April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (SKB, Jimmy W), 410 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,443
Posts544,800
Members14,405
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Thread Like Summary
Brittany Man, Hammergun, John Roberts, Stanton Hillis
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by tigertrout
tigertrout
Hi all, I am doing some research for a friend of mine who has just recently picked up a beautiful H and H double rifle manufactured in 1907.
It is a royal deluxe in 375 flanged, single trigger.
It was originally scoped from the factory, unfortunately over the years the scope and rings has disappeared, now we are trying to get some information.

Can anyone help identify what type of set up these bases are intended for...?

What type of rings would have accompanied them...?

and perhaps what type of scope would have been used in 1907 for this grade of firearm.....?

Thank you in advance for your help.

[img][img]https://i.ibb.co/80n5YRq/greg-s-h-and-h-scope-bases-pic.jpg[/img][/img]
Liked Replies
by tigertrout
tigertrout
At this junction, it is really about completing the original package, if the rifle was made at factory and sighted in at factory with a scope.......them it deserves a proper period scope.
Whether it gets shot with iron sights or with the scope or never shot at all is really not the point of the exercise. IMHO.
3 members like this
by bushveld
bushveld
Originally Posted by tigertrout
To mel5141, The factory records show that it was scoped at the factory and sighted in with the scope, so not a stretch.
bushveld, the rifle went back and was re-chambered to flanged magnum and re-proofed.

Tigertrout;

I suspected that your friends lovely H&H DR was re-chambered as many of the original H&H .375 Flanged Nitro Express 2 1/2" rifles were after the H&H .375 Flanged Magnum was introduced about 1912.

I assume that your reference above to the records of H&H showing the DR being scoped at factory was the original 1907 configuration as a .375 2 1/2" Flg. NE.

After it was re-chambered and re-proofed to H&H .375 Flg.Mag, do the H&H records show that it was then re-regulated to group shots with the scope mounted upon the barrels? If not, and in my experience in building and regulating DR barrels of .375 range calibers if your friend mounts a scope on the barrels he needs to expect to have the barrels regulated (de-soldered, new Holland type front barrel brace made[if it has the H&H type] to spread or converge the barrels, re-soldered and re-blacked), Further even if the DR was re-regulated at Holland's after re-chambering/re-proofing with a scope mounted. and your friend now attaches another scope and rings the scope/rings are unlikely to have the weight and mass distribution of the previous scope/rings to where the barrels will now group.

If you are not familiar with regulating DR barrels here is a link for you: https://www.vintageguns.co.uk/magazine/the-barrel-regulator

The significant difference between the H&H double rifle regulation and the description of the process from this "vintageguns.co" link is that after the completion of the regulating at the range, the DR goes back to the workshop to have a new front barrel brace machined/made via a milling machine to the exact distance in thousands of an inch between the front barrels and the exact diameter of the front barrels made and then fitted/soldered to the barrels---this brace incorporates the front sight ramp.

Kindest Regards;
Stephen Howell
1 member likes this
by Ted Schefelbein
Ted Schefelbein
A double rifle is an oddity......

Best,
Ted
1 member likes this
by John Roberts
John Roberts
Originally Posted by SKB
JR: That would depend upon your desires for the rifle. The .375 flanged magnum is a very capable rifle for plains game at a distance and many older hunters just cannot utilize the cartridge to its full potential with iron sights. I love iron sights and shoot them much more than most hunters but I struggle with them way more than I did 10 years ago. I'm afraid at some point I will have to be shooting mostly scoped rifles. This particular gun has been re-chambered moving more into shooter category than collector. I see no reason not to add optics to it if that is what the owner would like. It certainly will not hurt the value of the gun and may very well bring added enjoyment to the current owner. It may not be a wise endeavor financially but that is not my call.

All valid points, Steve. But you can bet you will have to take your cheek off the comb to see through a scope, which is not conducive to accurate or comfortable shooting. A modern scope on this old double rifle is going to look like whitewalls on a Rolls Royce. Jmo, but a double rifle with a scope on it is an oddity.
JR
1 member likes this
by SKB
SKB
It becomes about more than looks at some point. Any rifle that wears irons and a scope is a compromise, physics being what it is.

Well you could just buy a scoped bolt gun and be done with it:

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...ann-hands-416-rigby.cfm?gun_id=101802329
1 member likes this

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.