March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Travis S, 12boreman, MattH), 623 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,376
Posts544,025
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
BrentD, Prof, John Roberts, mc, Run With The Fox, SKB, spring
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Run With The Fox
Run With The Fox
Jusr received the Adventure 2022 issue-and talk about timing- Out of Africa with: Meryl Streep, Robert Redford and Klaus Maria Brandauer circe 1985 was on the Turner movie Channel the other night-one of my all-time favorites- and sonofagun, there's a great article by Wayne Van Zwoll on the history, and of special interest, the actual Express Rifle Denys-Finch-Hatton used in real life was pictured and detailed. Everything I love about Hemingway's writings about Africa, and the fotos and cast of characters from his first Safari (1933) until his last, 20 years later-Baron Bror Von Blixen, Beryl Markham, plus not mentioned but in the mix- Phillip Perccival, Dennis Zaphiro and Dick Cooper-- great piece of writng, Sir- well done indeed. RWTF
Liked Replies
by ellenbr
ellenbr
Originally Posted by Argo44
In my teens I discovered Africa in Literature. There are a lot of Hunting tales and I ultimately wound up spending a goodly number of years in Francophone Africa where I can still be found today. But for me three books read early on are still the best:

The Turning Wheels, by Stuart Cloete - the story of the vortrekers. There is an overwhelming sense of the vastness and color of the Veld. I read that book when I was 14...some terrible scenes like when a man trapped in a tree by a musk ox has his foot wedge by a branch and the ox licks the sole off he boot and the skin off the foot.....

Out of Africa by Karen Blixen: The first line of the book remains with me to this day: "I had a farm in Africa, at the foot of the Ngong Hills". There was something about Kenya in the pre-WWI era that is just incredibly romantic. The movie was good. The book is timeless........

I too via literature discovered Africa, of which I really had not the slightest idea, in my teens. My English teacher, thru a change of life early on, had decided she would expand our small town minds by making us dissect every word and phrase of the movie. I know it like back of hand, have lived it and witnessed such Lion attack and am forever changed as well as forever grateful.

I watch it ever chance, just like a recent viewing, and watch it as if it were the 1st viewing. Pure LIFE it is.....

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
3 members like this
by graybeardtmm3
graybeardtmm3
Originally Posted by SKB
Out of Africa is not a work of fiction but a memoir of Karen Blixen's time managing a coffee plantation in Kenya.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out_of_Africa

in 2015, i had the pleasant experience of visiting her home/estate....located in the south western portion of nairobi, the general area is known as the "karen district".

the movie was partially filmed in that house, which has many of it's original furnishings....so it's not fiction - unless you're an idiot.

best regards,
tom
2 members like this
by KY Jon
KY Jon
Few books move me like Out of Africa. That reminds me I ought to find my copy and give it a good read.
1 member likes this
by Argo44
Argo44
Humm. The Baron may have been interesting...but he gave his wife the clap and she suffered for a lifetime.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.