April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
9 members (Der Ami, Mark II, Bob Jurewicz, SKB, Argo44, 1 invisible), 875 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,445
Posts544,832
Members14,406
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Dave Weber, Imperdix, LeFusil, Ted Schefelbein
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by 16 Shooter
16 Shooter
For those of you who have any interest or care of such things as French Sliding doubles, here is a Charlin for you to look at. This particular gun from what I can tell has not been used much. It still shows lots of case color and the wood shows very little use. It appears to be a Model A with one hare stamped on each barrel. At some point somebody took a saw to the stock but the gun fits me well with the recoil pad and extension. Most guns are not perfect. I have added a German leather sling that came from Germany on a new Merkel Over and Under back in the 60's. I don't know that a German sling fits a French gun but when I look at my ancestry, I am half German and about an 1/8th French so I guess it works for me. I have experience with R Series Darnes and know how there actions feel and I must say that after working this Charlin, the action does seem smoother to me but that is just my observation and I may be imagining things. I would not say that the design is better than a Darne considering I can not remove the sliding breech from the stock on a Charlin like I can on a Darne. I'm guessing this is a late 20's or earlier gun considering the short chambers but if anyone can add anything to it's approximate age and I am all ears. I am very satisfied with the overall gun. Enjoy the pictures.

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Liked Replies
by Hammergun
Hammergun
Very nice gun in great condition. I don't understand why someone would cut that stock. I hope it wasn't just to put the pad on. It kinda drives me nuts that most shooters think a recoil pad is a necessity.
1 member likes this
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
My Dad thought everything should have a pad. A big, ugly, white line pad. I don’t know why.

That gun is a 12, short of 6 1/2 lbs. I can visualize somebody complaining about recoil easily enough, and thinking a pad would help. I’ve not noticed that pads help with recoil all that much, for sure not as much as wisely choosing the load used in the gun. But, as the OP noticed, the gun fits him, and I would bet the stock was not too much longer when it was new, and the cut was just to get a flat surface for the pad. None of them, are long stocked, compared to current production guns. It is a pre war French gun. Short is common.

That gun has not been used very hard. But, it isn’t a museum piece, either, and a day afield would sure be enjoyable with it.

Best,
Ted
1 member likes this
by 16 Shooter
16 Shooter
That lever is the safety and it is stiffer if that is the right word compared to any Darnes I have handled.
1 member likes this
by AGS
AGS
I owned a Charlin I believe much older than yours. Ended up giving it to my daughter as a home protection gun when she went to college. I always had a Darne on my bucket list but was put off by the prices. I found the one I bought (very plain model 16 ga at Kittery Trading Post while on vacation for only a few hundred dollars. Mine actually was old enough to not have a safety. I thought thst strange until I realized the intent was to carry the gun with the action not snapped completely shut, then simply press down with your thumb as you mounted the gun. Really simple and within 5 minutes I found it faster than a safety,

I know Ted knows more than most of us have forgotten about these guns, but I will have to say that I found the one I had to be incredibly smoother than any of the Darnes I have ever examined.

As to the lost ball problem, I had to take it apart (inveterate tinkerer) and lost one. I was worried until I measured the other one and found they were a common sized hardened and polished metric ball bearing. I believe around 4mm. I bought a pack of 100 chrome plated stainless ones from McMaster Carr which fit perfectly. They also have tiny metric coil springs. For about $10 I had a liftem supply for an Charlin army. They worked so smoot, I changed both balls and both springs.

I also liked the push button barrel release. Took 2 seonds to remove the barrels for easy cleaning.

My final comment on the Charlin is all of them I have handled seem short. Somehow the geometry makes the "good feeling" LOP an 1" longer than normal for me. That may be why a lot of them have pasds installed, even though most of them are rather long to start with.
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.