April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
6 members (ChiefAmungum, eeb, bushveld, Ted Schefelbein, Jimmy W, 1 invisible), 608 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,465
Posts545,078
Members14,409
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Buzz, John Roberts, keith, mc, Parabola, SKB, Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
https://stevebarnettfineguns.com/henry-morris-shotguns/henry-morris-boxlock-ejector-410?rq=22273

Mercy!
Liked Replies
by Buzz
Buzz
Beautiful little gun. It’s so light, I bet it would be very challenging to shoot well. Might be a good investment though?
2 members like this
by BrentD, Prof
BrentD, Prof
It is pretty short and already has a pad. If you are short, that may not be a problem, I guess.
1 member likes this
by John Roberts
John Roberts
Plenty of wood on the comb to shave it to fit, Stan. You could easily get it to 2 3/8" at the heel without affecting the aesthetics of the buttstock.
JR
1 member likes this
by eightbore
eightbore
7/16 ounce, couldn't have been made as a 3" gun. 3/4 ounce 3" .410 in a 4 pound 6 ounce gun is a whopper. Oh well, at least it's cheap. If I get hit by a truck, Linda has instructions to mail my 30" .410 Skeeter to Stan.
1 member likes this
by SKB
SKB
I will be the outlier....nice gun and well priced if it is as clean as it appears to be. When was the last time you saw a high grade, high condition vintage .410 ejector gun with 29" barrels?
1 member likes this
by Rocketman
Rocketman
Just a guess, but I'd surmise whoever J. Ormiston is/was approached our man Henry with a largish roll of bills/notes and offered to share. I have some work by Mr. Morris---- nice work if I do say so.
1 member likes this
by Recoil Rob
Recoil Rob
Am I the only one that thinks the left panel/receiver fit is a bit wonky?
1 member likes this
by LeFusil
LeFusil
Originally Posted by Parabola
Originally built as 2 1/2 inch. Re-proofed at 3 inch.

JA is James Asbury barrel makers mark.

Joseph Asbury? I’d be willing to wager that the entire gun came out of Asbury’s shop/factory. I’m betting the action is marked “JA” as well.
Or….and this maybe a long shot…..Maybe EM Reilly made this gun for the trade????
1 member likes this
by Parabola
Parabola
Yes, JA stands for Joseph (not James) Asbury. My bad, I checked the spelling of the surname but forgot to check I had remembered the right first name.

The date stamp o 1 c on the proof marks is for 1988 and must refer to the later 3” proof test as the o impinges on the / of the 7/8 oz. from the earlier 2 1/2 inch marks. There seems to be an earlier date stamp but I cannot read the detail.

John Ormiston is an interesting character. He was a Director of Holland and Holland, and the chap who bought the case for Denys Finch-Hatton’s double rifle and later found the rifle to go with it.

For more information on him go the Vintage Gun Journal, search Ormiston and you will find a number of articles by or about him.
1 member likes this
by jldidier
jldidier
Guessing it was only matter of time before someone felt the need to hijack the original post...stay on topic hoss or shut the f... up .
1 member likes this
by Stanton Hillis
Stanton Hillis
Originally Posted by mc
Wow we must be looking at two different guns the Morris I looked at was just a great looking English gun

What we have here is failure .......to communicate. Let me try one last time.

1) It is a gorgeous gun.
2) Nothing wrong with pretty English guns
3) I'm more interested in it's shootability than it's looks.
4) I will never be able to shoot a 4 1/2 lb. gun as well as I can a 6 1/2 lb. gun.
5) The Morris is a 4 1/2 lb. gun, not a 6 1/2 lb. gun.
1 member likes this
by Parabola
Parabola
Given that the engraving is original (Morris was primarily an engraver) “tarted up” is not the right description.

“Refinished to a high standard” - yes.
1 member likes this
by Parabola
Parabola
My .410 “Rottweil” (made in Italy, possibly by F.A.I.R. - Isidore Rizzini - anyone know for certain?) is built on a 28-bore frame,

An over and under, weighing about 6 1/2 lb. With 30” barrels it probably enjoys similar dynamics to the Poli, but I accept is not in the same class.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.