was made at the finishing bench. But surely creating a finish is not as simple as reading an MSDS and thinking that A+B+C= X. And surely $15 has been spent on far dumber things than a simple, premixed and predictable gun finish, especially if the results are pleasing.

[Update: Timberluxe now has a 2 oz jar for $35, so $2 cheaper than Pilkington's Wood Finish.]
1 member likes this
by ithaca1
ithaca1
Ok, I'm going to beat the horse.
After all the hoopla over the years, and in this thread, I broke down and bought a bottle of Timberluxe. Gotta say, I'm impressed. Over the years I've tried Pro Custom, Plinkton's classic, Tru oil, Lin speed, Permalyn and a couple of others. The Timberluxe has been the easiest to work with. The finish is ALMOST perfect as applied but I want to cut the gloss back slightly. Over the years I have found, cutting back the shine, very difficult to get just right. I have tried small spots with 3F pumice and 1500 wet dry, wet, but lose depth. Looking for that luster.

Suggestions.

Thanks,
Bill
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.