April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (gunmaker, LeFusil, Bob Blair, MattH, Karl Graebner, 1 invisible), 417 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,444
Posts544,807
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Imperdix, JBLondon, mc
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#611763 02/28/2022 4:56 PM
by Owenjj3
Owenjj3
A Boss RUL hammer gun appeared at an auction in Canada on Sunday. Boss Hammer Aside from the horrible description ("12 ga flintlock") a decent price was achieved of CAD$3000. A careful look at the rib inscription, not aided by the horrible photos, indicated that the barrels were by another and thus period replacements. I bid in the early stages but my max bid was eventually eclipsed. As far as the condition, I would say that the gun had been carried a fair amount as the engraving at hand was softened, but the lock plate was in much better shape. The replacement barrels looked strong and original to my untrained eye. Interestingly, there were about 20 additional photos posted on Friday that have since been taken down. The proof marks showed only BP proof from the Birmingham proof house. I always wonder...did perhaps a Canadian member on this forum win this one? Also, what can we glean from the sale price achieved?
Liked Replies
#612218 Mar 10th a 02:57 PM
by mbatten
mbatten
Regarding Boss #2935:

I must say that I am not disappointed with this gun - no buyer's remorse here.

The replacement barrels by Tolley are in very good shape - clean and without pitting, both measure around .730 and have at least .032 wall thickness. A trifle heavy, perhaps, but the balance point is slightly ahead of the hinge pin and the 7 lb, 2 oz weight will be good for clays. They are on-face with solid lock-up.
The Brazier locks remain in excellent condition with crisp trigger pulls around 4 to 4.5 pounds. I'm sure that the hammers are original and they hit the strikers smack in the centre. The screws are in good to excellent condition.

The metal is proud of the wood in places, but the stock is sound and wood-to-metal fit is excellent. I think many of the little dents can be steamed out. The leather case is all intact, with good stitching, solid straps and handle. Not an oak frame, but it has those lovely heavy brass corner protectors in place.

So there you have it - an old but unmolested Boss. I look forward to discovering more about its history.
3 members like this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.